Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soo the wife wants auto to manual...Q's

My Cars
    36 Cylinders

Soo the wife wants auto to manual...Q's

So the inevitable has come up: The wife would rather like a manual transmission on her amazing AW Z3, instead of the very tragic GM 4 speed auto they supplied it with. She already learned manual well in Europe (there many months out of the year for school), and she enjoys coming to the track/autoX with me. It's her daily driver (for now).

***I would hate to sell this Z3, as it has many mods already that I've put hours and hours to it.***

It includes:
    -Rear suspension carrier refresh with urethane
    -Camber and toe correction weld on tabs/bolts
    -H&R Sport Springs/Bilstein Sports
    -Sway bars + Sway bar mount reinforcement in rear (probably getting full body reinforcement on next carrier drop)
    -Hard Dog roll bar
    -minor power mods, many more coming this summer (exhaust work, M54 manifold, etc).

Here's the car at MSR Houston:

OK enough history...

I already sourced a good ZF 5-speed transmission with very good stock E36 328 flywheel, and nearly new clutch kit. It came with most accessories. It was a good deal, thanks to those involved .

I need:
    -Differential (LSD only) most likely E28 3.25 ratio (Q = GOOD?? Opinions?)
    -Driveshaft, 1240-1244 mm probably? Any input anyone?
    -The 2 pedals + clutch master cyl.
    -Shifter (which one?)

I will probably do the Pin service on the transmission before bolting it up.

How exactly do I deal with the auto tranny computer, and the reverse light switch?

Anything else I'm missing?
    I know this will be involved, but I've done harder things on this car and mine, so I look forward to a challenge.

I am SURE I don't want to sell the car and get one in manual.

I will only get an additional M Coupe soon... (she fell in love with them) Probably need to get 2, one to keep, and one to drive.

I've searched much of this, and usually the results come from E36 answers, which are similar. I apologize if there's repeating, and thank you for your time.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-15-2012 at 09:34 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    No Comment.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    You got more pics with the Contours on?

I kinda like the wheels on the Z3.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Most recent pics, I have some older ones, but without the suspension.

Yes I think the contours work excellent with the car.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by IgotBMW View Post
    You got more pics with the Contours on?

I kinda like the wheels on the Z3.
    Agreed, the contours look great. The M3 DS II wheels also look great on Z3s IMO.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    OP ask questions about a tranny swap and the thread quickly degrades to how pretty his wheels are.
    How much is the ECU affected by this swap?
    Leave the rear end alone until you get the tranny sorted out.
    Swapping those peddles is going to be a bitch of a job. Cover the carpet real well.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    OP ask questions about a tranny swap and the thread quickly degrades to how pretty his wheels are.
    How much is the ECU affected by this swap?
    Leave the rear end alone until you get the tranny sorted out.
    Swapping those peddles is going to be a bitch of a job. Cover the carpet real well.
    hahah, I'll take what I can get... I just hope it holds on till the Z3 greats (Randy, etc...we're all great, but really) come and post. I know sometimes I get too lengthy with the post, so we'll have some raise-my-post-count type posts. But I do believe in a good quality presentation. I do appreciate any input, constructive criticism, advice, well wishes, etc.

Apparently the ECU is separate from the auto transmission computer, so it shouldn't affect it, but I am curious how cruise control will act...

About the rear end... the stock is supposedly a 4.27 Torsen LSD... 4.27!! that would cause near 5000 rpm at 80mph on a manual.

Thanks for the warning on the pedals, I know it's quite cramped in there.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-15-2012 at 01:52 PM.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Yeah, we're going to have to see pics of the wife to be able to help out sufficiently.

Last edited by hexagone; 01-15-2012 at 04:07 PM.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    No Comment.
    No Reply.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    Yeah, we're going to have to see pics of the wife to be able to help out sufficiently.

Yes, this is needed before applicable advice can be given.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    hahah, I'll take what I can get... I just hope it holds on till the Z3 greats (Randy, etc...we're all great, but really) come and post. I know sometimes I get too lengthy with the post, so we'll have some raise-my-post-count type posts. But I do believe in a good quality presentation. I do appreciate any input, constructive criticism, advice, well wishes, etc.

Apparently the ECU is separate from the auto transmission computer, so it shouldn't affect it, but I am curious how cruise control will act...

About the rear end... the stock is supposedly a 4.27 Torsen LSD... 4.27!! that would cause near 5000 rpm at 80mph on a manual.

Thanks for the warning on the pedals, I know it's quite cramped in there.
    I had a quick look at the '99 ETM and the tranny module has 3 leads to the ECU and an additional 2 to the slip control unit. ECU may need a flash or more. Your rear end is very valuable. Don't turn lose of it without checking pricing. Many racers will be all over it. Have your diff ready to swap, but hold off changing until after the tranny bugs are sorted out. Though not a lot can go wrong with a diff swap, why add another variable to the “what's wrong equation” if the swap does not go smooth.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    At least one other forum member has recently done this swap. If it were me, I would do my best to get in touch with him to pick his brain.

Mods: Remus 76mm exhaust, CDV delete, ASA AR1 18in staggered wheels, Turner 12 mm spacers, custom red tails, Kenwood deck/Sirius/BT/USB, ZHP knob, Redline boot, LeatherZ armrest, Amsoil all around, red needles, Akebono Euro brake pads, 34k original miles!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
    At least one other forum member has recently done this swap. If it were me, I would do my best to get in touch with him to pick his brain.
    Sounds like a great idea, actually. What's their forum name? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PbFut View Post
    I had a quick look at the '99 ETM and the tranny module has 3 leads to the ECU and an additional 2 to the slip control unit. ECU may need a flash or more. Your rear end is very valuable. Don't turn lose of it without checking pricing. Many racers will be all over it. Have your diff ready to swap, but hold off changing until after the tranny bugs are sorted out. Though not a lot can go wrong with a diff swap, why add another variable to the “what's wrong equation” if the swap does not go smooth.
    Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-15-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    See my signature
    Good luck my friend...I love determination
    BMW
    1988 E30 M3: (STOLEN) Zinnabarot/Tan
    1991 850Ci (SOLD): Euro spec, Black/Black, Wokke Chips, Remus Exhaust, ACS Body Kit, 3.91 LSD
    1999 M Coupe (SOLD): (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, RE SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, Hi-perf. chip, Vibrant exhaust rear diffuser, ACS Type II Race wheels
    2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) JET Black/Black, UUC SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, SS Powerflo headers/Custom Exhaust, 3.73 LSD, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
    2006 Mini Cooper S: Hyper Blue/white Top/blue-charcoal interior, Alta Supercharger pulley/cold air intake/light Crank pulley, Headers, OBX exhaust (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    '01 Z3.0 R; '13 MB Coupe
    Sounds like a great idea, actually. What's their forum name? Thanks

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.
    Posts 7 and 17 may be helpful

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...t=5+speed+swap

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Thanks, I had seen that, I'm just hoping that DSC and cruise control won't be affected in any way. I don't think his 98 had DSC.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    I just did the swap in my z3...its a 98 1.9l...I bought a e36 318 parts car so i could get the pedels, trans, and driveshaft. the trans was a Getrag not a zf..Here were my findings.......

things you need While swapping

Shift linkage from a z3... e36 is different length
    The front half of the manual driveshaft will fit perfect with the back half of the auto driveshaft in the car.
    The pedals are no big deal just take the time to remove the seat, and plastic/metal parts around the steering colum.to make it easy...
    DO NOT INSTALL A USED CLUTCH, USED SLAVE CYLINDER,USED MASTER CYLINDER, OR USED GUIBO (YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATER)
    The swap was pretty much plug and play....I installed the pedal set...with new parts and lines
    Then the transmision with a new clutch
    fit the driveshaft and your ready...

NOTES....
    the plug has to be wired so that the car will start...the plug i am refering to is the one that plugs into the shifter assembly on the auto.
    i can provide better details on this if you need...
    My reverse lights never worked before so i dunno about that
    the cruise control doesnt work since you are tricking the car into thinking its in park or neutral so it will start...
    the only light that lights on the dash is the trans fail idicator....I removed the bulb...
    UMMM im sure im missing alot but i have tons of pics and things...

Honestly i had my parts ready and i drove it in, swapped it and drove it out in 6hrs.

Any questions just pm me or whateve...

i just reread your post...i dunno if yours is a 4 or 6 but the swap is the same ... the Traction controll works perfect still but the cruise does not...

dont be dishearted by ppl telling you its not worth it or just to sell it... it was actually a super easy swap and for the money i have invested im super happy...

More notes.. i am still using the auto diff which is a 4.10 or 4.11...
    Yes it runs the revs up on the hwy i am not perfect on this but its something like 4k at 65 mph....

It pulls like a mofo down low tho and gave the 4 banger some spunk....
    Yes i run 265-35s-18 on the back so a 3.5k launch is rather violent and beats most cars off the line lol

I enjoy the diff in the mtns. just because the gears are short and tight and it keeps the engine in the power band better.
    Last edited by z3540i; 01-16-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    z3
    Thanks, I had seen that, I'm just hoping that DSC and cruise control won't be affected in any way. I don't think his 98 had DSC.
    Psh, DSC, who needs it

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    Psh, DSC, who needs it
    Well I am trying to make it as unnoticeable as possible. So far it looks like the snags will be the cruise control, start switch, and reverse lights. I will have access to a BMW dealer's programming tools (at a cousin's convenience) so I will try to see if we can trick the ECU into thinking it's a real car. If not I'll look into how to modify the harness, or replace it with a manual's.

Thanks for the info z3540i, I will definitely keep in touch.
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by z3540i View Post
    I just did the swap in my z3...its a 98 1.9l...I bought a e36 318 parts car so i could get the pedels, trans, and driveshaft. the trans was a Getrag not a zf..Here were my findings.......

things you need While swapping

Shift linkage from a z3... e36 is different length
    The front half of the manual driveshaft will fit perfect with the back half of the auto driveshaft in the car.
    The pedals are no big deal just take the time to remove the seat, and plastic/metal parts around the steering colum.to make it easy...
    DO NOT INSTALL A USED CLUTCH, USED SLAVE CYLINDER,USED MASTER CYLINDER, OR USED GUIBO (YOU WILL THANK YOURSELF LATER)
    The swap was pretty much plug and play....I installed the pedal set...with new parts and lines
    Then the transmision with a new clutch
    fit the driveshaft and your ready...

NOTES....
    the plug has to be wired so that the car will start...the plug i am refering to is the one that plugs into the shifter assembly on the auto.
    i can provide better details on this if you need...
    My reverse lights never worked before so i dunno about that
    the cruise control doesnt work since you are tricking the car into thinking its in park or neutral so it will start...
    the only light that lights on the dash is the trans fail idicator....I removed the bulb...
    UMMM im sure im missing alot but i have tons of pics and things...

Honestly i had my parts ready and i drove it in, swapped it and drove it out in 6hrs.

Any questions just pm me or whateve...

i just reread your post...i dunno if yours is a 4 or 6 but the swap is the same ... the Traction controll works perfect still but the cruise does not...

dont be dishearted by ppl telling you its not worth it or just to sell it... it was actually a super easy swap and for the money i have invested im super happy...

More notes.. i am still using the auto diff which is a 4.10 or 4.11...
    Yes it runs the revs up on the hwy i am not perfect on this but its something like 4k at 65 mph....

It pulls like a mofo down low tho and gave the 4 banger some spunk....
    Yes i run 265-35s-18 on the back so a 3.5k launch is rather violent and beats most cars off the line lol

I enjoy the diff in the mtns. just because the gears are short and tight and it keeps the engine in the power band better.

Soo what if you wire the car's auto shifter wiring to the clutch switch?

I mean like this:

The wires that give the signal that the transmission is in Neutral to receive signal when clutch switch is PRESSED. (allows car to be started when clutch is pressed)

and

The wires that give the signal that the transmission is in Drive to be wired when the clutch switch is DE-Pressed. (allows cruise control to think it's in Drive when the car has the clutch released) Besides cruise is speedo dependent as well no?

Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post

Oh and that's her in the car in all of those pics... lol

She'll pass on other pics for now, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by z3540i View Post
    Does this mean that I can use the front part of the E36 328i Manual driveshaft and put it into the Z3 driveshaft and the length will be what I need?

If so, that would be a good money saver, I can source an E36 front halfshaft easy.

I know I can find this out if I measure the length from engine to the driveshaft support bearing on my 328is. But I'm not anywhere near it at the moment, until summer.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 01-17-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Personally, I would pick up another car, swap the interior if your interior is better and then sell the slushbox.

Its a boat load of work to make the electronics happy.

The mechanical stuff is pretty straight forward though.

I would think the time/money would get you into a lower mileage manual transmission alternative pretty easy.

My spare driveshaft measures in right at 46.5 inches in length. There is a slip joint in the middle that gives you about a quarter inch of play.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Thanks for the advice and for the measurement, that helps. How much are one of those shafts new these days?
    -Abel

- 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Lots
    I have a Rogue shift kit if your interested.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post23514181

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    I Think your idea should work about the clutch switch....I just wanted it to run to i wired it without a clutch switch as i dont care about the cruise control but what your saying would work...and for my situation i mated the E36 318 front shaft to the z3 back shaft and it fit/worked great

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    "Soo the wife wants auto to manual..."

Just curious. Does "the wife" refer to you as "the husband"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast