Thread: Slight squealing when idle, more squealing in gear

My Cars
    2009 E82 125i M Sport

Slight squealing when idle, more squealing in gear

Have a problem that showed up out of nowhere.

On cold start there is no noise for at least a few minutes. When the engine heats up slightly I'll begin to hear a very faint squealing sound.

It's not the tensioner pulley squeal either as I had this issue about 1 year ago and sorted that out.

When i put the car into gear (even reverse) the squealing sound gets a whole lot louder. If i switch back to neutral it quietens down a bit, but it's still there.

I did a full oil flush over the weekend, replaced the oil filter and even replaced the air filter as i've heard of debris sometimes causing odd sounds, but the sound is still there.

The noise sounds like it's coming (excuse my lack of proper wording), from the top of the engine, a few inches to the right of the oil cap (near the MAF).

If i accelerate to about 1000RPM (from idle of 600RPM), the squealing sound completely disappears, but once I ease off the pedal the sound slowly comes back again. Can the ICV make noises?

Where should I start trouble shooting?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Bacender; 04-15-2012 at 06:56 PM.

My Cars
    1996 328i
    This could sound dumb, but did you spill any oil on the belts during the flush?

My Cars
    2009 E82 125i M Sport
    Fixed the issue, idler pulley.