Thread: IFH-0009 error

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56

IFH-0009 error

Hi,

I've tried searching the forums and the web and found nothing that has helped me. I have a USB - OBD cable which should work fine with a Mini Cooper R56.

I have installed all the software in a Windows XP 32-bit VM-Ware machine.

What I've done is install drivers (I've tried several): 1) I found here. 2) I found it on a large MINI-forum and 3) I found it on the manufacturers website. Same situation with all.

I've installed INPA, Ediabas and NCS Expert according to the instructions I've found on this forum, on the MINI forum and from the seller. All installations are similliar or the same though it has been both INPA 5.01 and 5.02 as well as both Ediabas 6.4.7 and 7.0.2.

I've changed port settings to latency 1 and using COM 1. I've checked the ediabas.ini and obd.ini and interface is set to OBD com 1.

I've added the environment variable and also the obd.ini to the windows directory (even though it seems redundant).

I am not a computer illiterate and feel comfortable that I have followed the instructions exactly.

What I'm trying to do now is figuring out if this is a hardware or software problem.

What I can do is start inpa and get 2 black dots, the ignition one becomes white when ignition is off so there seems to be some communication with the car.

Other than that everything throws IFH-0009 No response from controlunit. I've tried to read everything in INPA with the same error.

Thanks for any help!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Courtesy of Google translate
    IFH-0009: SG is not connected or not found

Reason 1: In the file as an interface is Ediabas.ini STD: ADD set, but you
    an OBD connector connected.
    Solution 1: Adjust the interface setting.

Reason 2: ignition is turned off.
    Solution 2: Turn on the ignition.

Reason 3: For COM1 is disabled on the Device Manager of the FIFO buffer.
    Solution 3: In the Device Manager (Windows XP: "Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "System" ->
    "Hardware") to select among the ports COM1 and select from the Reggisterkarte
    Connection settings "Advanced". It has the hooks in
    Be "Use FIFO buffers", and the input buffer, the maximum
    Setting must be selected.

Make sure that your interface is identified in Ediabas.ini as "Interface = STD:OBD" and that your interface is equipped to detect an ignition signal.
    If both of these settings are correct and you have already configured buffer settings, the problem could be due to an incorrectly configured COM port or defective USB to serial adapter.

When installing INPA, did you initially install v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3, then upgrade to v5.02/EDIABAS v6.4.7?

Also bear in mind that versions of EDIABAS later than v6.4.7 are not compatible with DIS.
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-07-2012 at 04:52 AM.

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    Hi,

Thanks!

I have though already found that exact text with 3 reasons and solutions. Other than my drivers for the com-port not having "FIFO-buffers" as an option but instead the newer ones with Latency (where I have selected 1) I've done everything in that list.

Do you know of any known working drivers for USB-to-serial converter?

Thanks again!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    When installing INPA, did you initially install v3.01/EDIABAS v6.4.3, then upgrade to v5.02/EDIABAS v6.4.7? Post a picture of your interface and I will try to help you further.
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-07-2012 at 04:55 AM.

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    No, I don't think I have ever installed v3.01 and certainly not on the last laptop I tried it on (I've tried it on windows vista before but then I couldn't get ignition recognition to work).

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    No ignition signal fits the criteria for an IFH-0009 error. Make sure that the LoadWIN32 = * statement in Ediabas.ini is set to "LoadWIN32 =1" so that the program is correctly mapped for your 32 bit OS. Do you know what type of chipset your interface is based on and is it designed to be used with a USB or true serial port?
    Last edited by David Mc; 05-07-2012 at 05:36 AM.

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    Hi,

I will check the ediabas.ini as soon as I get home tonight. But I don't know if that could be the problem as I have checked with a 64-bit installation on windows 7 as well and have the same error.

In win 7 and XP (32bit) I get both battery and ignition but IFH-0009 errors all over. In win Vista I got only battery and never got it working either.

The chip is an ft232r? I have checked that pin 7 and 8 are bridged. They are!
    Don't know if that is correct, but from what I understand, it is.

The cable is a USB -> obd2. There are no serial port on it.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1208941874...ht_4938wt_1163

Thanks again!

Really appreciate it!

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    Hi,

I have checked ediabas.ini and LoadWin32 was commented out.
    I haven't had the chance to test it again but I have changed from:
    ;LoadWin32 = 0
    to
    LoadWin32 = 1

Hopefully that will solve my issue.

Thank you!

Mike

My Cars
    94 BMW 325is, 87 Nissan 300zx, 98 MB slk230 +1
    I have issues with my INPA also with similar errors. I am able to see the airbag and that is all. I am operating XP PRO which I believe is 64bit. Can this be my issue? If you can I also change setting to operate as a 32bit system? I am using the carsoft interface as OBD. This is on a 94 325IS

Thanks for any help.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Using the Carsoft interface for DIS/INPA is trying at best.

But..when using it on ADS cars, (Pre-95 and ALL E36/Z cars) its shooting yourself in the foot.

You need an ADS interface set to ADS in the ini file.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    LS e39, LT e53,
    are pins 7 and 8 supposed to be bridged for a mini cooper... if im not mistaken, the mini cooper platform is like an e46.... I put a switch on pins 7 and 8 so I can do all chassis.... if pins 7 and 8 are bridged, i can read old old bmw with 20 pin adapter, e46, e53 and e83... if they are bridged, cant read any of those and I think I get that error, For sure I dont get Ignition signals.
    something to look into.

My Cars
    2006 E90 330i
    Depends on the Mini model you are trying to work with. Anything before the R56 requires pins 7-8 bridged. R56 and up only need pin 7.

There's a wiki article over at bmwcoding that has a definitive list of what cars need the pins bridged and which ones don't. (information direct from BMW)

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    Hi,

Well. I certainly have a r56 and I tested pin 7-8 bridge with ohm-meter (best (only) equipment I have at hand) and got the same resistance as when shorting the leads. I.e. it is bridged.

By the way, chaning it to loadwin32 = 1 did not help at all. I think it defaults to 1 if you have winXP installed (at least the ediabas.ini said so).

Then I have a question regarding the pin 7/8 bridge, non bridge thing. If it shouldn't be bridged, would I need it at all or could I just solder it out (if I get the hold of a soldering iron) or maybe insulate it.

Also a link to that list would be appreciated. Meanwhile I will be searching the bmwcoding forum for that site.

Thanks,
    Mike

My Cars
    2008 Mini Cooper D R56
    Hi,

The seller didn't want me to modify the cable unsoldering pin 7-8. I returned the cable and got a full refund minus the return shipping.

I ordered a new cable from ECUtools which also have pin 7-8 connected. Finally tested it last night and it works!!
    Same installation, same drivers, same everything as the first cable and it just worked.

Got error message SGDB version doesn't match, but I could re-initialize my windows so that my passenger side window now dips when I open the door!

Thanks for all the help!

Mike

My Cars
    2002 BMW 325ci
    OK, I have the OBD cable with pins 7/8 jumped. It works fine on my E46 but on my R56 Mini I get the IFH-0009 error. I can see the battery and ignition but that's it.
    Do I need to un-jump pins 7 and 8 to get it to work on the MINI?
    Thanks!

My Cars
    1991 E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by roosm View Post
    Hi,

The seller didn't want me to modify the cable unsoldering pin 7-8. I returned the cable and got a full refund minus the return shipping.

I ordered a new cable from ECUtools which also have pin 7-8 connected. Finally tested it last night and it works!!
    Same installation, same drivers, same everything as the first cable and it just worked.

Got error message SGDB version doesn't match, but I could re-initialize my windows so that my passenger side window now dips when I open the door!

Thanks for all the help!

Mike
    I have the same problem with my E46 BMW, after reading your post i suspect its the cable,,i open it up, resoldered pin 7-8 (the are already soldred, but i think it was not enough contact) ....
    Woalaaaa... problem solved...