Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potentially buying 2000 540i with broken timing chain guides - input?

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i

2000 540i with broken timing chain guides project.

Hey guys,

Found 2000 540iA, 128Kmiles. Cheap. Less than 2K. But according to the owner:

I do not believe that the chains slipped or any valves have been hit as the car has not been run since it started making the unusual sound caused by the chain running over the damaged plastic guides - the car was shut down immediately. According to the BMW mechanic who will not let it be run it apppears that the plastic covering on the chain guide(s) have shattered and they need to be replaced.
    He also says that mechanic wanted $2800 to fix it.

I am not very familiar with the V8 M62 engine, how hard will be to replace those plastic guides and what is the probability the timing chain slipped (and how to figure this out)? I am pretty experienced in fixing cars (replaced timing belts on Toyota's V6, recently finished 6 spd manual tranny swap on my 330ci). I bet I'd need timing tool, right?
    Last edited by NervoS; 03-11-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: title

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    The guide rails are toast (very standard but maybe a bit early mileage-wise), $2800 is about right to fix it.

It's a pretty big job and you have to buy or rent timing tools ($300 if you buy). There are a few people on the board who will rent them with a full deposit.

Use Topaz's DIY to get the lower timing case off
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1762780
    Then search there are a bunch of timing chain rail DIYs though in his DIY he also links to the TIS that covers it.

If you did a 6 speed swap on a 330CI I'm sure you can tackle it. Make sure you also buy a new timing chain tensioner
    Last edited by aspensilver540; 07-28-2012 at 08:12 PM.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Thanks for the quick reply! So, when this happens - what is the probability the TC snapped and bent valves?

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Low probability as it is most likely just the tc guide rail failure. My buddy just spent $3900 to get his repaired a while ago so $2800 is relatively cheap IMO. Timing chain failure is very rare iirc but it does happen. I think they can look inside using a probing camera, which would confirm that it is just the guide rail...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com
    Last edited by ViolinARC; 07-28-2012 at 08:21 PM.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    12Cool covered it. I would strongly consider doing a ton of other maintenance (or at least inspecting the following areas) if you are going to strip the engine down this far -- intake manifold & throttle body gaskets, CCV/breather pipe, valley pan, upper timing case gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and of course cooling system -- water pump (check for seepage near weep hole, can be sign of aging/dying pump, Tstat, radiator, fan clutch. You can see the year of the radiator by removing a rubber strip on top of the radiator. If you have a Nissen or old radiator, consider replacing. If the expansion tank is not BMW, absolutely replace as it is very easy and the non OEM have a really bad failure rate. Check engine mount condition, sagging mounts can lead to fan making impact and exploding. My fan when replaced was already making contact with the shroud and was nicked up really bad. Of course any aging hoses that you see

sounds rediculous but hey you'd have an amazing car when done. At that mileage you may be going back to all those spots soon if things like CCV and water pump aren't done or the expansion tank is non-oem.
    Last edited by aspensilver540; 07-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    you can always to a compression check to test if any valves are bent. If you put a socket on the crank pully bolt you can turn the engine by hand with a ratchet.

i believe autozone most likely rents the compression kit.
    Last edited by topaz540i; 07-28-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Thanks, guys! I requested VIN and pics and if both these items will satisfy me, I'll be out to look and, potentially, grab the beast.

So, I got reply from the guy, checked the VIN. No bad records - good. Pics looks ok too, headlights are dim, paint faded, interior is not new either, but the car is not trashed. Also, according to the owner, alternator was replaced about 2 yrs ago and the ABS module was rebuilt abt 3 yrs ago. Oil changed every 7500 miles, tranny was replaced at 71kmiles due to infamous no-reverse issue (I thought it happened only to 5hp19, though). A couple pics:

Asking a bit less than 2k. What do you guys think?
    I am definitely going to have a look at the car. A big minus - it has auto tranny and worse - it is not even steptronic. So, another 6 spd swap will be looming if I jump into the ship. But first of all I'd need to take car of the engine. I am going to DIY, of course (otherwise I wouldn't bother). Too bad it is not a wagon, I love wagons but 540its are too rare.
    Last edited by NervoS; 07-29-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Sorry for a link to another forum (I love bimmerforums and bimmerfest equally!), but here it is:
    I'VE BOUGHT THE CAR FOR $1600
    ----- NervoS aka Nervous -----

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by NervoS View Post
    Sorry for a link to another forum (I love bimmerforums and bimmerfest equally!), but here it is:
    I'VE BOUGHT THE CAR FOR $1600

Use this to scan for codes.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Really? Is it the round connector that duplicates a regular OBD-II socket? So, I can't use a regular OBD-II cable to connect INPA/PASoft on this car and I have to use this round one, right?

My Cars
    2000 528i; 2000 M5
    You can use the under the dash OBD port on a MY 2000, but it won't read all the modules.

You're better off using the under the hood one. Just buy the adapter on ebay or someplace similar.

Good luck.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Thanks, man, for the info! Will do!

My Cars
    540i 6spd (11/98)
    I'd rather light $1600 on fire than buy an automatic 540i with beige interior, no sport package, and a broken engine. However, good luck with your project. The timing chain guides aren't hard, just very time consuming.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by E39 6spd View Post
    I'd rather light $1600 on fire than buy an automatic 540i with beige interior, no sport package, and a broken engine.
    You are welcome to do so!

Quote Originally Posted by E39 6spd View Post
    However, good luck with your project. The timing chain guides aren't hard, just very time consuming.
    Thanks! I haven't decided yet what I'll do with the car after I fix the engine. I am not the fan of beige interior either, but it should be better than my 330ci black interior in summer.
    As to automatic.... I already have 6MT 330ci in my household, quite enough for now. My wife doesn't drive manual, so as a family sedan 540iA is not bad. I always can do 6 spd swap to it, if I want to.
    Broken engine.... Try to find 540iA with non-broken engine, with the same mileage, same conditions and records for these money and report back. I'll wait patiently.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    I thought this was a friend's car - but his is a facelilft 540 6 speed with similar timing issues for similar price, in 1000% better condition than the car you bought. around the Columbia, MD area.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Link? I can buy another one. Seriously.

My Cars
    325iT, 540iT
    Really? Is it the round connector that duplicates a regular OBD-II socket? So, I can't use a regular OBD-II cable to connect INPA/PASoft on this car and I have to use this round one, right?
    If it's got the 20 pin connector, you need to use that with INPA. You can probably get away with using an OBD to ADS adapter tho. The OBD2 port is only going to do the bare minimum required by federal law.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by blarf View Post
    If it's got the 20 pin connector, you need to use that with INPA. You can probably get away with using an OBD to ADS adapter tho. The OBD2 port is only going to do the bare minimum required by federal law.
    Ah! That explains it! Thanks!
    Last edited by NervoS; 08-02-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03' 330i ZHP
    You are welcome to do so!

Broken engine.... Try to find 540iA with non-broken engine, with the same mileage, same conditions and records for these money and report back. I'll wait patiently.

I am selling my 540iA with 150k miles for $1k, similar condition. Can't decide if i want to repair or just get rid of. I have an e30 m3 that also has a blown engine and takes highest priority.

I have a craigslist up, but because i am a "new member" it wont let me post. Check San Luis Obispo craigslist search for 1999 BMW 540i if interested.
    Last edited by zoltron8; 08-19-2012 at 02:12 PM.

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Here we go: http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/3210570652.html
    1K - is a great deal. Too bad it is a head gasket issue: much more difficult to fix than TC guides (in my opinion). Nevertheless - GLWS!

My Cars
    13' 535I XDrive
    Ran into a similar issue with a 528i, had a spare engine but all the incidentals still put me up at 4k after clutch, seals, and preventative maintenance. So they aren't always a good deal because of other maintenance needed.

You can rent the timing toolkit (www.bimmertoolrental.com) but i would suggest you do all the preventative maintenance possible if you plan to keep the car. It is a little more expensive but you don't have to pull it back apart.

Best of luck! I am glad i built the 528 in the end. Great daily driver and good on gas. Plus i don't have to put miles on the 550i! That thing is a gas hog ...

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Thanks, I am definitely doing all the maintenance (seals, fluid, plastic stuff like OSV, hoses, etc).
    As to timing tools: I think I'll just buy them and then sell on ebay if I decide I don't need them anymore. I like to take time and 30 days of rental period won't be enough for me... I am surprised that there none used m62tu timing tool kits on ebay, btw....

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Thanks, I am definitely doing all the maintenance (seals, fluid, plastic stuff like OSV, hoses, etc).
    As to timing tools: I think I'll just buy them and then sell on ebay if I decide I don't need them anymore. I like to take time and 30 days of rental period won't be enough for me... I am surprised that there none used m62tu timing tool kits on ebay, btw....

My Cars
    e34, e39
    If you really want a wagon, mine's for sale. Same color combo. And I have to admit I really like the sand interior, it makes the interior very bright and airy.

I just posted a bunch of photos in another thread, search for threads started by me if you can't find it.

Good luck with the project!

Ian
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A leakdown test will reveal damaged valves and only requires the engine to be turned over by hand. If seller objects you know the answer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast