Thread: Ireland Engineering subframe bushing help needed

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5

Ireland Engineering subframe bushing help needed

I didn't get any instructions with the new bushings and don't know if there were supposed to be any but where does that large washer go? Top, bottom, or just used to compress the two together. Halfway done and there is no way I want to pull all this apart because I screwed it up. Also, anyone have a link showing all the torque specs as you put it all together. All three links I am following only show how to get the bushings out, nothing on how to get it back together except "follow directions in reverse."

Thanks!!
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    Washer is not required, but if you want to use it, it goes on the bottom.

the top half of the bushing has a recess in it to match the stud. The bottom half is flat.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Thanks. I did find a post from 2006 that suggested that it went on the bottom. I was pretty sure that it didn't go on the top, and when looking at the different contours of the bottom from stock to IE, I figured that's where it went. Almost done, only the exhaust to finish now! But first, lunch with the wee ones.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    How did the OE bushing removal go? Did you have the tool? We haven't had a good bushing removal story in a while....
    Kelvin

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    I'll update my day in a few in my build thread.

FIRST

NEED

HOT

TUB!!

Edit: Updated thread including this project here. Page 6.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...5#post24092115
    Last edited by Wertles; 04-07-2012 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe
    The flat washer must go at the bottom to support the outside diameter of the bushing. Without it the downward forces of the subframe will tear off the outer lip of the bushings.
    Ask me how I know...
    http://pbckt.com/ph.Ui8x6o
    http://pbckt.com/ph.UiwUs4

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    How did the OE bushing removal go? Did you have the tool? We haven't had a good bushing removal story in a while....
    After a month with the new M Coupe, and getting excellent advice from here (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1802519), I completed the first job: new AKG subframe bushings. I followed the writeup provided by fmcfad01 (http://www94.homepage.villanova.edu/...iebushings.doc) and used the homemade pipe bushing removal tool by Itsablurr (http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1278591).

Overall, for someone who hasn't done any major work on a car in 20 years, it took be about 6 hours. While I work pretty slowly and I'm pretty sore (age related, I'm sure), it wasn't too bad of a job. The two big slow spots I ran into were dropping the subframe off the mounting bolts and rehanging the exhaust. For as much as I fiddled with the support height of the control arms and the lift on the differential, I couldn't get the subframe to drop horizontal to the floor. Once I got the subframe down to the threaded part of the mounting bolts, it would start to fall at an angle and bind on the bolts. After an hour or two of prying, banging with a mallet, and adjusting support heights, I ended up lossening the driveshaft nuts, putting the car in neutral, and releasing the parking break. I'm not sure which (or all) of that did the trick, but afterwards, I was able to get the subframe to drop the rest of the way off pretty quickly.

Using a heat gun and the pipe tool, the bushings were out in 10 minutes. Installing the new ones was easy. I just made sure they were well greased, put the top half in, raised the subframe, inserted the metal rod and bottom half, and reattached the mounting bracket. Rehanging the exhaust did require getting my father-in-law to do the wrenching while I held up the exhaust up and pushed the rubber mounting bracket in place.

If anyone wants to borrow the pipe tool, just PM me (also, I live in Tucson if there are any members here and want to pick it up). I can't imaging needing to use it again for a long while.

Next two items on the list are a cooling system overhaul and suspension. Not sure which one will be next or the setup route I will go. The car just ticked over 54k miles and both are currently original (and both are needed). Suggestions?

Install pics:

Everything is detached

Pipe tool in action

Bushings are out:

New bushings are in place:

All back together