Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Audio BMW

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Question The Ultimate Audio BMW

I'm looking for examples of stereo installs in BMWs... I'm looking for someone who turned their BMW into the ultimate audio environment. Throwing 2 12s in the trunk doesn't quite cut it, I want to see someone who who hit all aspects of the audio system and still works like a BMW should.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Not to toot my own horn but this is probably one of the best sounding in car audio systems I have heard. Aesthetically it isn't 100% perfect yet, but sound wise, it is 95% of the way there. I am sure there are some installs that are more flashy. This setup uses all the stock speaker locations and doesn't intrude on anything severely. the trunk space was cut down by the sub and amps, but it still has enough trunk space for me. The car has a turbo setup I built, so it is very drivable and nothing from the stereo affects the cars performance or handling. I already have won 1st place in a MECA event and hopefully by the end of this year I will have a MECA State championship to back it up I think everyone who has heard it will vouch for it too.

Last edited by darrenforeal; 05-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    ^ I'd like to hear that

Gotta throw this one on the list too.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1141946

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by 12v Electronics View Post
    ^ I'd like to hear that

Gotta throw this one on the list too.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1141946

Well if you are ever in SoCal let me know! Also yes that one you guys did is proper and dead sexy

PS I need to get some OEM trunk carpeting from you. The stuff on my beauty board is slightly off.

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    honda

air conditioning repairs Sydney

When servicing automotive air-conditioning systems have several options to recharge a/c systems with refrigerant. One option is to top-off your car's system with refrigerant, and another is to evacuate and recharge the system. Both of these options will provide cool air in the passenger compartment for some period of time. air conditioning repairs Sydney

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    ^ do I really need to report that one as spam?

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    My audio system (and guide for E36 in my sig) is another great sounding system, also using Hybrid audio components, which in my car is the Clarus C51 set. Then I also have a Image Dynamics IDq12v.3 firing through the ski-pass into the cabin. Since it also using the stock HU, and the speakrs are isntalled in the stock locations, inside the cabin, nothing appears different. I also instaleld the sub without an enclosure, and the amp on a rack directly under the rear parcel shelf, so there is still lots of trunk space.

I also integrated by phone into the stock E36 HU (CD43) with bluetooth for calls, audio streaming, and several convenient "car" functions all which can be controlled from the stock HU still (no need to fumble around with the phone). When I drop my phone into the car charging cradle, it automatically reads text messages though the car speakers and enables GPS and provides large buttons for Music, Navigation, and a few other select items based on use within a car. It alos connects to the car via Bluetooth whenever the car is started, so the phone does not necessarily need to be removed from ones pocket.

It's maybe not the "ultimate", but it i exactly the way I want it.
    I can snap some pics if needed.
    Last edited by randomy; 05-21-2012 at 09:45 AM.

My Cars
    AudioSnob
    Kevlar ....if you are looking for the ultimate, then everything here (including anything I've ever done) is total amateur crap compared to Earl Zausmer's BMW. He put 15" subs in the front floorboard / kick panels. It is a total SQ system. IIRC he said the B&W speakers were >$10K

http://milbert.com/earl

>^..^<
    If money is the root of all evil ...why do churches beg for it?

there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / sale / sail / cell ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...its / it's ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...throw / throw ...vice / vise ...meat / meet / mete ...learn the difference

An armed man is a citizen ...an unarmed man is a subject.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by IamCatman View Post
    Kevlar ....if you are looking for the ultimate, then everything here (including anything I've ever done) is total amateur crap compared to Earl Zausmer's BMW. He put 15" subs in the front floorboard / kick panels. It is a total SQ system. IIRC he said the B&W speakers were >$10K

>^..^<

yeah that was impressive. Too ostentatious for me though. But I bet it sounded phenomenal. I wonder what happened to him and what he is up to. I know he isn't competing any more. Better to go out on top I guess.
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 05-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

>^..^<
    I think this surpasses ultimate and goes to extremes... it loses IMO the BMW character as now you have speakers intruding into the cabin space. I want to see someone who upgraded their car without making it insane and without disturbing the overall appearance of the car while maintaining a usable trunk. Think of it as someone who upgraded to equal something out of a new Audi S8 with that pricey system. Awesome sound, but only discrete appearnce.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    That is precisely what I went for. Nothing appears any different at all, even in the trunk you have to duck down to see the sub attached to the front wall, and the amp nestled underneath the parcel shelf. Unfortunately my door panels are out of state getting some fresh leather, so any pics I snap now are going to look like they are of a partially dismantled car

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi Kevlar,

With your initial post, I was thrown as you'd used the words 'ultimate' and were also looking for ones which have a respectable yet clean amount of 'eye candy' as well, and wasn't sure to post mine or not. Now that you've expanded a bit further, my install is more along the lines of what you've requested. However, I do have 'some' amount of protrusion into cabin space but for me, not overly so.

My setup was conceived and developed by myself so that only perhaps a maximum of 5-10% of oem looks would be lost. I wanted zero loss of trunk space and I achieved that aspect. I also made custom C Pillar pods to better create a rear fill solution - and all in an E39 Touring. These variants hardly ever have audio upgrades to this or higher levels and I wasn't happy with the oem stuff at all (never have been in any prior BMW's either!)

All of which was to be achieved at intermediate pricing levels so as to appeal to more of the OEM crowd and show them a substantial increase in sound quality needn't cost the thousands they stereotypically think.

I've kept the system deliberately simple, and my sound quality 'aim' was to perhaps achieve 60-70% of the sound quality, staging, imaging etc of a similar product quantity competitive and award winning install. In recent months, perhaps 4/5 enthusiasts I know on the professional car audio circuit have heard my setup and given me fantastic feedback and I'm very happy I've achieved what I set out to do. Some improvements and tweaks remain though!

Setup - Alpine double DIN mechless head unit, 3x Stinger interconnects, 300W RMS Arc Audio KS Mini mono amplifier, 4x75W RMS KS mini 4 ch amplifier. DLS R5A 5.25 2 way components front, DLS 4 inch co-axial for a little rear fill. JL Audio 8W3-V3 8 inch subwoofer.

Discreet front door builds which blend with the door card shape and part of my design was no more than 1 inch in depth. These also house Earthquake SWS6 slimline subs (not functional yet - 3 way passive crossovers on order) which when working will add a further lower bass response to bring the imaging of the bass further to the front of the car.

Rear C Pillar mods. These were custom made as I do prefer a little rear fill and the oem locations are dreadful in so much as they are in the roof lining and fire vertically downwards towards the trunk/boot floor. The pods ensure the sound is projected correctly.

Subwoofer. My stipulation was to have an enclosure and suitable bass response that had zero loss of trunk/boot space, full access to the rear light cluster. I wanted to keep my spare wheel so that location couldn't be used.

Pictures;

Head unit

Currently it's temporarily looking like this;

Lumidock

Door Builds

Amps

These were mounted utilising a recess space under floor trim piece and the perspex covers are yet to be installed to finish completely. Very efficient and thus only minimal heat produced even under full current draw when playing. This mounting location was the logical choice for keeping things discreet. I extensively tested with them mounted under a standard trim piece so totally invisible and perfect results there as well - never overheated.

Rear C Pillars

Was a little difficult to photograph them but will get better images later with a photographer I know. A little on the larger side as the speaker grille was incorporated, I'm considering making some slightly smaller ones. Performance wise, exactly what I wanted and provide that rear fill in a much better way.

Subwoofer.

I'm just waiting on the 3 way passive crossovers for the front subs to work. I applied a small perhaps 8x8 square of dynamat directly behind the door builds in case any flexing occured, otherwise I have no other sound deadening. Tweeters in oem corner window locations, angled slightly to give a better soundstage and makes well recorded material sound like it's emanating from the lower windscreen area. Relatively 'brighter' sounding as a result. I'm more than happy with the bass output by the 8 inch subwoofer and it constantly amazes those who hear it - they all think it's a 10 or 12 inch with one or two saying if it was a 15 inch !I had to compromise a little on the enclosure volume size in order to make it fit in the space available but to me, the difference isn't worth worrying about.

A few more pics

I hope this fits in with more of what you wanted, some more things are in the pipeline and I will be in touch with you soon about vendor status here

Any questions or feedback warmly recieved!

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 12-03-2012 at 09:48 AM.

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    That looks nice. Very good work.

My Cars
    97 e39 525tds
    Hi Dennis,

I joined this forum yesterday to get some more info on getting more spl into my e39 cabin, after reading around a bit ive gathered your the man to ask on here and other similar forums regarding upgrading sound in a e39.

As I'm new member I don't think I'm allowed to send out private messages, how could I get in contact with you for some advice?

Regards

P.s sorry to side track.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Randomy - thanks for the compliment, I know i've read you E36 audio writeup in the past, a little vague currently, but I will re-read soon!

B1AGN - Haven't been back up to Nottingham in a little while now, always a good time when I visit! I will drop you an email.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    1999 bmw m3
    that techno violet has a bad twin tehehehe
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10358...03014225446273
    cabin speakers are all stock mounted only subs give this bad boy away

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Quote Originally Posted by jamest007 View Post
    that techno violet has a bad twin tehehehe
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10358...03014225446273
    cabin speakers are all stock mounted only subs give this bad boy away

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8L Roa
    Here are a couple of threads showing my Hybrid install in the Z3. Fairly low profile install but sounds absolutely amazing.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=992432

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1209081

This setup has won two 1st place trophies. They were only local car club shows (not official events), but they were fields of about 40 car with custom audio.

>^..^<
    So basically the guy figured out how to get a pair of B&W 801s into a car. By the way, those 15s aren't subwoofers. They are a true woofer and are typically crossed at about 350hz, but they will play down to about 25hz. Of course, it's probably not the same without the diamond tweeter (his build pre dates the diamond series) but it still probably sounds phenomenal. I have a pair of 804 Diamonds in my office. They were a 45th birthday present to myself to replace a pair of CM7s.
    Last edited by OUSHark; 06-23-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1997 Z3 2.8L Montreal Blue/Beige Ext. Leather.
    Hybrid Legatia L6 - Arc Audio 4150 XXK,
    Hybrid Legatia L1 Pro - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Image Dynamics ID8 - Arc Audio KS300.4
    Eclipse CD7100

My Cars
    318IS,318Ti, 128I E82, E
    my BMW when it won IASCA Pro 600+ in 2005

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]custom Image Dynamics Neo Motor IDQ8s, completely one off item using an Illusion ND10 motor.
    Genesis Absolute 5s
    Image Dynamics CD Ultra horns[/COLOR]

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...kickedited.jpg

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]
    Same Car, revised and won MECA Finals Extreme Class in 2010
    System was ID CdUltra horns, Thiel 8s and a Custom Sb Acoustics Neo 10 in front passenger floorboard.
    4 IDQ10s in rear deck just for fun
    ID custom modified amps using Burr Brown OPA627 opamps, preamp section removed, independent gains etc...
    [/COLOR]

[COLOR="rgb(65, 105, 225)"]
    Other revisions
    [/COLOR]

Last edited by 10isPro; 06-23-2012 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    DIYMA Sound Quality Team. TEAM JL AUDIO/MSE
    2010 MECA SQL Extreme World Champion
    2010 Elite Summer Nationals Extreme and SQ2 champion
    2009 MECA SQL Extreme 2nd
    2006 IASCA Steel Valley Regional Champion
    2006 IASCA SQC2 SVR Champion
    2005 IASCA Wold Champion Pro Street 601+
    '03/'04 IASCA World Finals 2nd Pro Street 1-600
    '02 USAC Spring Break Nationals Champion
    2003 ISQC Team Japan Top 5 SQ

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    ^ dude sick stuff!

My Cars
    2014 Toyota Corolla S
    Great thread and subscribed. Glad to see others that are enthusiastic about great audio while still maintaining a stealth and OEM appearance.
    2006 Z4 Black/Black-Sold
    2002 Z3 Black/Beige-Sold
    2004 Imola Red/Black M3-Sold
    2005 Alpine White/Gray M3-Sold
    1999 Alpine White/Mulberry M3-Sold

My Cars
    2014 F10 530d, 2014 F20
    IDW15 and custom IDQ8. I need to go to the bathroom
    Mutual Admiration Society
    Founding member

My Cars
    2001 330xi, E92
    Quote Originally Posted by rogan View Post
    IDW15 and custom IDQ8. I need to go to the bathroom
    Pepto Bismol??

My Cars
    97 740i
    Mine is a build in progress....

8 3/4" Neo Tweeters (4 Per Pillar)
    8 McIntosh Neo 5-1/4's (4 Per Door)
    4 Diamond Audio TDX 10's (Neo) in a 4th Order Bandpass Wall
    Vintage SoundStream SQ Amps for the Mids and Highs
    Still on the hunt for a High End SQ Amp for the Subs.
    Parrot Asteroid Headunit (Runs Android and its a Dead-Head so it fits in my E38 Dash Amazing.)
    4 Optima Red-Tops (Will be going to some nice Group 31's eventually) and the needed 1/0 OFC Cable.

Unfinished 4th Order

Finished 4th Order (Friend is Bedlining it)

I'll get some good pics up once the Doors and Pillars are done.
    Last edited by TheLinkster; 07-04-2012 at 01:00 AM.

My Cars
    Garry123

air conditioning services sydney

Nice look of the car. There be red color car. I like the red color. What is the cost of this car? Can you provide it on EMI?Reply me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast