Thread: Transmission Fluid Type and Source?

My Cars
    BMW 5 series!!!

Transmission Fluid Type and Source?

So I just got done going thru my '00 M5 and '01 740i differential... and am looking to do my Transmission Fluid. I do have another '00 540 in the garage.

Because there are so many different threads on what fluid to use, I thought why not ask the dealer what they have.

For starter - Dealer couldn't tell me exactly what fluid I take unless I give them the VIN, and that's not enough, they need the label on the transmission as well.

I found the chart attached
    http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tranny/SD92-113.pdf

Has anyone found anything "different" than the chart? If not, my E39 540 and my E38 740 should use exactly the same (5HP24 (A5S 440Z)) - Y ESSO ATF LT 71141 - BMW PN 83 22 9 407 807 - 20 LITER BLUE.

Here comes my question. With car club discount, BMW dealer wanted over $160 for a 5 liter transmission fluid (MLT-2, not this one, but he said they are all similar in cost).

Also, it reads 20 liters- IF I was to flush it right, I need 20 liters? or $640 bucks just for the fluids?

What other "SAFE" alternatives can I use on the 540/740 auto? I am pretty determined to use BMW for the E39 M5 just because I can't decipher whether the thinner RP is really good in the long run for my higher mile car (120k mi) - and I can't source Redline anywhere near me.

Thoughts gentlemen for those having done this?

I originally thought maybe I won't even flush it completely - I'll just take off the pan, change the filter, and fill. I know that's just a drain and fill, but if I do that with every oil change or two, I end up with pretty clean oil anyway?
    How many liters would that take to just do a drain and fill? and if mixing different fluid in there (BMW vs. none BMW) would even be a good idea.

Hope I didn't open up a can of warm!!
    -----------------
    '94 E34 525ia 248k mi (since 83k)
    '00 E39 M5 126k mi (since 64k)
    '91 E34 M5 119 mi (since 110k)
    '00 E39 540iTa 98 mi (since 72k)
    '01 E38 740i M-sports 101k mi (since 95k)
    '07 E60 530i 53k mi (Newly added)

'01 E39 525iTa 92k mi (since 54k) Sold
    -----------------
    Koni Sport - E39 M5
    DVD Nav upgrade (from MKII) w/ 16x9 monitor - M5
    Bluetooth module - E39 M5 / 525ia
    CCFL Angel Eye - E39 M5
    CELIS tail lights - E39 M5
    Blinder direct wire - E39 M5
    V1 direct wire - ALL
    HID projector upgrade - 525ia / 525iTa
    Power Chip - 525ia
    Dinan/Koni suspension - E34 M5

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    I use Castrol Transmax Import Multi Vehicle it's rated LT71141, WalMart has it. I prefer to drain and fill multiple times (second and third time without the filter) to insure a complete fluid change out. Make sure to get a OE filter (Filtran) , gaskets, crush rings and a couple of extra pan bolts. Go to e38.org for some informative DIY's

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Hi!
    I would think you would be OK with any of the ATF's on EAC's website:
    http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/BM...9517/100147744

What is the last 7 of your VIN's?

Also, why could you not give the dealer the last 7 of you VIN's, and the number (or colored label on your transmission pan...?)

When is the production date of your cars?

I have used Amsoil Universal ATF with great success on my car.

I also found this very informative thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=577751

Link to BMA's site for ATF:
    http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...0Fluid&mode=PA

My threads:

LIFETIME FILL - I Don't Think So! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
    Jason5driver

LIFETIME FILL - ** ***! - Part II ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page) Jason5driver
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 08-07-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    I am in the same boat. My '02 has the ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z) "Green Tag". It looks like there is a fluid made by ZF (blue bottle). ZF fluid in a ZF tranny should be good, right? Anyone used it?

I am also curious as to whether I really need to drain and fill multiple times or if I can just do it once and call it good. Maybe do it once, then do it again next time an engine oil change is due, and then call it good? I know the capacity is 8.7 L for my trans but how much will I actually need for one drain/fill session? Is it actually going to drain the entire trans + torque converter?

Any help is appreciated.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by roarf View Post

I am in the same boat.

My '02 has the ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z) "Green Tag".

It looks like there is a fluid made by ZF (blue bottle).

1. ZF fluid in a ZF tranny should be good, right?
    Anyone used it?

2. I am also curious as to whether I really need to drain and fill multiple times, or if I can just do it once and call it good.

3. Maybe do it once, then do it again next time an engine oil change is due, and then call it good?

4. I know the capacity is 8.7 L for my trans, but how much will I actually need for one drain/fill session?

5. Is it actually going to drain the entire trans + torque converter?

Any help is appreciated.
    1. IMO, yes, the ZF ATF should be just fine to use in your ZF transmission.

Take a look at some ATF's you could use:
    http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/BM...9517/104666015

http://www.bmaparts.com/ShopByVehicl...0Fluid&mode=PA

Amsoil application for a 2002, 530i:
    http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/Produ...002+BMW+530i+8

Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT)

2. If you are going to replace the original ATF, you SHOULD replace the ATF at least 2 times, if not 3, in order to get most of the old ATF out.

3. You can replace the ATF once, drive around the block, then replace it again...
    Or, replace the ATF for the second time at your next oil change.
    It is up to you...

4. Just fill the transmission until it over-flows...
    If you look on the chart, for your transmission, the fluid capacity without the Torque Converter is 6.1 Liters. :
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5&postcount=62

5. When you drain the ATF, you are only draining the ATF that is in the transmission.
    There will still be old ATF left inside the Torque converter.
    Hence, the reason to replace the ATF shortly there-after, to get rid of the old ATF left over...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 09-17-2012 at 01:41 PM.

My Cars
    BMW & Lotus
    Ok, I didn't realize the torque converter wouldn't drain with the rest of the fluid. So maybe a 10-20 min. drive is good enough before doing an additional drain/fill? Do you replace the filter with the first drain/fill or second? Or both times?

Edit: With respect to the fluid choices, I can save quite a bit of money by getting the Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (friend of mine is a dealer) rather than the ZF Lifeguard fluid. On Amsoil's website, it actually says this fluid is a direct replacement for Esso LT 71141, which is the OEM fill for my trans. That's what you've been using, Jason?

http://www.amsoil.com/products/trans...fluid_rec.aspx
    Last edited by roarf; 09-17-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    '14 Evora S - Chrome Orange/Ebony
    '02 M5 - Carbon Black/Silverstone
    '15 M235i xDrive - Mineral Grey/Black

My Cars
    99 528i 15 Corvette Z51
    The M5 is a manual, but here are a few places:

http://www.thectsc.com/

http://www.xtremediesel.com/search.aspx?find=amsoil

Amsoil for the M5
    My 528 is a German Tank..
    My 2008 Chihuahua is Blue deal with it
    Always teaching now getting paid for it.

My Cars
    Dinan 540i6, 540iA Sport
    I'm against boutique lube manufacturers for technical reasons and cost. I don't believe they have the background or resources as an OEM to do all the testing and research needed. They are also often high in price and difficult to buy. I'm all for mom and pop shops, but this is one instance I go the other way.

The Getrag in the M5 has issues with a Redline fluid. I'd stick to the BMW fluid. No other fluid has had more extensive testing.
    Nick, BMW CCA Member #425357

2010 Mini JCW, Konis, NM RSe05 Wheels
    2002 M5, Silverstone, Caramel, Stock
    2001 540i/6, Jet Black, M5 suspension bits, Konis, Dinan Sprinkles, & His Autograph on the Strut Tower, UUC SSK, First Aid Kit
    2001 M5, Anthracite Metallic, Black Heritage Full Leather, Dinan Flywheel, Performance Clutch, UUC SSK, Selector Rod, First Aid Kit, Resto Project
    2000 540iA, Biarritz Blue, Sport, First Aid Kit, Resto Project
    1999 Dodge Viper GTS ACR, Viper Silver, Stock
    1994 Mazda Miata - Classic Red, The AutoX Experiment, Sold
    1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - Light Titanium Pearl Metallic, The Restomod, Sold
    1986 Lincoln Mark VII LSC - Medium Graphite Metallic, The Hot Rod

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

Ok, I didn't realize the torque converter wouldn't drain with the rest of the fluid.

1. So maybe a 10-20 minute drive is good enough before doing an additional drain/fill?

2. Do you replace the filter with the first drain/fill or second? Or both times?

Edit: With respect to the fluid choices, I can save quite a bit of money by getting the Amsoil Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (friend of mine is a dealer) rather than the ZF Lifeguard fluid.
    On Amsoil's website, it actually says this fluid is a direct replacement for Esso LT 71141, which is the OEM fill for my trans.
    3. That's what you've been using, Jason?

http://www.amsoil.com/products/trans...fluid_rec.aspx
    1. Yes, you should be fine doing that.

2. I would replace the filter and gasket on the second drain, IF you are draining only 10-20 minutes after the initial drain.

I replaced the filter and gasket both times, because I waited 10k miles between changes.

3. Yes, I used Amsoil Universal ATF.
    Just READ my thread and the links I posted above...

It is up to you as to what ATF to use in your car...

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    altho my bimmer doesn't have a/t, i do have two toyotas w/ a/t, and the mfr say to use toyota "T" fluid. like many here, i went ahead and used Redline D4 ATF after a full flush. yes, redline said D4 ATF is toyota "T" compatible. 3k miles later, my toyota's a/t started to shift gears w/ too much slip. so i flushed out the D4 and put back the toyota T. problem solved.

what i've learned w/ atf, is that each brand of fluid has a particular friction coefficient range. engineers will use this coefficient to design the clutch packs/discs to engage a certain way. And they will specify how thick and how light the clutch discs are to be made for the particular car. thus, if a fluid has a different coefficient than original, which i believe was in my case, it can cause the clutch discs to slip or wear out too soon.

btw, D4 atf is not cheaper than toyota T. So I didn't do this to save $$$.
    I wanted D4 ATF b/c the T fluid wasn't a synthetic atf. Caveat emptor.

My Cars
    2001/2002 530i 1999 528i
    I am in the same boat. My '02 has the ZF 5HP19 (A5S 325Z) "Green Tag". It looks like there is a fluid made by ZF (blue bottle). ZF fluid in a ZF tranny should be good, right? Anyone used it?

Any help is appreciated.
    I used ZF fluid on the 2001 at 90K with new filter and again at 140K without filter - still shifts perfectly.

I used a Chevron fluid on a 2002 I got last summer and cannot tell the difference from the ZF fluid