Thread: Need help picking a clutch

My Cars
    2002 530i

Need help picking a clutch

Hey all...

After nearly 250k mi my car's due for a clutch and flywheel replacement and I wanted to get your input. I don't race, I do a lot of city driving though.

Unfortunately I am also tight on cash so I'm not really looking at UUC, JB Racing or the like. I'm looking at Gripforce (they sell those popular "F1" kits on eBay) and I'm down between two choices:

Choice A:
    Chromoly flywheel, Sachs OEM clutch (non-sprung)

Choice B:
    Chromoly flywheel, segmented Kevlar sprung hub clutch

I understand that without a sprung hub, vibrations from gear changing will transfer directly through the driveshaft... but I don't want to glaze over the Kevlar from all my stop-and-go driving.

So what's the lesser of two evils here?
    2002 530i auto

Sold:
    2008 MINI Clubman S
    1995 525i manual

My Cars
    -02 530i
    Both are evil, but B is more so. You want either the flywheel or the clutch disc to be sprung in a DD that you don't race. If Gripforce doesn't have such a kit, check Valeo. That manufacturer have a single-mass flywheel / sprung-disc combo kit for M50 engines that sells through various vendors for about the same money as the Gripforce you linked to.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by granlund View Post
    Both are evil, but B is more so. You want either the flywheel or the clutch disc to be sprung in a DD that you don't race. If Gripforce doesn't have such a kit, check Valeo. That manufacturer have a single-mass flywheel / sprung-disc combo kit for M50 engines that sells through various vendors for about the same money as the Gripforce you linked to.
    Like the kit on the bottom of this page?
    http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...lutch_kit.html
    2002 530i auto

Sold:
    2008 MINI Clubman S
    1995 525i manual

My Cars
    -02 530i
    Yep, that's the one.

My Cars
    E34 M5
    Why half ass it..use a Sachs/Valeo. Lasted this long

My Cars
    03 540i M Sport/95 525iT
    Quote Originally Posted by samteezy View Post
    Hey all...

After nearly 250k mi my car's due for a clutch and flywheel replacement and I wanted to get your input. I don't race, I do a lot of city driving though.

Unfortunately I am also tight on cash so I'm not really looking at UUC, JB Racing or the like. I'm looking at Gripforce (they sell those popular "F1" kits on eBay) and I'm down between two choices:

Choice A:
    Chromoly flywheel, Sachs OEM clutch (non-sprung)

Choice B:
    Chromoly flywheel, segmented Kevlar sprung hub clutch

I understand that without a sprung hub, vibrations from gear changing will transfer directly through the driveshaft... but I don't want to glaze over the Kevlar from all my stop-and-go driving.

So what's the lesser of two evils here?
    I purchased choice A for my E36 328iC and it is the same application as E34. I did not like the pressure plate and disc design compared to the M5 Sachs clutch used with the UUC aluminum flywheel. I returned it under their 30 day return policy. I lost money on the shipping and 15% restocking fee but feel I made the right decision. I have the UUC unit in my touring. The Sachs pressure plate and disc used in the Gripforce product is much less robust construction. This is a case where you get what you pay for. Given the amount of labor involved in replacing the clutch, I will opt for a more expensive unit. Stop and go driving can be very hard on a clutch even thought it does not have the peak loads seen during aggressive driving and shifting.

Another path to consider is using the single mass flywheel used on the earlier E34 with M20 engine. I believe the E28 M5 clutch will bolt up to this flywheel and it is sprung hub. I am pretty sure some forum members have gone this route and saved some money. Search the forum and you should find more info. You will also need to get a different starter to mate up with that flywheel. More work for you to find the parts but probably a better solution than Gripforce for the money.
    Last edited by Mark185; 08-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.

My Cars
    2002 530i
    After a LOT of research I think I'm going with the Valeo kit, because it's the cheapest solution (Amazon has it for $410) that includes a flywheel AND a sprung hub clutch.

My second choice would have been the carbon/kevlar choice because it has a sprung hub, but I do a LOT of in-town driving and I fear I'd glaze over that kevlar before you could say "that was a bad idea."

Unfortunately I have to pay a shop to install it for me, so hopefully this will be a cost-effective solution to getting a clutch and flywheel installed for just about $1,000 (got quoted $540 for six hours' labor by DBMW in Jacksonville, FL).
    2002 530i auto

Sold:
    2008 MINI Clubman S
    1995 525i manual

My Cars
    '11 Golf TDI+Porsche 996
    I can get a Luk kit for 200$, no fly wheel though if you're interested
    I own mostly junk. Except the Porsche, that's kind of cool.
    All the motorcycles are trash which you can read about at
    http://oneguytwowheels.blogspot.com/

I'll update it eventually

Thansk

My Cars
    525iT e34 325iT e30
    i rock a sachs kit with a 618 plate...

m20 wheel lathed down w a m20 starter

BMW E34 Touring 92/8 525/5 Electrical black sports leather, 3.73 LSD. Black on black
    BMW E30 Touring 89/3 325/5 Manual black sports leather, 3.91 LSD. Diamond Black on black
    - From sweden yah b0rk b0rk b0rk -

My Cars
    1997 E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by samteezy View Post
    After a LOT of research I think I'm going with the Valeo kit, because it's the cheapest solution (Amazon has it for $410) that includes a flywheel AND a sprung hub clutch.

My second choice would have been the carbon/kevlar choice because it has a sprung hub, but I do a LOT of in-town driving and I fear I'd glaze over that kevlar before you could say "that was a bad idea."

Unfortunately I have to pay a shop to install it for me, so hopefully this will be a cost-effective solution to getting a clutch and flywheel installed for just about $1,000 (got quoted $540 for six hours' labor by DBMW in Jacksonville, FL).
    do you guys know if this will fit on 1997 528i 5 speed. how is the clutch now btw. thank you very much in advance

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    It should, but the E39 forum is where you want to ask that.

My experience:
    1. Lightweight solid flywheels are better than heavy dual-mass ones.
    2. Aggressive clutches on cars that don't deserve them will make you hate life.
    3. Solid clutch *and* solid flywheel together will annoy you, and make it more likely that you'll break something (something expensive) in a hard launch. One of them should be sprung.
    Last edited by moroza; 03-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.