Thread: Identify this part?

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39

Identify this part?

The below part is pretty much just lying loose in the engine bay. Kind of flopping around on the passenger wheel well. It is plugged in, but it would seem to me that it attaches to something? Maybe vacuum lines?

I thought it could be the electric valve but it doesn't seem so.

I tried running the numbers on the part through google, and realoem and no luck.

Any idea what part it is, and what does it do?

1998 Garageworks' E39 Widebody - needs a lot of work, but I'm bringing it back.

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Blinker fluid filter.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah View Post
    Blinker fluid filter.
    Huh?

Never heard of something like that (nor has google). Can you reference realoem with a part # - or is it just sarcastic?

My Cars
    E39's, E53, E60.........
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah
    Blinker fluid filter.
    Lolz,

Thats your hood position switch, it's mounted on the driver side cabin filter. Pretty useless part. Mine is unplugged most of the time due to a broken clip.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianE39 View Post
    Lolz,

Thats your hood position switch, it's mounted on the driver side cabin filter. Pretty useless part. Mine is unplugged most of the time due to a broken clip.
    My hood position switch is there, attached to the wall of the driver's side air filter.

This is over on the passenger side.

Here's another reference shot:

Last edited by AllThatJass; 06-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Thats the altitude pressure sensor. I saw it too on an E39 in the junkyard, then went on RealOEM to find out what it is. Havent really searched for what it does, but apparently its for the EFI system, probably helps the DME correct fueling for the altitude the car is in.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleShooTiger View Post
    Thats the altitude pressure sensor. I saw it too on an E39 in the junkyard, then went on RealOEM to find out what it is. Havent really searched for what it does, but apparently its for the EFI system, probably helps the DME correct fueling for the altitude the car is in.
    Thanks for the info. I referenced part # 13621709225 for the altitude pressure sensor.

Looks good to me. I guess the other part is all attached to the electrical plug.

Any idea of how crucial the hose and gasket are?

Thanks for sorting this for me.

My Cars
    e39, e53, 957
    Quote Originally Posted by AllThatJass View Post
    Huh?

Never heard of something like that (nor has google). Can you reference realoem with a part # - or is it just sarcastic?
    Just a joke No sarcasm.

We mess with people at work like that... tell someone they need a new window differential, or a seat balljoint and look at their facial expression... My favorites are blinker fluid, muffler actuator and suspension oil change.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by gjVah View Post
    Just a joke No sarcasm.

We mess with people at work like that... tell someone they need a new window differential, or a seat balljoint and look at their facial expression... My favorites are blinker fluid, muffler actuator and suspension oil change.
    Cheeky aren't you? Well, I too like to comment things like that.