Thread: Please Help. Loose ignition wire. Car doesnt crank

My Cars
    1996 328I

Please Help. Loose ignition wire. Car doesnt crank

Hi all

8 years ago I had a Viper 791 install on my e36 at Circuit City
    I guess they just use tape to connect the ignition wire.

Today I try starting my car, it would not crank.
    I get all the lights on the dash.
    The car turn in position I and Position II. But it doesnt not crank.
    Battery is good.
    Try jump starting the vehicle.

Here is the loose wire.
    I try connect the red wire to one thin strand....and try cranking the engine. No crank. No sound.

The green one appears to connected to the thin copper strand.

please help.
    What should I do?
    I had to catch the bus home...and left my car at work....
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Too Many
    The wire seems to be from the antenna ring, which reads the chip in your key. Until you fix the ring, your car will not crank or run. This is the easiest way to fix it (without swapping a DME and EWS module). Go to a junk yard and look for one or try to get one overnight.

It also seems like the copper wire coming from the antenna is not too damaged. If you are crafty or if you know a friend with good soldering skills, he/she might be able to temporarily fix it for you.

Keep in mind that usually both of the wires coming out of the ring are green. It is possible that somebody extended them, hence the red wire sticking out. I would inspect the area very well and carefully. It is possible that Circuit City just ran an extension for a bypass module of some sort.

In case you are not familiar with the terms:

EWS - security system that BMW implemented in order to make your car very hard to steal. The module uses the ring as an antenna and transmits a signal to your key. The chip in the key sends a signal back with a specific code and the module confirms that code. Only then it enables the starter and fuel injection.

DME - engine computer.

It is a common issue in case the panels under your steering column get loose. Just look around for "ring antenna" and you will find a lot of information about it.
    Last edited by kalinrs; 05-03-2012 at 01:20 AM.

My Cars
    1996 328I
    kalinrs,

I'll see if I can get an antenna ring at a junk yard or ebay...
    So I just basically replace the antenna ring....and the car should start up...

Or if i connect the broken thin copper strand the the GREEN wire, that should start the car?

What do I do with the red wire sticking it out? Do i just tape it up? I remember there was tape on it....not sure where it connects too.

My car had the auto start feature. I gave them an extra key to put in a box under the driver side dash.

Thanks again

kalinrs,

Is this what I need:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-e36-95-9...0cca79&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by uclabruins1996; 05-03-2012 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Too Many
    Yes, the link from Ebay is what you need.

Just like you said, it seems like the red wire got disconnected from the thin copper strand. You already tried touching them and starting the car but that didn't work. The reason is that the copper has lacquer on it and it needs to be cleaned before it will make a good connection.

You can try gently cleaning the strand with a pocket knife (careful not to break it), connect it back to the red wire and trying to start the car. The ring only needs to work before and while you are cranking. Once the car starts, the system doesn't check it anymore till the next start.

I would look for the other green wire under the column. If you can't find one just laying around, loose, then Circuit City must've moved the module and extended it with that red wire.

In case you buy a new ring you will have to splice the wires from it and connect them to the spot where the old ones used to go (the old green and what seems to be the old red).

I wish I could tell you for sure, but since somebody did a custom job, it is hard to tell. It does seem like somebody just extended that green wire with the red one and tied it to the ring. They could've used a second ring for the key under the column and that's why the extended the primary one. Nobody knows which route they went unless you get somebody to disassemble the column and trace the wires.
    Last edited by kalinrs; 05-03-2012 at 01:36 AM.

My Cars
    1996 328I
    So the RING Antenna is not key specific. correct?

I'll look for the other loose green wire, if it's under the column. If it's not there, I guess the red wire go with the thin copper strand.

I'll buy a new ring, and splice it with the LOOSE RED WIRE and the other GREEN WIRE.

Thanks for the input

My Cars
    Too Many
    Correct, the ring antenna is not key specific.

I hope that fixes your problem. If you are still unsure, take some pictures when you take the panels off and before you splice the new ring and post them up. Send me a PM and I will look at them (I get the PMs directly to my email). In my opinion, if no other green wire is found, then the red one is the right one.

Also, before you start splicing, I would suggest going through their installation and finding the pieces under the steering column. You should be able to trace the cables down to the EWS antenna amplifier module on which you will see a connector that will accept the original cable from the new ring. They most likely plugged something in it (like another ring or a box) that leads to the key you gave them originally. You might be able to just plug the new ring in it without having to splice it.

My Cars
    1996 328I
    Will do.
    If i cant get a quick fix....I'll have the car tow to my house......then I'll be able to take the steer column panel off and explore.
    Trying to working in a hospital parking lot is not a good idea....people though I was hot-wiring a car...

Appreciate the help!

kalinrs

I cleaned the single strand with a blade. Wrap the red wire close the the coil in the antenna and started the car.
    It worked.

It appears the other green wire goes to the Alarm system.

I'll do a perm. antenna swap when my part arrives...

Thanks for the help~
    Last edited by uclabruins1996; 05-03-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1996 328I

Now something is draining my battery

kalinrs,

So I finally installed a new Antenna for the ignition.
    But now something is draining my battery.
    May battery goes dead in less than 24 hours.
    Never had this problem before. Battery is 6 months old.

It appears I may have cross wires, the wires that goes into the antenna....because at one point, the dash lights were on WITHOUT THE KEY IN THE IGNITION.
    Then when I hit the brakes, all the lights went out. I could hear a subtle blow spinning in the background....then it finally goes out too.

Car was still connected to Viper 791 alarm system.
    I've disconnected the negative cable of the battery.....and will see tommorrow afternoon if I can start the car....

My AC works...no problems.

Thanks