Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: '01 M5 swap, 5.3 LS, T56 with I6 subframe

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5

'01 M5 swap, 5.3 LS, T56 with I6 subframe

I've been meaning to start a build thread for a while. A few years ago I sold my '93 LS1 RX7 I built and I've been itching to build another car. I bought a junkyard 5.3 L59 from a '06 Suburban last fall to get the ball rolling, then the search started for a vehicle to swap. Early this spring I picked up a clean '01 M5, 90k miles with a blown engine, and have been slowly chipping away on it since. I went with the 5.3 because I wanted to eventually go forced induction.

I was first looking to do a Jag XJ8, maybe an XK8 but all the candidates I was finding were fairly rough. Those cars just didn't seem to hold up very well. Then I started looking at BMW or Mercedes then I ran across E39 M5s and was surprised that they were going relatively cheap (I suppose since the S62 engine has a rep for being brutally expensive to repair). I found Rao's thread with a google search and that gave me the final motivation. So I figured I'd pick one up and sell off the powertrain. Then I found one relatively local that had a blown engine, clean, low mile, '01 so it had the updated parts. I thought slam dunk and got the ball rolling.

It was a pain picking it up because the seller already had a shop pull the engine so it was a bit of a basket case. Plus it alway fun to pull a dead car up onto the car hauler, but got it all home with little drama. I

Since then I've been parting out the M5 powertrain, accumulating parts, getting the new powertrain mounted up and building up the 5.3 L59. I didn't like how far forward the E39 V8 subframe motor mounts were, and didn't care for the
    V8 steering gear so I decided to go with the I6 engine subframe. Mainly so that I could run the rack and pinion steering, but also so that I wouldn't have to worry about space for the A/C compressor.

I picked up a T56 from a '06 CTS-V from a local salvage yard. Since they have the weird 3 fingered flange and remote shifter they are less desired and quite a bit easier to find for a reasonable price. Since the M5 has a very similar transmission with the fixed output flange and remote shifter I figured it should be a good candidate. It has the larger car gearing, and has all the latest T56 revisions (improved synchros and a couple other things). For the clutch I'll be running a stage 2 Diamond setup.

I almost have the engine done. I sent the heads out to Total Engine Airflow to get ported, and also picked up a Trickflow 220/224-112 LSA cam. I picked up a LS6 intake and an Autokraft oil pan also. Just need to finish installing the Katech rod bolts and I can button up the engine. I also got the vette GMPP accessory drive kit. I'll be running an '04 GTO harness and PCM. I plan to use the M5 radiator and a set of Fbody fans I have setting around.

I got most of the I6 subrame hardware and steering rack already off ebay, only have the lower control arms and tierods left to get. I'll be getting those items new.

I got the engine and transmission mounts from Jesus Freak on the forum. I have to say he does some fantastic work and fast too. He has been an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I didn't do a very good job documenting my RX7 swap and I regret it now, so I'm hoping to do a better job this go round. Progress will likely be slow as I can only squeeze out a few hours on the weekends for the project. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next day or so.

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3

Looking forward to another E39 build. Supercharger or turbocharger?
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread

My Cars
    E39 540I

This should be good. Very much looking forward to this build. Please post pics of the vehicle and progress when you get a chance.

MODS: DIY intake, Res delete, Magnaflow #14816, Magnaflow cats, SSK, OEM M5 LUK clutch & PP, JBR LTWFW, Stage III driver

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Now for the pictures:

Engine procured, project officially started

Swap candidate acquired

As received, basket cases always make things fun, at least I got a free jack stand out of the deal

S62 in all it's ginormous glory

How to eliminate half of your M5's value, what rod bearing problem....

Chassis under the knife

I6 subrame in, fit check with new mounts
    Last edited by byrden; 08-06-2012 at 12:02 PM.

My Cars
    04 Allroad, F20c Lotus 7
    everytime I see an M5 I regret getting rid of mine.

Looking forward to seeing how your swap progresses

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by zr6sbc View Post

Looking forward to another E39 build. Supercharger or turbocharger?

I like the magnacharger setup myself, but it'll be probably a couple years before that happens. I want the car sorted out inside and out before I throw a supercharger into the mix.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53
    Nice m5... I personally can wait to finish my swap and race a guy at work that has a e60 m5 gonna put the hurt on him.. or thats the prediction those mounts look familiar
    clint
    2006 X5 L83 5.3 6l80 swapped in progress
    1999 528i 5.7L 4l60e swapped w/ 31 spline 8.8 cobra diff
    2007 ZX-10r - sold
    1987 R-10 SWB L83 5.3L 6L80e swapped

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Great build! I've been thinking about doing the same kind of swap with a 540i (never thought about the M5)....beautiful whip!

Android/Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Looks like you are off to a good start
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    99 323i?
    I just moved from Fredneck, MD. If I was still there I would of offered a hand. I have intentions of throwing a LS motor in my e46. Looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see some more progress.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I'm not sure about the choice to go with the rack and pinion. It sounds like a no-brainer on the surface, but I thought I read somewhere that the lock to lock was a lot slower on the rack and pinion than on the M5 steering box. Was space really a deal breaker with the steering box, or was it just a bit tight?

Overall I can't wait to see this project come along!!!!

My Cars
    E36 Hamann Widebody
    GL!

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Nice to finally see some build pics! Donor car looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing updates.

My Cars
    2002 540i
    sick!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    Looks like you are off to a good start
    Thanks, and thank you for the inspiration!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster138 View Post
    I just moved from Fredneck, MD. If I was still there I would of offered a hand. I have intentions of throwing a LS motor in my e46. Looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see some more progress.
    Appreciate the would be offer! I have a buddy at work that has a nice e46, I keep trying to convince him to put an LS in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    I'm not sure about the choice to go with the rack and pinion. It sounds like a no-brainer on the surface, but I thought I read somewhere that the lock to lock was a lot slower on the rack and pinion than on the M5 steering box. Was space really a deal breaker with the steering box, or was it just a bit tight?

Overall I can't wait to see this project come along!!!!
    Space for the steering box is not a deal breaker by any means people have done e39 swaps with either setup. I preferred the rack and pinion setup and went that direction.

I cant say for sure but I've read that the I6 rack and pinion ratio is about the same as the M5 box. It's the 540 box that had the slower ratio. Either way, to me the pros outweighed the cons to go with the rack and pinion setup. The rack and pinion setup has less joints/linkages to wear and maintain. Plus, the recirc ball setups tend to be a bit numb.

My Cars
    E30 v8, Z3 coupe
    Can't wait for the finished project.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by byrden View Post
    I cant say for sure but I've read that the I6 rack and pinion ratio is about the same as the M5 box. It's the 540 box that had the slower ratio. Either way, to me the pros outweighed the cons to go with the rack and pinion setup. The rack and pinion setup has less joints/linkages to wear and maintain. Plus, the recirc ball setups tend to be a bit numb.
    Thank you!

I really am in love with this project. Are you comfortable disclosing what you found blown engine M5s going for? I think I'd rather M5-ize my 540 some more to do a project like this some day, but maybe not....

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Thank you!

I really am in love with this project. Are you comfortable disclosing what you found blown engine M5s going for? I think I'd rather M5-ize my 540 some more to do a project like this some day, but maybe not....
    Well, I was actually looking to buy a perfectly fine M5 and selling off the good powertrain. It was dumb luck that I found one with a blown engine that was close enough to pick up myself. During my search that was the only one I found with a blown engine that was for sale. There were a number of wrecked cars for sale/parting out, as it doesn't take much to total an M5 with it's value so relatively low (they went for $70k+ new...I have the cars original window sticker).

I bought the car for about half of what it would have fetched with a good engine. I sold about $2k worth of parts from the old drivetrain, not bad considering the engine was almost completely hosed.

If your 540 is clean and you really want all the M5 parts, you could find a wrecked M5. Swap the stuff you want and sell off what you don't. If the engine is good you could potentially get $4-6k for that alone. This option would be alot of work though.

My Cars
    1999 bmw 540i6
    yay another ls swap thread! subscribed! i think in up to 5 that im tracking ;p one of these days i will be able to afford my own, what power output are you looking to get out of the l59? i know its the economical choice but hopefully you can push some power similar or more than the m5

Sent from my microwave using BF.com

My Cars
    99 528iT
    Looking good! I'm shopping for my new drivetrain now, and I'll keep an eye on your thread.
    :: 1999 BMW 528iT ::
    LS3 / T56 swapped

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by KenRyan View Post
    yay another ls swap thread! subscribed! i think in up to 5 that im tracking ;p one of these days i will be able to afford my own, what power output are you looking to get out of the l59? i know its the economical choice but hopefully you can push some power similar or more than the m5

Sent from my microwave using BF.com
    I'm guessing with the mods it'll make around 350 whp give or take. I believe stock M5's put out 320-330 to the wheels. If I ever get the magnacharger on then I'll be shooting for about 500 at the wheels.
    With the iron block and lower compression they make for good boost candidates. Plus, since you can find $500 short blocks all day long it wont sting as much if you pop one.

My Cars
    2000 540iT, many others
    Will be watching this one progress.... My 00 540iT has 172K on it, and I believe I'll be getting the wife a new(er) car soon. With what 12 year old 5 series go for, its not worth it to sell. I could get ALOT of enjoyment out of a LS/T56, for a long time. My biggest 'concern' is interfacing all the instrumentation to work like the factory. I don't want any interior evidence of the transplant....

You've got spectators!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Made some progress. Engine is back together, clutch hydraulics worked out, clutch and transmission installed, engine/trans installed back into the car.

Since this is a CTSV transmission had to install the Katech clutch actuator spacer to use the CTSV actuator without the Caddys dual mass flywheel. The CTSV actuator hydraulic line connection uses the same metric bubble flare as the M5's clutch slave. So I reused the M5 hydraulic line and just bent it around to work. After putting the trans in the car the line needs a little tweaking from what is shown below.

Engine together for the most part

Diamond Stage II clutch/flywheel installed with a "block saver" plate behind it to close out the lower front of the bellhousing, since I'm using the sheet metal Autokraft oil pan (for subframe clearance).

Transmission on

Bought some ebay 2010 Camaro shorty headers to cut up. Plan is to graft the stock M5 "tri-y" headers into these and use the balance of the stock M5's exhaust. I'm guessing the M5 exhaust should flow fairly well since it was intended to support 400 fwhp.

Engine/trans back in car with LS6 intake setting on top

My Cars
    '95 M3, 97' E39 540i-LS3
    Looking great. I too think the M5 exhaust would work well and sure accelerates the project.
    540i-LS3-TR6060 swap thread

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528
    Very nice progress. Everything is very clean and tidy, keep up the good work. Also looking forward to more updates.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast