Thread: BMW SULEV Concerns

My Cars
    2011 328ix Sedan

BMW SULEV Concerns

I don't own a BMW as of yet, but am currently in the process of finalizing a deal with a dealership. I have found a perfect CPO 321xi sedan, but have some concerns regarding this car being a SULEV.

I found a 2011 328XI with 7600 miles, fully loaded (nav, Xeon, HK sound, Montana Leather). Other than a few curb scuffs on the rims, I could not find any issues, the vehicle appears to have never been in a collision or even a bumper repair. My one point of concern upon looking up the VIN on CarFax I found the vehicle is a SULEV. Review on the Internet I found that the vehicle has non-standard parts related to the fuel system more specifically the fuel pump and filter which are a single part. This configuration could require repair cost upwards of $7000 for something as simple as a failed fuel pump.

From what I understand, because of this SULEV configuration, BMW provides for 15Yr 150,000 warranties on fuel system components on some SULVE vehicles, but I can only find documentation detailing this warranty on 2004, but not the newer models. I have reached out to my sales person, but I don't think he has any idea what I am talking about. I sent an email to BMWNA and am waiting to hear back.

Are SULEV BMW's still subject to expensive repair cost on fuel system components? Does BMW still provide extended 15Yr 150,000 coverage on the SULEV components? Would the people of this forum feel comfortable purchasing a perfect condition 328xi SULEV? I am not concerned that the car might be subject to one or two horsepower decrease; I am just concerned that I could be subject to exorbitant repair cost when the CPO warranty expires. I don't plan on keeping it much past 120,000 miles, but having to pay $7000 for a simple repair on a car with high mileage scares me.

I have always dreamt about owning a BMW since I was small. I have suffered through owning my share of uninspired Accords and Civics (great cars, but not exciting to drive) knowing that some day I will buy a BMW. Today looks like that day and I found a low mileage 2011 for $36,000 ($46,500 factory sticker) and am ponying up 2/3 down payment, I am just scared to death that I am about to make a mistake and am hoping the people of this forum can help me shed some light on this situation. I have googl’ed and read many posts, but am finding old information or hyperbole.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    The radiator is also coated with a special spray that cleans the air as you cruise down the road. IT IS ALSO EXPENSIVE. IMO if you dont need a sulev vehicle where you live, skip it.

the 7k repair for fuel pump is due to you can't replace just the pump. you have to replace the complete gas tank.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2011 328ix Sedan
    Thank you for the input and assistance 02325.
    I spoke to BMWNA and found that they no longer offer the 150,000 protections on 2011 models since the all in one component design of the past is no longer present and the replacement of the fuel pump does not require a replacement of the fuel tank.
    As for price, the car is 11months old as per the sticker in the door jam with 7600 miles, the original sticker said $45,550 and I was able to procure it for $36,700 with CPO for 100,000-2017. As for the car, I put 150 miles on it since 3PM and am in love with it, sure a 335 would be faster, but the 328 sings in the correct gear.

Thank you again for the assistance 02325, the choice to buy the car was a difficult one.

PS, I am coming from a 2006 Accord, am I ruined forever? Will anything less ever satisfy me like the BMW?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Quote Originally Posted by colin8651
    Thank you for the input and assistance 02325.
    I spoke to BMWNA and found that they no longer offer the 150,000 protections on 2011 models since the all in one component design of the past is no longer present and the replacement of the fuel pump does not require a replacement of the fuel tank.
    As for price, the car is 11months old as per the sticker in the door jam with 7600 miles, the original sticker said $45,550 and I was able to procure it for $36,700 with CPO for 100,000-2017. As for the car, I put 150 miles on it since 3PM and am in love with it, sure a 335 would be faster, but the 328 sings in the correct gear.

Thank you again for the assistance 02325, the choice to buy the car was a difficult one.

PS, I am coming from a 2006 Accord, am I ruined forever? Will anything less ever satisfy me like the BMW?
    You are "ruined" forever! Oh, the joy!