Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye supercharger!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster

Bye bye supercharger!

Well it has been fun, but after this HG blew (140k stock HG). I've been boosted for maybe 12-15k miles. I will be doing a motor rebuild and going turbo.

I'm hoping to achieve 500-600rwhp.

The definite parts of this build will include:

Things I'm unsure of:
    • Turbo
    • Manifold (although I'm really considering the MaxPSI twin scroll)
    • HG (leaning towards the cutring gasket)

At the moment I still plan on purchasing WK446's cyl. head with 1mm over sized Ferrea stainless steel valves and mild port.

I'm going to let the shop (Noribilt) that's putting together the piping/intercooler have a choice when it comes to the BOV and wastegate.

I'll be having a local shop build the motor for me. They did tell me to wait before I order pistons just in case the block is not within spec or we need to order oversized pistons. Something around 3-4k to build it. Plans are for them to build the motor, and once that's said and done drop it back off to Noribilt and have them take care of the rest.

Is there anything that is a MUST while already there? Things I have listed so far include:
    • Timing Chain
    • Chain Tensioner
    • Guide Rail
    • Oil Pump w/ wired OPN

Things I'll have for sale:
    1. RMS Headers (coated from RMS)
    2. AA StgII Z3 Supercharger (C38)
    3. TMS Shorty Headers (coated by Cradin Industries)
    4. VAC Motorsport Supercharger cams

If anyone is interested in some of these items, e-mail me a_jajou @ hotmail.com (no spaces).

This project will start after I finish this car cover group buy I'm hosting, it's tying up all of my money atm. I haven't started tearing anything apart, yet.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Sorry to hear about the head gasket. How much boost were you pushing?

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    A wise decision for a MINTY car.

McScribed.

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    Sounds good to me! Go with something that will spool early and yet can still ring out 600whp like a gtx35r

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    Don't know your timeline of when you want to truly get started or finished.

But might be worth it to see what my car does in a few short weeks...

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    Sorry to hear about the head gasket. How much boost were you pushing?
    About 10 psi. However I'm not sure that it was all the boosts fault. I've had some problems with the Zionsville + Spal Fan + TX heat and AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
    Sounds good to me! Go with something that will spool early and yet can still ring out 600whp like a gtx35r
    Yeah, I'm thinking about going that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    Don't know your timeline of when you want to truly get started or finished.

But might be worth it to see what my car does in a few short weeks...
    I don't really have a timeline, when it's done it's done. I already haven't been driving it for 2-3 months

I'm sure I'll see the outcome of yours before I get started on mine. Remember the GB for the car covers? Well I decided to go through and pay for everyone's cover up front (that's 50 covers + seatcovers/wheel covers). So once that money gets back to me I'll have more updates for the turbo build.

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    A wise decision for a MINTY car.

McScribed.
    I was considering building the motor and stay s/c but that would have been a bigger waste of money!

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    A few comments:

Consider your intended use of the car before deciding to get 8.5:1 - 9:1 or higher might suit you better;
    The 803 MAF will not flow enough for a turbo setup - you need a MAF that your tuner suggests;
    There are many OBD-II options out now, consider all of them;
    Turbo - you don't want anything > GT35 profile if you liked the delivery of the S/C - bigger is laggier;
    Manifold - your power goals don't suggest you need anything fancy - I'd get one that you can replace easily if it cracks;
    HG - cut ring or stock with figure 8;
    BOV - Synapse, hands down - don't get a crappy one;
    Wastegate - Tial MV-S is really all you will need;

Basically everything in the engine needs blueprinted and possibly replaced. Bearings, main studs, head studs, chains, retainers, etc. It adds up quick. A correctly, fully built S52 will cost you $6k+ and a core.

Also consider the extras like baffling the oil pan, etc.

If it was me, I wouldn't do any of the bottom end work for a 500whp goal. I'd slap it back together with a cut-ring gasket - the stock S52 bottom end will take some serious abuse - just wire the OPN so yours doesn't end up like my first engine.

Also, it's time now to think about all the supporting mods. You'll need a good clutch/flywheel (a supercharger setup won't handle the torque). Also, make sure your subframe reinforcement can handle the torque (normal reinforcements will not hold up). And you should change your transmission and engine mounts to solids in the Z3 chassis as tolerances are VERY tight and you don't want to shift and crush anything.

Turbo is twice as bad as S/C, it will cost 4x as much as you expect and take 8x longer.

Have fun, and let us know if you have any questions.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    On that note... Jonathan, what mounts are you using for motor and trans right now? I have to buy mine like, yesterday.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post
    A few comments:

Consider your intended use of the car before deciding to get 8.5:1 - 9:1 or higher might suit you better;
    The 803 MAF will not flow enough for a turbo setup - you need a MAF that your tuner suggests;
    Turbo - you don't want anything > GT35 profile if you liked the delivery of the S/C - bigger is laggier;
    Manifold - your power goals don't suggest you need anything fancy - I'd get one that you can replace easily if it cracks;

Basically everything in the engine needs blueprinted and possibly replaced. Bearings, main studs, head studs, chains, retainers, etc. It adds up quick. A correctly, fully built S52 will cost you $6k+ and a core.

If it was me, I wouldn't do any of the bottom end work for a 500whp goal. I'd slap it back together with a cut-ring gasket - the stock S52 bottom end will take some serious abuse - just wire the OPN so yours doesn't end up like my first engine.

Also, it's time now to think about all the supporting mods. You'll need a good clutch/flywheel (a supercharger setup won't handle the torque). Also, make sure your subframe reinforcement can handle the torque (normal reinforcements will not hold up). And you should change your transmission and engine mounts to solids in the Z3 chassis as tolerances are VERY tight and you don't want to shift and crush anything.

Turbo is twice as bad as S/C, it will cost 4x as much as you expect and take 8x longer.

Knowledge post.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    On that note... Jonathan, what mounts are you using for motor and trans right now? I have to buy mine like, yesterday.
    Drivers side is an IE poly. Passenger side is a TRM arm and "custom" dvcee mount (a poly cylinder with a bolt hole drilled in it). Vorshlag ones are supposed to work nice too.

For the trans I have AKG 75Ds. They may be a bit too stiff as I've broken the trans crossmember already launching it at the strip.

My Cars
    FrankBuilt 95 TRM3
    803 maf, what's that?

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianLove View Post
    803 maf, what's that?
    Porsche 803 MAF....google it and you'll see many setups ran that MAF for a while
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy View Post

Thanks Jonathan!

So far I've got a UUC Flywheel(I'll probably need a new clutch), uuc red transmission mounts, and Vorshlag engine mounts. I've already got some quotes from MaxPSI for bearings/pistons/rods. I'm also working on a excel sheet, kinda sloppy right now but it's getting there.

I would love to keep a stock bottom end but I really want to be on the safe side and try to do it once (yes I know probably won't end up happening but worth a shot).

I already had Vorshlag address the subframe. I kind of felt bad looking at the guy who's doing this right now the stock mount is so skimpy and thin.

A lot of out of state shops were way above 6k+ for a motor build. I found a place locally that will do a good job for cheaper. I will be supplying rods, pistons, wk446's cyl head, hg, chain tensioner, guide rails, timing chain.

I will be getting rallyroad's clutch pivot pin and will also be getting 325 slave.

Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Does your "local" shop have any proven experience building the x5x engine? It sounds like that's a no. Reason I say is that a competent shop won't encourage you to get your own parts. Additionally it sounds like they don't know what all need replaced (everything). Not being negative, just telling you to proceed with caution - these are a bit different than a "normal" engine, especially when building for FI.

My Cars
    Unicycle
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoupemindy
    Does your "local" shop have any proven experience building the x5x engine? It sounds like that's a no. Reason I say is that a competent shop won't encourage you to get your own parts. Additionally it sounds like they don't know what all need replaced (everything). Not being negative, just telling you to proceed with caution - these are a bit different than a "normal" engine, especially when building for FI.
    What's different from a 'normal' engine?

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster

Thumbs up Longest weekend ever.

The car hasn't been running (properly) since around April '12. After reading reviews for transporting companies and getting worried about a lot of negative reviews (not from every company). Anywhere from $500-1100 range. I didn't want to risk anything so I decided to take the car to Atlanta myself.

It was a bit of struggle getting a non-running car onto a trailer, thank god my brother came to help when he did.

My first time trailer-ing anything behind my truck so it was an interesting experience. Super low MPG. I was pretty nervous in the beginning but I got pretty confident towing. I forgot that I had the car behind me at times and thought who the F* is tailgating me!

I didn't do one day of driving from San Antonio to Atlanta. We drove down to Houston the first night and left at 4 a.m. Driving in ATL traffic at night with a trailer was definitely not fun.

We arrived at Technica Motorsports around 6-7 p.m. safe and sound (just super duper tired 13-14hour drive). I don't think my eyes have ever felt THAT tired.

They've got some awesome cars in their shop. A super clean E30 from Illinois. Their S54 turbo E36 - fired right up, idled perfectly on start up. Super impressive stuff.

I will keep this thread updated as much as I can.

Right now these are for sure:

• Built bottom end (Molnar Rods and JE Pistons)
    • Used cyl. head (built and ported) - will be checked prior to install
    • Driven Innovations Intake Manifold
    • GT3582R T3
    • Spa Turbo Manifold
    • Custom exhaust
    • AMS 500 boost controller
    • UUC Twin Disk Clutch

Things I will have for sale in the upcoming month or two... (this is not a for sale thread hence no pricing just to let folks know to keep their eyes peeled)
    • AA StgII Supercharger Z3M Kit (S52)
    • Zionsville Competition Cooling Radiator w/ offset SPAL fan - fits all Z's some E36's
    • Rogue Engineering differential cover (this may be spoken for)
    • TMS Shorty Headers
    • UUC Lightweight flywheel
    • Stromung Exhaust
    • M50 Manifold
    • VAC SC Cams

Last edited by jajou318; 11-19-2012 at 06:25 PM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Wise choice in taking it there. Hi 5
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I always hate the drive through Atlanta on my way to Orlando....I lost my carbon fiber lip on 75 S through there...I tell everyone at BMW meets I lost it at "Road Atlanta" at first....
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Any solid ideas as to why your car has not been running properly in a long time?

What changes were made?

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Wise choice in taking it there. Hi 5
    Yeah definitely was, they are pumped to do the build and I'm excited as they are
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    I always hate the drive through Atlanta on my way to Orlando....I lost my carbon fiber lip on 75 S through there...I tell everyone at BMW meets I lost it at "Road Atlanta" at first....
    lol. Sounds more exciting than losing it on their massive highways.

Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    Any solid ideas as to why your car has not been running properly in a long time?

What changes were made?
    It wasn't running properly cause the headgasket blew and was leaking into a cyl. Making the motor sound like a lopey v8. Before that I was loosing coolant and loosing coolant. Kind of like that other guy's thread with the AA kit.

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    think about covering up the front of the car for the ride home. assuming you are trailering it home.

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    The Supercharger club membership is going into the negative.

I don't think we even have enough to be called a club. I think we are now classified as a cult.

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95

I don't think we even have enough to be called a club. I think we are now classified as a cult.
    It will make a comeback ; )
    Just like Chuck Taylors

FS: GT35R82 T4 $950 (less than 1,000 miles)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1916720
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    skateboard
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanks95 View Post

It's never late keep that in mind....
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

Tanks95 is offline M3s Only Have Two Doors BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    I6 & V8 ///M
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    It's never late keep that in mind....
    I will not convert!

i need to find a turbo car to go beat up on this weekend?

OP: I like the color of your car. This build is already looking like it will be a monster!

If your M3 doesn’t have 3 pedals and 2 doors, I would really consider contacting BMW to confirm the authenticity of your incorrectly badged mid-sized family sedan.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast