Thread: speedo tach temp and gas gauge not working

My Cars
    BMW

speedo tach temp and gas gauge not working

I have a 93 318is and the tach speedo gas and temp gauges stopped working. The odometer still works and it all lights up.
    If I hold the odometer reset button and turn the key to do the gauge check thing everything will work if I start it right after that, If I turn it off again then start it awhile later nothing works.
    I looked at the schematic on my manual and the only connection those share in common is the ground. So i don't think it is the sensors because it would be weird for all 4 to go at once, or maybe it is the
    gauge itself.
    Any one else ever have this problem?

My Cars
    2000 TiAg ///M5
    Bump lol.

I have 1999 e46 323i... Same exact problem(s)

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    98.5 m3 same issue. gas gauge and engine temp gauge not working...

My Cars
    '96 318is
    I have A 96 318 is and the fuel gauge and temp gauge both just quit at the same time. Tach and speedo still work though. My odometer and time temp both seem brighter too. I'm hoping someone might have some ideas...

My Cars
    6/92 m50 non vanos coupe
    Buy a new cluster off ebay. Make sure it matches your cars year.
    all years are interchangeable but obdii clusters in obdi car will always show the abs warning
    Same with m3 cluster, will show abs or and traction control lights.

4cyl cluster do not work in 6cyl cars, and visa versa.

could also be a fuse, google around for "e36 gas and temp guage not working" and read up.
    Last edited by gchutes; 11-02-2013 at 10:59 PM.

My Cars
    '96 318is
    I just pulled it into the garage, will further investigate tomorrow when the snow has melted off of it. Doing a bit of googling got me to check if the brake lights work or not. They don't. Kinda explains why people hate me in traffic lately...lol.

Gonna check the trunk wiring for further damage. I had already repaired 6 of the wires in that harness, perhaps one of the others is now damaged.

Possibly related is the driver's window issues. It goes up and down fine, but the part where it drops down 1/2" when opening the door, and closes the last 1/2" when closing the door has been weird lately. It'll go up/down on bumps, and now doesn't work at all. A few months ago I got out to my car in the morning and it was sitting there with the window going up, down, up down repeatedly. Not sure how long it was sitting there doing that.

Love the car, but some of these electrical issues drive me crazy. Thanks for the help so far.

My Cars
    6/92 m50 non vanos coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by E36 n00b View Post
    I just pulled it into the garage, will further investigate tomorrow when the snow has melted off of it. Doing a bit of googling got me to check if the brake lights work or not. They don't. Kinda explains why people hate me in traffic lately...lol.

Gonna check the trunk wiring for further damage. I had already repaired 6 of the wires in that harness, perhaps one of the others is now damaged.

Possibly related is the driver's window issues. It goes up and down fine, but the part where it drops down 1/2" when opening the door, and closes the last 1/2" when closing the door has been weird lately. It'll go up/down on bumps, and now doesn't work at all. A few months ago I got out to my car in the morning and it was sitting there with the window going up, down, up down repeatedly. Not sure how long it was sitting there doing that.

Love the car, but some of these electrical issues drive me crazy. Thanks for the help so far.
    yes the cluster issues and brake lights are related to a fuse issue, could also be a wire in the trunk harness.

Your door issue, give this a look. http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-fixed-t11783/
    Last edited by gchutes; 11-03-2013 at 12:07 AM.

My Cars
    '96 318is
    Picking up some JB weld tomorrow to build that little button up a touch. Push on it with my finger an it operates as it should. Sometimes it's a bit daunting trying to describe something succinctly enough to generate good results on google. I did manage to find the info, on these forums.

Thanks for your patience, and help!