Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: BenFenner's 2000 Black M-Coupe

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Thanks for the tip Robb.

Here's hoping that I've got these troubles behind me. There seems to be something about this car that invites trouble for me. Getting run off the road seems to be a semi-regular thing. Seems to be the motorcycle factor? I actively avoid blind spots, but so many drivers just don't seem to see such a small car so low to the ground.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    Thanks for the tip Robb.

Here's hoping that I've got these troubles behind me. There seems to be something about this car that invites trouble for me. Getting run off the road seems to be a semi-regular thing. Seems to be the motorcycle factor? I actively avoid blind spots, but so many drivers just don't seem to see such a small car so low to the ground.
    Amen to that! There's one 5 mile stretch of road that I travel regularly where all of the folks trying to travel fast are switching lanes, and I've had 3 near-misses with idiots that didn't see me. Two were at night, so they should have seen the headlights!

Marty

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BenFenner View Post
    but so many drivers just don't seem to see such a small car so low to the ground.
    As the harley and chopper guys say!

"Loud Pipes Save Lives"

Need moar exhaust!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I'll just hard-wire the horn to an injector.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Front brake job with euro rotors

Facebook album permalink.

It's been so long since I did this work I forget why I was doing it. I think I was running low on front pad depth and wanted fresh pads before hitting the track again. The pads came a while back. In that post I also talk about sourcing the semi-floating euro rotors with the aluminum hats. The pad choice was made to limit dust. I know they probably will suffer on the track but I'll see what I can get away with.
    Oh yah, I also wanted to make sure the calipers were filled so I could do measurements for new wheel brake clearance.

$99.87 | www.gspec.com | Hawk HB135Z.770 Performance Ceramic Front Brake Pads for 95-99 BMW M3 E36
    $364.16 | www.ecstuning.com | 34112227737 front left, 34112227738 front right - OEM Euro E36 M3 2-piece floating brake rotor
    $13.97 | www.ecstuning.com | 34352227385 front brake pad sensor
    $17.99 | Shipping

Really, it's picture time. There are a ton more in the album if you want to click the permalink. I tried to post only the most interesting.

I though this was a good shot of the brake ducts.

This thing crumbled to pieces in my hands. =/

It took an exceptionally long time to figure out how to get the dust boot re-seated properly but I figured it out eventually.

You'd think Hawk would do a little better job keeping paint where it belongs.

Fixed.

*continued on next post*
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-17-2014 at 07:27 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    *continued from previous post*

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Ben, Your opinion of the HTR ZII's after a few months on them?

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I'm almost a year behind on updates right now, so bear with me while I explain the tire timeline. The Sumitomo HTR ZII tires went on the rear as you saw. They were a slight improvement in dry grip versus the Kumho Ecsta SPT they were replacing, so before I hit the race track again I wanted to replace the fronts as well, which I did (that update coming soon).
    I put 8 months on the tires including 3 track days and they were almost gone on the insides. I flipped them and did another track day on them. All while daily driving of course. I even have time in the snow on them to report.

The tires really can't be faulted [for the price]. Their dry grip is what I will call decent overall, if maybe a bit disappointing for what is billed as an "extreme performance summer" tire or whatever. Obviously it's not up to the level of a Ventus RS-3, BFG Rival, Azenis RT-615, Direzza ZII, Ecsta XS, etc. but for a regular tire it holds its own in the dry. It lacks a bit in the wet, but that is to be expected. It is still safe if you know what you're in for, but obviously there are better options out there if you expect to perform in the rain. The cold performance is fine, and hilariously enough in the snow they had too much forward traction which made hooning around in the snow a short expedition. I would have stayed out longer, but sliding around got things up to speed much faster than I'd have predicted. Also traction during braking in the snow seemed not to match. =/

On the track the tires were decent performers as well. I mean for the price you'd expect them to overheat, melt and chuck away, and leave you with nothing left to drive home on. However, they survived 4 track days and 10 months of daily driving (approx. 8k miles) before I retired the rears. The fronts still had 50% life left. They give way progressively in my configuration and my only major complaint about them on the track was how badly they squealed. I am not used to performance tires making any noise whatsoever and these things sounded amateur going around sweepers like I had all-seasons on. =(
    Well, that and they did eventually get "greasy" toward the end of each track day as the day got warmer and I pushed harder. That's a bit of a bummer.

For the price, really these things can't be beat. You have to shell out near double their sticker before you approach anything that competes. They aren't amazing, but to even find a tire sub-$100 in these sizes that aren't dangerously unsafe is a small miracle if you ask me.

Oh, and my 8k mile experience on these tires is with the traction control off. Snow, ice, rain, track, whatever. No traction control. Not my style.

How did I do?
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-18-2014 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    My first experience with them was on a 1998 AMG kitted SL-500 when they were Sumitomo's TOTL tire. Great match for that car. About 11-12 months ago they were installed on my R32, & then it sat in the garage for 9 months until I recently took care of the issue with the OAD decoupler pulley on the alternator. They are quiet as I remember on the Benz, fairly comfortable, with a softer sidewall, but not a harder core tire like the ContiSportContact 3's they replaced. As far as being an extreme performance summer tire, they start out being called that when they are new, & then get bumped down a category when the replacement comes out. IIRC, the original HTR Z is now called a high performance summer tire, having been bumped down from Max, to Ultra, to High Performance as it got older & newer versions came out.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Measuring brake clearances for new wheels

In the previous update I mentioned filling the front calipers partially to do measurements. Well, here we go.

I did not end up using the wooden calipers.

For completeness I also did the rears.

I pride myself on my attention to detail and measuring skills. You can take these numbers to the bank. Ignore the wheel sizing and offset specs. Those are specific to me and my situation. However, they are within 2mm of Greg's suggested offsets for most-centered fitment (not to be confused with most outward fitment). His recommendations are +38mm up front and +18mm out back.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by BenFenner; 04-25-2014 at 09:42 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    A/C recharge and assessment

The A/C in the car is struggling. I thought the refrigerant might be low or some other such whatsamaproblem. I took it to my buddy's shop to put a vacuum to it, fill it if it needed filling, and he put some UV dye in it to detect leaks later on. With the vacuum on for about an hour and the system filled (it was basically full to begin with) we ruled out water in the system, low refrigerant/leaks as the problem. The low pressure side was a bit high, and the high pressure side is a bit low, and the compressor is making some angry noises. So, we're 99% sure it's the compressor on the way out.

Time for a new compressor, a new drier, and some seals. Look for that in the future. In the mean time I'm not going to be using the A/C any more, to avoid sending compressor chunks through the system.

My Cars
    00 Mshoe
    Nice to have a buddy that can do that for you! I had mine last year struggling and just threw in some R134 since it would cool when not SUPER hot, but just couldnt keep up on the sweltering days and it worked for me luckily. I think it had just leaked out from un-use since I had it on yesterday 80+ degree day and it was still ice cold from filling last summer.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Some ice cold A/C would be very nice this summer. I've still been driving the coupe, but I've been avoiding working the compressor so it doesn't explode on me, requiring the whole system to be replaced or at least cleaned out.

The system needs work before June 19, as I'll be road tripping to Ohio for another track day with Katie and she goes through enough for me without having to sweat it out on a long trip in the summer.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Installing Doug Whalen's aluminum hood release handle

Go back to the table of contents in the first post and find update #21 and you'll see the post where I bought this thing.
    It's time to install it now.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    More updates to post, need a new page. Too many pics on this page.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Nice job.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Thanks Dave.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    We're gunna need a bigger page.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    I'll help. More updates please!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumanchu282 View Post
    I'll help. More updates please!
    Thanks man. I have a quick, small update to make. Then a pretty substantial one after that. And after that, there are still almost a years worth to catch up on.

I've made it a goal to catch up on updates before mid June.

We're almost there.

My Cars
    99 mc
    to a new page with you!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Install new front tires

In update #23 I mentioned I picked up some new front tires to match the rears. The old fronts still had 50% life left, but I'm headed to Atlanta Motorsports Park very soon and wanted similar grip all around.
    It was $41.30 to have them mounted and balanced.

Last edited by BenFenner; 06-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    More please!

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Coming right up!

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast