Thread: When programing the key does not work, HELP!

My Cars
    540i, 740il

When programing the key does not work, HELP!

Hi
    I have a 95 E38, with 220,000. The first problem was the key remote quit working over a year ago, no problem just used the key. Second thing that happen was the ignition key would freely turn all around sometimes, then one time it just locked up, steering wheel was free to turn but I could not turn the key to start, fixed that by taking the bottom of the column off and use a screw driver to turn the switch. So I tryed to start the car a few days ago and no luck nothing but the lights, ac radio, but no starter. I have tried again to program my key, got new batteries and still no luck! So now I have tried to find solutions and no luck! I can buy a used column and switch with a different key, but will that fix it? What steps should I take to eliminate, so I can get my car going again, I will buy used or new, but I need some help.
    Thanks for reading and hope you have an idea!

Sam

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Did you check for codes? Your EWS module may be faulty.

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by kimokk View Post
    Did you check for codes? Your EWS module may be faulty.
    Thanks
    How do I do that? Is there a post that will help me?

Sam

My Cars
    E34M, E36M, E38
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrimm

Thanks
    How do I do that? Is there a post that will help me?

Sam
    You can borrow a generic code reader at any of the auto parts store it go to an Indy shop to get the codes read. May have to get a diagnostic check to make sure though.

Also use the forum search function and run a search for "ews". Hth

2000 BMW 740iL | 225,XXX miles | VW MAF | Bavarian Auto Coils | Timing Chain and Guides DIY Complete | M60 Manifold | BDC Polished Throttle Body| Custom Tuned | Performance Gearing 3.46 LSD| Magnaflow mufflers |
    |1997 ///M3/2/5 | 104,XXX miles | Boston Green Metallic|2006 X3 3.0 SAV|121,XXX miles| Silver|

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    There is no "driveway" reprogramming of the EWS feature of the key...nor does it require the battery inside the key. Those programming instructions (and battery/batteries) are for the DWA/FZV features of the key (anti-theft alarm siren system & remote central lock/unlocking).

When you lost the remote functions...did you replace the battery/batteries then? If not, when you did replace them...make sure that you didn't lose the EWS transponder chip that is inside the key case. If you did...then that may be why your car isn't starting...the key won't start the car without the EWS transponder chip.

We also need to know if your car's build date is AFTER 1/95...if your car was built BEFORE Jan/95...then it doesn't have EWS..and all our suggestions about EWS will be moot. If you do have EWS...make sure that you didn't disconnect the Ring Antenna when you were working in the steering column...and again, make sure you didn't lose the EWS transponder chip.

The earliest 3 button remotes had 2 batteries...then somewhere between the 1996-1997 model year...the single 2016 battery remotes w/red LED came into use. If your key no longer actuates the central locking system remotely...then check that the battery/batteries aren't dead. If you have the earlier 2 battery set-up...you may need to reprogram your remotes to perform the DWA/FZV features if the battery is removed for longer than 30-60 seconds:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Qsilver,

Thanks for the reply, when the locking from the key quit a while back I did replace the batteries and there was no change, so I just used the key. And I did not mess with the ring antenna as far as I know. I have sent pictures of my steering and my key fob.
    The Vin Number is WBAGJ6323SDH29813

I hope I have answer all the questions so far.

Thanks for you help.

Sam
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    I forgot to add my factory radio died and I have an aftermarket now for about 3 or more years..... don't know if that makes a difference or not. And checking codes? I have a reader for the plug under the hood but that all.

Sam

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Do you have a meter that can check the car's battery voltage? At least we can then rule it out as being the culprit if it's around 12 volts. If you don't have a meter...is the cluster unlocked so that you can run OBC TEST #9?
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    I have almost 13 volts, and battery is not even 10 months old.... and the Cluster is unlocked so I can do the test, but you have to point me in the right direction on how too, searched the forum for OBC Test and got nothing back.
    Thanks!!!
    Sam

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    Quote Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
    I have almost 13 volts, and battery is not even 10 months old.... and the Cluster is unlocked so I can do the test, but you have to point me in the right direction on how too, searched the forum for OBC Test and got nothing back.
    Thanks!!!
    Sam
    Is that voltage with the engine running or off?

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by 740iSport303 View Post
    Is that voltage with the engine running or off?
    My car wont start so.... off. And no I did not turn the key on and then check the volts with a load. If I need to I will.

Sam

My Cars
    01 Dinan 740iS, 97 318ti
    My bad, forgot you can't get it to start. Voltage seems good. So I doubt that's the problem. It could be that since the keyway is broken (spinning) it isn't actually engaging the ignition switch. I know you said you were able to turn with a screwdriver, but the ignition switch is on the opposite side of the column. With that said, I'd say replace keyway and possibly the ignition switch too. Dealer can order you a keyway that is keyed to your car (around $195.00 if I remember correctly) and ignition switch is around $50.00. Installation isn't difficult. You being able to take off the clam shell on the column is 50% of the work involved.

Keyway is #6, Ignition Switch is #2 and Interlock Assembly (between keyway and ignition switch) is #1 on the diagram http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...03&hg=32&fg=30

As you can see, you have 3 points of failure and by your description the keyway is already broken.
    Last edited by 740iSport303; 07-05-2012 at 08:57 PM.

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Hey 740i Sport,

I have all that out and been use my screwdriver to start the car all ready. and it just quit. Now we are trying to figure out why? Look like it is going to in my electronics. Thanks for you input!

Sam

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

How to UNLOCK the Instrument Cluster aka OBC

Quote Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
    ...the Cluster is unlocked so I can do the test, but you have to point me in the right direction on how too, searched the forum for OBC Test and got nothing back.
    Thanks!!!
    Sam

Here's instructions on how to unlock the cluster...and what all the 21 TEST will do or show or reveal.

Click the link below to add it to your favorites or bookmarks if you want to be able to access this info anytime in the future...or if you happen to buy another BMW that has the low instrument cluster (like some 6 cylinder e39s have) for instructions on how to UNLOCK that type of instrument cluster:

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Hey Qsilver7
    What is the next step after knowing the voltage? It is sounding like something in the the anti thief stuff?
    Thanks
    Sam
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 07-07-2012 at 04:45 AM.

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Ok I have done the voltage test and I get between 12 12.1 on the read out. What is my next step. This sorta sounds like a game.

Thanks
    Sam

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Welcome to the forum. Battery is a little low. I would recommend disconnecting the cables and fully charge the battery. Disconnecting the cables, referred to as a battery nap here, will often fix strange glitches and reset electronics on this car. Either way, you want your battery fully charged.

I would also recommend getting a new key cylinder on the way as you will need a new one anyway. Have you tried starting the car in neutral? What gear does the cluster say it's in? Make sure the two wires from the EWS to the Ring Antenna are not pulled loose on either end. My money says the problem is in that area be it mechanical or a sync issue.

My Cars
    540i, 740il
    Thanks Mayor,
    After all this I am going to fix the key and if the car starts and I can get the doors to open with the remote also I think I will have gone to heaven... LOL.

Ok I have double cked the connections and they are good, also put the battery on charge.
    Next......LOL

Thanks everyone for the help with this.

Sam

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the help! I charged the battery and the car started, so it could have been disconnecting the battery or the charging or both, but the car started. So after all this, I was determined to get the remote to work... So after I put my reader son and REALLY looked at the guts of the key, I had the batteries in wrong but the picture above of the remote open is also wrong, + on one side up and - up on the other, standard set up! So fixed that, and then my remotes buttons are shot! So I dug them out and finally got a good connection to reprogram my key!!!!! So it works now, but looks like hell.

Now to buy the other parts I need and thanks for the learning experience everyone, it works and I am a happy guy.

Sam
    Last edited by samcrimm; 07-07-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Good to hear Sam. You will find this car is VERY picky about voltage.

Getting the cylinder out is a bit tricky. Believe there is a write up on e38.org on how to remove it when the time comes.