Thread: On the fence: 128 vs. 135 CPO Convertible

My Cars
    2009 Mini Cooper S Cab

Question On the fence: 128 vs. 135 CPO Convertible

Hope you can help with my decision. I will soon be unloading my 2009 Mini Cooper S Cab. It is approaching the end of it's warranty and has had too many engine problems to list. I love the idea of a small, powerful, four seat cabriolet and am looking for something reliable. I was very excited by the idea of a pre-owned 1-series but have honestly been quite shaken by all of the (recurrent) fuel pump problems on the 135. This may explain the excess of 2008 135's on the market and the small price differential between the two engine choices.
    My main question is whether the latest generation replacement HPFP has addressed the recurrent failure issue. Does anyone have experience with a late model, i.e. 6/2011 or onward, replacement pump failing?
    Is there any evidence that the fuel pump failure can cause excess engine stress and or failure?
    Sorry this is wordy, thanks for any help,
    Michael

My Cars
    2017 330i Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by docdish View Post
    Hope you can help with my decision. I will soon be unloading my 2009 Mini Cooper S Cab. It is approaching the end of it's warranty and has had too many engine problems to list. I love the idea of a small, powerful, four seat cabriolet and am looking for something reliable. I was very excited by the idea of a pre-owned 1-series but have honestly been quite shaken by all of the (recurrent) fuel pump problems on the 135. This may explain the excess of 2008 135's on the market and the small price differential between the two engine choices.
    My main question is whether the latest generation replacement HPFP has addressed the recurrent failure issue. Does anyone have experience with a late model, i.e. 6/2011 or onward, replacement pump failing?
    Is there any evidence that the fuel pump failure can cause excess engine stress and or failure?
    Sorry this is wordy, thanks for any help,
    Michael
    Im about to buy one soon. Im not worried about the hpfp issues since its covered for along time now. The car im looking at had that work done under recall already.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    It's better on later models (2010 or 2011 onwards) but supposedly still sporadically failing. It has been speculated that it may cause the injectors to fail too, but I believe they are covered by the same extended warranty as the HPFP (10yr/120k miles). Haven't heard anything about it causing any other issues.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2009 128i
    As I understand it, the motors on these cars have the same displacement -- just under 3 litres. It's just that the 135i is turbocharged and the 128i is not. I suspect there are some differences in the internals, but IDK. FWIW, I love my 128i. It has plenty of zip for me. [Sorry, I have no additional info about the HPFP on the 135s.]

I have a 123d just had it remapped and it is a rocket when u look at prices I wud deffo look at the 123d this car is really good and really fast also and iv had no problems at all with mine.

My Cars
    E85 Z4M, E82 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerNell View Post
    As I understand it, the motors on these cars have the same displacement -- just under 3 litres. It's just that the 135i is turbocharged and the 128i is not. I suspect there are some differences in the internals, but IDK. FWIW, I love my 128i. It has plenty of zip for me. [Sorry, I have no additional info about the HPFP on the 135s.]
    They are completely different engines with very few shared components, the closest similarity between them is the capacity, number of cylinders and number of valves.

Valvetronic, turbocharging, aluminium vs compound aluminium/magnesium block, direct injection vs port injection, are just a few of the major differences.

My Cars
    2011 135i
    Grab the 135i. You will be kicking yourself later if you don't.

My Cars
    318I,CTSV,328IS,M3,135i
    This is my first post in this section. I have a collection of E36. My wife wanted a new car so I am buying a 2009 135i coupe. Started looking at 128i and figured if I didn't get the 135i, I'd regret it later. Now I hope my wife doesn't start collecting speeding tickets! It is an automatic, had to let her have that. I briefly had a 99 M3 convertible. Very nice car but all I could think of was top maintenance. Also no trunk and noisy. No more convertibles for me. I did seem to see many 1 series convertibles all over.
    Next Wednesday we fly to Virginia to pick it up and drive it home (2600+ miles). I've done this sort of thing before so it is a fun road trip.