Thread: Calling all the experts

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525

Calling all the experts

Hi everybody,

I have a broken pin ball that stuck in to the supporting bracket and causing my damper for foot brake not working.

I bought a new pin ball but half on the old one still there. So is there anyway to remove the remaining from that hole or I have to remove the whole bracket?

Is there any thread for this job?

Below in the pic of the broken pin ball

and this the bracket that connect to the ball, it is the number 1 in the picture below

Last edited by Farshad75; 03-16-2012 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    Home Depot sells extraction tools. You have to drill a small hole in the bolt that is stock, then use extraction tool that screws in to the hole that you just drilled in the brocken bolt.

If you dont know how to extract a brocken bolt or have never done it, then take part #1to a local machine shop and have them remove it.

Or search google for exctracting a brocken bolt.
    Last edited by KGB7; 03-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Thank you, it is located in a very squeezed area behind the trigger and brake pedal,it will take a good 3 hours to remove that bracket and take it to the shop and I can't fit the drill in that area, maybe the shops have a special small drill ,sometime I wonder why BMW made it so hard to deal with E38, by the way I am not in states errrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    Home Depot sells extraction tools. You have to drill a small hole in the bolt that is stock, then use extraction tool that screws in to the hole that you just drilled in the broken bolt.

If you dont know how to extract a brocken bolt or have never done it, then take part #1to a local machine shop and have them remove it.

Or search google for exctracting a brocken bolt.

My Cars
    Well.

There is another way you can try. Get a small hook set tool and try to turn the bolt out with the tool.

Imagine you are trying to get out a piece of food stuck in your teeth with a tooth pick.

Example.

http://www.google.com/m/products/cat...d=0CJcBEPMCMAA
    Last edited by KGB7; 03-16-2012 at 02:04 AM.

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    [QUOTE=KGB7;23938902]Well.

There is another way you can try. Get a small hook set tool and try to turn the bolt out with the tool.
    +1 what he said. I've had success using a scratch awl with a sharp point. Place it against the broken fastener and continuously turn counterclockwise. Good luck

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Thank you guys, do you know by any chance what is the job of that damper? Does it have to be there?

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Yes you need it. It assist in (and softening) disengaging the parking brake and in deactivating the "parking brake light". just my .02

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    great, I have to find some tools tomorrow to remove that broken bolt, it is 12:12 AM here

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Try to get in a comfortable position and take your time, don't let it whip you. While you under there how's your micro filter it may be a good time to change it. Just my .02

My Cars
    750iL; 330Ci cab; 5GT
    If the hole is threaded right through, try screwing in another bolt of same thread, that may just wind the stump straight out...

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Thanks, I thought micro filters are in the bonnet !

Quote Originally Posted by motion View Post
    Try to get in a comfortable position and take your time, don't let it whip you. While you under there how's your micro filter it may be a good time to change it. Just my .02
    Thanks, only problem is that there is not enough room to hold a driller in there,I'lll give it a go today
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisn7 View Post
    If the hole is threaded right through, try screwing in another bolt of same thread, that may just wind the stump straight out...
    Last edited by Farshad75; 03-16-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Hi guys, just an update if anybody interested,

spent a good couple of hours on this stupid issue, bought a new tool for this purpose, simply this job is not doable.
    This is the tool that i used, even I cut the drill to half so I can get access, no luck

I was trying to drill and use a extractor to take it out, however it seems that we need to remove the whole bracket and replace it

cost of a 2nd hand bracket NZ$50 errrr
    New ball pin from BMW NZ$15
    Labour ??? Unknown

This the area, BMW should have had a 2nd hole there just in case

and this the tool

not sure if the foot brake is going to break with out that damper

Last edited by Farshad75; 03-17-2012 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    1999 E38 740i
    I think you may have to place your foot under the parking brake pedal and lift when you release it.

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Thanks, I think I should put it ON the brake when releasing to take some pressure off it, either way this type of issues are so annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Grantnz View Post
    I think you may have to place your foot under the parking brake pedal and lift when you release it.

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Hi guys, an update, bought a radiator NZ$375, took to the mechanic, cost me around $NZ700 to do some repairs.
    Hand brake (foot) ball pin was broken and stuck half in side, 3.5 hour labor to remove the bracket, brake and trigger pedals reassembled, brake damper was faulty too. NZ$150 brand new, rear brake hose was cracked, replaced, also fuel ventilation had a bad valve,( I thought that it was charcoal canister)
    NZ$1100 errrrrrrr. Hopefully my last fix. I will put this car aside and get another car for sure. I don't want to top up my mortgage for fixing another BMW. All respect to 7 series lover )

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    Glad you got everything fixed, sorry you had a bad experience. You should go out and enjoy the car, you'll forget the bad times.

My Cars
    2001 E38 740I Sport
    Aarrgh, this just happened to mine. I was hoping for an easy fix, but I guess not.
    OP, Do you have a part number for the ball by any chance?

*EDIT*
    Ok, I think I found it. Can anyone confirm? #22 in diagram below
    Part # 07 11 9 901 557#22 in diagram below

-Messan
    Last edited by 01740ISP; 08-02-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    The above is my 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
    01 Shorty Sporty BLK/BLK

My Cars
    "97"740iL"95"316i"93"525
    Hi, I think the part number you found is correct. There are two ball pins, one at the back when the bracelet is located and one under the parking brake when you press your foot. The one at the back is pain in the butt. One is 10MM and one is 8MM,I couldn't do it myself, I think it takes 2 to 3 hours BUT I realized later that mechanic wasn't a BMW mechanic at all, so somebody should be able to do it faster. My drive way is very steep and I have to apply the parking brake hard, I tried to adjust the brake few times, but still not good.That is one the reason the pin breaks, also if the damper is old, it doesn't absorb the pressure and that is not good either. I will double check at home and let you know about that part number.