Bavarian Soundwerks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help choosing a headunit (possibly for active crossover)

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarMachine View Post
    I'm going to mount the speakers in the kick panel with the tweeters in the stock location (if they fit).

I think I'll go with the imagine and run them with the included crossovers for now, since I just want to get this up and running and have some decent sound already!

I have a boston acoustics GTA1005 amp, and the sub is an IDQ15 that I'm going to run IB. I really don't know much about the IB stuff, other than that this sub is supposed to do well in that sort of environment and that I need to make sure my trunk is well sealed up.

Any input you have would be much appreciated, and I'm not opposed to doing things differently than I have in mind currently.

that sub should do well IB. If you can I'd try to run active 2 way if you can, especially if you get the 80prs. The TA and eq adjustability will serve you well, especially with the mounting options you have.

All that said, you need to play around with mounting positions. I would put the woofer in the kicks, and actually try to run the tweeters with them in the coax position. Then try with the tweeter in the sails, and you also may want to try them with the tweeters in the dash speaker locations. There you could try aiming the tweeters at the windshield and then more pointing towards you.

You may also want to do some exploring on diyma.com to see some ideas and other opinions and suggestions. If you can I'd try to go hear the speakers first as well. Same for the HU, but I know this isn't always possible. But everyone's taste is slightly different. Also, I highly recommend emailing Scott or someone at HAT. Tell him Darren of Team Hybrids referred you and have been giving you some suggestions. We'll get it sounding good!
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 05-05-2012 at 10:13 AM.

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    frontier.

Thumbs down

The alpine sounds much better than the pioneer..
    I just don't like the dacs they use they sound dull as hell..
    What's your budget?
    I like the hat comps but honestly the cdt es comps are half the price and sound as good installed properly..
    The es 06 with the shorting ring sound great up to 2500 and the drt 26 is a steal at 180 or so.. I really love the helix tweeters though and the rainbow
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p-3592-s-8...-tweeters.aspx
    http://www.woofersetc.com/p-8168-cal...-tweeters.aspx

The drts are sweet for 180 the helix and rainbow edge the drt in low end extension though..

The hertz mids kick ass too but you can get the es06s for about 280 and the drt for 180 for under 500 you won't find a better set ..
    As far as hu if you really willing to go active I highly suggest the x996 and audio control Xover/eq

http://www.woofersetc.com/p-2874-dqx...crossover.aspx

I'm going to mount the speakers in the kick panel with the tweeters in the stock location (if they fit).

I think I'll go with the imagine and run them with the included crossovers for now, since I just want to get this up and running and have some decent sound already!

I have a boston acoustics GTA1005 amp, and the sub is an IDQ15 that I'm going to run IB. I really don't know much about the IB stuff, other than that this sub is supposed to do well in that sort of environment and that I need to make sure my trunk is well sealed up.

Any input you have would be much appreciated, and I'm not opposed to doing things differently than I have in mind currently.
    The theory behind ib is lowering group delay..
    Honestly the benifits don't outweigh the drawbacks..
    I'd just do 2.25 sealed use birch oak or maple instead of mdf..
    Last edited by bassfreak85; 05-05-2012 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    ^can't really agree with most you said. but your opinion is your opinion

have you heard the pioneer 80prs or the p99 for that matter? And inherently HU should not have any sound to them, but be neutral. I have heard more than my fair share HUs, and for the mass market type of HU, yes alpine are toward the top. But so is pioneer and older eclipse stuff for sq. And honestly the features for R/L EQ, the TA and the price beat any Alpine on the market right now. And if he wanted a full on processor there are much better options than what you posted at that price point. The new Zapco, the Bit ten, and the arc ps8. When the ps8 comes out regardless of price, it will probably be one of the better processors on the market.

Regarding CDTs, I have owned a few sets and I wasn't too impressed. Rainbows are nice too, but I don't really like their lower line stuff. And Hertz has gone down hill in the last 3 years in most peoples opinion. The mille's are nice, but don't compare with the previous version of milles. All those brands are decent enough but don't compare with HAT, Dyn or Morel. They just don't. That said, when it comes down to it, install and tuning will be the most critical. But all things equal the stuff you mentioned doesn't sound as nice IMO.
    Last edited by darrenforeal; 05-05-2012 at 10:14 AM.

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    06 M3, 15 Golf R
    Should mention that J&R has it for $300 shipped right now. Good deal

My Cars
    95 540i/6, Subaru RSTi
    Darren, I'll send Scott an email. What the hell, I'll give the active setup a shot. It can't be that hard to get it sounding good. I really appreciate you volunteering so much help, gives me some confidence that I'll be able to tune this system well.

Bassfreak, thanks for the recommendations, but you're talking way out of my budget. Also, I've heard CDTs and they were fine, but I sold a whole bunch of brand new CDT stuff without even opening it recently, because I know I can get better speakers for the price.

I'm going to go with the PRS80 and most likely HATs (or Focals if I can find them in a similar price range). I have Focal Polyglass components in my other car, and I really like the way they sound. I'll try to hear the HATs before I purchase, not sure how they'll stack up against a $700+ set of components, but I do realize I'm spending a lot less on them.

Jsalicru, thanks for the tip. I'm going to hold off a little longer. Fry's had it for $250, so I'm going to try to get that price. J&R has been offering it around that $300 price point off and on for a while now.

Also, I have an Audiocontrol EQL. Is that worth throwing into the setup, or will the PRS80 be able to do equalization and tuning just as well?
    Last edited by GnarMachine; 05-06-2012 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    Darren, I'll send Scott an email. What the hell, I'll give the active setup a shot. It can't be that hard to get it sounding good. I really appreciate you volunteering so much help, gives me some confidence that I'll be able to tune this system well.

Bassfreak, thanks for the recommendations, but you're talking way out of my budget. Also, I've heard CDTs and they were fine, but I sold a whole bunch of brand new CDT stuff without even opening it recently, because I know I can get better speakers for the price.

I'm going to go with the PRS80 and most likely HATs (or Focals if I can find them in a similar price range). I have Focal Polyglass components in my other car, and I really like the way they sound. I'll try to hear the HATs before I purchase, not sure how they'll stack up against a $700+ set of components, but I do realize I'm spending a lot less on them.

Jsalicru, thanks for the tip. I'm going to hold off a little longer. Fry's had it for $250, so I'm going to try to get that price. J&R has been offering it around that $300 price point off and on for a while now.

Also, I have an Audiocontrol EQL. Is that worth throwing into the setup, or will the PRS80 be able to do equalization and tuning just as well?
    no problem on the help. And with the 80prs running active will be pretty easy to get sounding good. And you don't need the Audiocontrol with the 80prs. The lesser amount of stuff in the daisy chain the better imo. You can also add it later if you aren't satisfied with the pioneers 16 band eq

My Cars
    06 M3, 15 Golf R
    I must say the auto-eq function of this unit is pretty darn good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    95 540i/6, Subaru RSTi
    Well my plan was to go with HATs but a set of BAs showed up in the classifieds and I snagged them. I should have some Boston Acoustics PRO50SEs sometime soon. Hopefully they sound pretty good, should be able to start installing in a week or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12