Thread: Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor??

My Cars
    325 & M3 E36

Symptoms of a Bad Camshaft/Crankshaft Sensor??

Hi guys,

Maybe someone can shed some light on my situation.

My 1995 325i E36 has been running fine for a while, with some suspension and handling upgrades done recently.

It has given me some trouble with the fuel pump (what ever it does) wire running off the battery. I had to pull it off, crimp it and re-attach it.

I drove to work with no problems at all, excepting the glares from the law abiding commuters.

When i tried to start it at midday to go into town, it cranked over and over and over. But wouls not start!

I have tried everything, i've checked the wiring on the fuel pump.
    The fuel pump itself is fine, i pulled it out and ran it off the battery directly.
    i had an auto electrician pull everything apart and he checked relays, shorts and diognostics.

There were no faults on ign or ECU.

Never the less we pulled the ECU out and it was very very hot!!!

I have heard differnt things from different people, some say it's the Crank position sensor, some say the ECU...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gareth

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    The DME shouldn't be hot.

Crank but won't start is a classic cranks sensor symptom. Unfortunately the cam sensor will do the same thing. The only difference is the cam sensor will sometimes cause long cranking before it starts as the sensor fails. The only way to properly test those two sensors is to use a scope. There are resistance tests you can do but its only a partial test.

If you are getting spark but no fuel its most likely the cam sensor. No spark is the crank sensor. If none of that works then look at the DME.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 03-02-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1993 325is, 96 parts car
    Actually.................... I belive the DME does get hot. Mine was very hot also and I was quite suprised by that fact, but, makes sense as there is transistors in there with big heatsinks for a reason, so, it "may" actually be normal but dont quote me on that.

Also, in my 93 325, I just disconnected the crank sensor all together and it would start up and run. Not sure about a 95, but, give it a try.

Sorry fly, just reporting what I found, not trying to run over you, lol.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 320i coupe E36
    Signs of water in the ECU or its compartment?

My Cars
    1993 325is, 96 parts car
    Wait a minute....... The ECU was very very hot before you even had it running? Not sure which transistors, least on mine, get hot and how long it takes it to get hot. Hmmmmm.......................................