Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carls Backhalf Build Thread

My Cars
    4G63 E30, HotRod GTI
    Looks great Carl, who are you using for a converter? We have had luck with Dynamic TCT they have alot of data behind turbo 4cly autos. they are located in CT so turn around time isn't bad.

I cant wait to see the finished product man keep at it.
    Respect is 1320' away
    87 E30 9.23 @ 154

My Cars
    skateboard
    Carl is doing well. The results will rape the track, and kill many with ease.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmosfx View Post
    Carl This is an awesome build!

Scott and I missed you at the autocross Sunday. I want to see how the other E30 is coming along too!
    Ed? I was out of town with family. Would have loved to go. I autocrossed with my younger son a few weeks ago. Had a blast. Came in 1st in my novice class and my time would have been good enough for a 2nd if I were in the novice modified class.

My younger son is driving the white E30 you saw last year. I can't upload the picture of the one I drive now, photobucket error.

Actually my older and younger sons were thinking about taking my car the event I missed, but, didn't make it. I told them you and Scott would mentor them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Arruda View Post
    Looks great Carl, who are you using for a converter? We have had luck with Dynamic TCT they have alot of data behind turbo 4cly autos. they are located in CT so turn around time isn't bad.
    I use NAN Performance Converters in NJ. He's been doing sport compact converters as long as I've been racing. Of course, he's built all of mine and I know he worked on one that went 8.05 at 187(not positive about the MPH, need to check the video again) in a 2.2 liter, 4cyl, front wheel drive. And one for an 8 second SFWD SRT4 as well as other models like 2JZs, etc. He also supplies other performance vendors for resale under their brands.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmosfx View Post
    Carl This is an awesome build!

Scott and I missed you at the autocross Sunday. I want to see how the other E30 is coming along too!
    Here is the Autocross/DD:

Last edited by DblTrbl; 05-25-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    77 Corvette, turbo LS, street/strip, lots of DIY electronics https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...p-fighter.html
    LS, DCT, E36, build in progress
    89 2.5L turbo, 4cyl, MTX, Dodge Carvan
    89 E30 Manual Swap, DD and Autocross
    08 E92 335xi daily
    87 backhalf Drag E30 (on hold, for sale)

My Cars
    2009 Mustang GT
    I am very interested to see how this turns out. How hard was it to get the 4Link brackets placed properly and was there any modification required to make it work?
    2009 Mustang GT: JLT Cold Air Intake, Kooks Longtubes and catted X, Corsa Xtremes, FRPP 4.10s, Tune

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Quote Originally Posted by Red09GT View Post
    I am very interested to see how this turns out. How hard was it to get the 4Link brackets placed properly and was there any modification required to make it work?
    The frame side of the 4 link brackets are pre-welded to the back half frame. You can get the backhalf frame as seperate parts or as a jig welded assembly which is bound to be truer. It's pretty much the same price, so that's a no brainer. No modifications there.

Getting the back half frame to be square is just a function of making measurements. Measure 5 times, weld once.

The hard part for me was to decide how high into the car to weld the back half frame. I wish I had an experienced frame builder to help with this part but I had to wing it. I used the tire size as the starting point. If you have a large tire and weld the frame too low in the car, you may not have enough clearance for suspension travel and you will have to raise the back of the car off the ground. If you wled it too high, you may not have enough room in the tunnel for the drive shaft. Time will tell if I got is right.

The rear end side of the 4linksbrackets have to be welded to the axle tubes at a precise angle to create the propper no load angle between the rear and the driveshaft so that it zero's out under load. I won't weld the 4link brackets to the axle until the engine and trans are in. There is some flexibility to change angles and pre-loads in the threaded ends of the 4Link, but I want to start as close as possible to where I think it's going to end up.

The only modifications to the welded backhalf frame so far is to cut the excess length off all 4 ends because it is universal and oversized, especially for the small BMW footprint.
    77 Corvette, turbo LS, street/strip, lots of DIY electronics https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...p-fighter.html
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    2009 Mustang GT
    Quote Originally Posted by DblTrbl

The frame side of the 4 link brackets are pre-welded to the back half frame. You can get the backhalf frame as seperate parts or as a jig welded assembly which is bound to be truer. It's pretty much the same price, so that's a no brainer. No modifications there.

Getting the back half frame to be square is just a function of making measurements. Measure 5 times, weld once.

The hard part for me was to decide how high into the car to weld the back half frame. I wish I had an experienced frame builder to help with this part but I had to wing it. I used the tire size as the starting point. If you have a large tire and weld the frame too low in the car, you may not have enough clearance for suspension travel and you will have to raise the back of the car off the ground. If you wled it too high, you may not have enough room in the tunnel for the drive shaft. Time will tell if I got is right.

The rear end side of the 4linksbrackets have to be welded to the axle tubes at a precise angle to create the propper no load angle between the rear and the driveshaft so that it zero's out under load. I won't weld the 4link brackets to the axle until the engine and trans are in. There is some flexibility to change angles and pre-loads in the threaded ends of the 4Link, but I want to start as close as possible to where I think it's going to end up.

The only modifications to the welded backhalf frame so far is to cut the excess length off all 4 ends because it is universal and oversized, especially for the small BMW footprint.
    That is all very interesting, I have had a small amount of experience.of measuring 4Links that are already installed, but I have never actually installed one. So this is definitely a subscribed thread.

When you get to the point of setting everything up, Jerry Bickel has an amazing book about chassis setup, wheel size/set back, chute location, etc. if you dont already know about it I have the book and I could get you the ISBN for it.
    2009 Mustang GT: JLT Cold Air Intake, Kooks Longtubes and catted X, Corsa Xtremes, FRPP 4.10s, Tune

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Any updates on this build?

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    sorry, build went on back burner in liu of, autocross, sailboat racing, windsurfing racing and new gf.

I should do more work on it over the winter
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    Too many to list...
    Sounds good!

Doug

'97 M3/4

My Cars
    F80, E36, X3"M"
    Slacker! Don't make me haul it to my shop(with my bike!).
    97 M3 - 8.94@164 - 8 sec street machine, all BMW driveline, factory ECU
    02 M3 - 9.74@145 - Maximum PSI stage 2 turbo kit, stock motor, factory ECU
    16 M3 - 9.3@151 - Built motor/twins
    15 M3 - 9.2@162 - Built motor/single turbo/Ecutek
    BMW SOB's turbo E30 - 8.72@158.39
    follow our latest builds and upcoming events! - facebook.com/maximumpsi - instagram.com/maximumpsi

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Quote Originally Posted by mike radowski View Post
    Slacker!
    Guilty as charged.
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    Carl, great build thread, I just now saw the pics of the trans adapter. You sure are an industrious little booger. I wanted to let you know that I have S.F.I. flextplates featuring the stock bolt pattern. They are .187" chromoly made by J.W. I sold one to Boris and that's what he is currently running. My C-4 converter setup is very similar to yours and very clean, as there is no adapter required like Boris's setup. I use PTC out of Alabama. It is a Billet 9 inch front cover with bmw bolt pattern and BMW pilot. Anyway, you know exactly what you are doing and your car should be into the 8's with relative ease.
    GDM ENGINEERING

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Quote Originally Posted by zemaestro View Post
    Carl, great build thread, I just now saw the pics of the trans adapter. You sure are an industrious little booger. I wanted to let you know that I have S.F.I. flextplates featuring the stock bolt pattern. They are .187" chromoly made by J.W. I sold one to Boris and that's what he is currently running. My C-4 converter setup is very similar to yours and very clean, as there is no adapter required like Boris's setup. I use PTC out of Alabama. It is a Billet 9 inch front cover with bmw bolt pattern and BMW pilot. Anyway, you know exactly what you are doing and your car should be into the 8's with relative ease.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence. The hardest part lately has been time for my projects.

I'm interested in the SFI flexplate, but I don't think the one that Boris used to run will fit my stock style converter 3 lug pattern. Do you have one to fit stock/stock dimensions (except for thickness)?

BTW, I can't see why the stock flexplate won't pass SFI. Anyone tried to submit one? I was actually thinking of running 2 stock ones but if you have a single one, that would shortcut the process.
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    1983 BMW 315 20v turbo
    Wery nice build. Some kind for my self also

My Cars
    1995 M3 Drag C4 Auto
    P.M. sent
    GDM ENGINEERING

My Cars
    E39 | E36 | MK6 | 360 F1
    so sick. this is just awesome.

My Cars
    325is
    Group buy on bolt in e30 back half ?
    MaximumPSI.com BMW IRS World record, 8-26-16 8.695@165mph

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWSOB View Post
    Group buy on bolt in e30 back half ?
    Awesome idea!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Bolt in!! Why didn't I think of that.
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    many
    I am getting 1.30 60" times with the BMW IRS , not too shabby! Gonna keep what i got for now...And Carl, Build looks good but you need to Get it finished already, so we can see it in action!
    B.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    35D X5, 335d
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya
    I am getting 1.30 60" times with the BMW IRS , not too shabby! Gonna keep what i got for now...And Carl, Build looks good but you need to Get it finished already, so we can see it in action!
    B.
    Impressive!
    OLD
    E30

636whp
    1/4 mile: 10.91@144.38
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_f7fUVqblI

NEW BUILD
    335d

520whp
    635wtq
    120.51mph trap speed

My Cars
    many
    Quote Originally Posted by futureroadracer View Post
    Impressive!
    Thanks, But more so is the new world IRS record holder Mark Carlyle With his 6 second corvertte His 60" times are in sub 1 second range. If they can do it so can we! Check the videos below:

[ame]http://youtu.be/h5dGRjxhYG4[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/Q8hjs1BklxY[/ame]
    Last edited by djborya; 12-02-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    1991 bmw 325I <e30>
    First 8 second full body BMW with BMW independent rear suspension in the USA
    8.69 @160mph in a 1/4mile on slicks.
    drag radial tires record holder9.53@148. Also a world record holder for bmw overall 60-130mph 4.2 seconds.
    Bistein sport susp,turner sway bars,3:25lsd,m52 AEM INFINITY stand alone. MORAN 2500cc injectors E85 ,front mount 33x12x4 intercooler, 5lug conversion M3 front,Mcoupe rear Dss axles/driveshaft ATI Proglide.
    2003 Ford Expedition
    1998 M3
    1986 Mercedes Cosworth 190e 2.3 16v 5speed (sold)

My Cars
    98 neon, BMW underway
    Quote Originally Posted by djborya View Post
    B.
    Nice short time. Yes, have to get my rear in gear. No pun intended
    08 E92 335xi daily

My Cars
    1986 325e
    nice work!

My Cars
    325is
    Quote Originally Posted by DblTrbl View Post
    Nice short time. Yes, have to get my rear in gear. No pun intended
    Carl wheelies in 2014!
    MaximumPSI.com BMW IRS World record, 8-26-16 8.695@165mph

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast