Thread: 2010 BMW 328i SULEV Issues

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i

Angry 2010 BMW 328i SULEV Issues

I brought this car in 2011 from a dealer. It is a N51 Engine. 6 months back it went through servicing. Recently i notice the following issues with my car.

1. When I make a Full Left U Turn, I hear a sound from the front left tire. The sound is something like air leak.

2. Can hear a rattle sound in the front when going over small bumps.

3. Car Speeds up by itself when leg is removed from the accelerator after going little distance. This feels more like a Jerk

4. Over a small bumps I can feel the full bump, is there any issue in the shocks ?

5. When i put my car in R from P mode, there is a sudden jerk towards back. When i change to D then there is a sudden jump to the front. Why is this happening ?

6. When i completed stop and put the car into P mode and release the brakes, the car jumps front.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    5 & 6 - make sure you're keeping your foot on the brake until the transmission completes its shift, that will keep the car from 'lurching'.

3 - The car probably isn't actually speeding up, likely what you're feeling is the trans going between gears when it is downshifting, and when it's between gears the engine braking is reduced, which means you're not slowing down as much and can feel like speeding up. (iow, the trans goes into a kind of 'neutral' for a split second when downshifting.)

1 - if you are holding the steering wheel on the 'lock' - don't. That will cause the power steering fluid to use the bypass valve and that can sound like the noise you describe.

the suspension noises will require someone to pinpoint where they're coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i
    Hey Thanks buddy for the info.

So is it 3,5,6 more to do with my driving rather then issue with Car ?

For the 3rd, is the issue with the Car or this happens in general. I drove other BMW cars and i dont find this issue in those.

Can anyone please let me know about 2 and 4.

Thanks for your help.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    2&4 ... "rattle in the front" is pretty vague. Which side? Both? a single noise? Repeated? More or less when turning? More noticeable over single-wheel bumps than say, expansion joints? More or less noticeable when braking? My first guess would be swaybar links, but with that new of a vehicle, you might be getting the beginning of a contro-arm ball joint failure, or thrust arm bushing failure. There's a few possibilities. And being able to 'feel' the bump is either "part of the BMW experience", or it could be a failed part, it depends on how it 'feels'.

I think that 5&6 are more how you're handling the vehicle (holding, or not holding the brake pedal), and #3 is a pretty common complaint for E90s.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    I am assuming you still have run flats on it? Those make the ride over anything a lot harsher. I can feel everything in my car so I usually go over high spots slowly (speed bumps mainly) and try to avoid rough parts of the road.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    2010 BMW 328i
    I dont understand for @1 why such noise doesnt occur in other 328I i drove, 2009,2010,2011. These are not SULEV

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by rockingiit View Post
    I dont understand for @1 why such noise doesnt occur in other 328I i drove, 2009,2010,2011. These are not SULEV
    It is not an SULEV issue, probably just your car. SULEV is just some engine tuning and some different emissions related components. Nothing else in the car is different, nothing that would make such noises I suspect.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)