Thread: Vortec SBC 350 swap into a 95 318i

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53

Vortec SBC 350 swap into a 95 318i

Yeah I know it's been talked about before and haters gonna hate () but I've got a 94 318i with a clear title I was going to scrap... however, a V8 into an e36 has always been appealing to me.

Sure an LS1 with a 6 speed would be sweet but that's not what this is about. I'm not a fan of automatics so a six speed T-56 will be in the future after I burn up the auto and/or actually get this thing drivable. This is intended to be a budget build for a would-be scrap car using mostly parts I already own.

I've got a 95 325i and a 97 M3 and a 96 Suburban with a Vortec 5.7L and auto trans, all complete parts cars. I will finally have the opportunity to actually make this happen after the new year.

Donor Suburban
    burb.JPG

95 325i parts car
    DSC05782.JPG

The lucky 94 318i
    IMAG0056.JPG

Pics of the M3 are on my other computer sorry..

Basic Plans:
    >Motor mounts, trans mounts I'll fab.
    >Drive shaft: rear BMW yolk welded to the suburban front & cut to length
    >Diff: 3.15 LSD from the 95 325i
    >Radiator & electric fan from another parts car w/ separate trans cooler.
    >Complete engine, trans, computer, and harness from Suburban
    >Block hugger headers and custom dual exhaust ...& flowmasters
    >Steering linkage will be modified with u-joints for clearance
    >HD Bilstein struts
    >Lots of parts from the 97 M3
    >Oil pan to subframe clearance: Modified subframe or oil sump??
    >gauges?? custom I guess.
    >other major stuff? ideas? (to get it drivable)

My Cars
    1991 325i
    go for it man, those engines are great and would make that thing fly. just remember to have a look at the suspension and make sure the front doesnt drag with those extra 4 cylinders up there.
    1991 BMW 325i(Current Daily) (S52)
    I have carburetors, and I'm not afraid to use them!
    There are always other fish (engines) in the sea (Craigslist)
    Life is about enjoying the engine you are sitting behind.

My Cars
    Daily Del Slow
    Dude, good luck fitting it in there! Otherwise, sounds awesome! keep updated.
    Protip:
    Used cars are always lemons.
    Especially if I've used them.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS

Tag

I want to watch this happen
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    E36
    don't

there isn't enough support for that vortec. I looked into it a little bit as I too have a crunched 96 yukon that I just pulled the 5.7 from last weekend. (have a 944 wanting GM power).

After my reading/discussion with some hot rod/drag friends, I was convinced to do a Gen 3 (LS) swap...the vortec is a pain to deal with tuning etc.

If you do do it...I want tons of build thread!!!! As then I would use it in my 944.... , lol.
    Last edited by Moron95M3; 12-01-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Thanks guys I will def do a build thread with tons of pictures. I hope to start sometime in January.

Random thought. I wonder if the stock GM power steering pump would be ok to use connected to the other BMW steering components. I guess ATF could still be used?

I won't be doing much to this engine as far as aftermarket support. Maybe in another V8 project. This will just be for fun.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    So I finally got around to taking the 350 out of the Suburban and doing somewhat of a rough test fit into the bimmer. Of course a few obvious issues that I knew I would have to deal with; the oil pan and the exhaust manifolds. I removed the exhaust manifolds and will look into a set of build-your-own headers or block huggers. The oil pan, I haven't decided yet. maybe front sump or modified subframe or it may fit once i remove that huge auto trans. I picked up a manual trans so I'm probably gonna go that route. I hate autos anyway, but we'll see.

This project will take a while so I apologize in advance for not being as quick with updates as I'd like to be. Goal is for it to be drivable by the end of the year. Here are some pics for your viewing pleasure

Suburban engine bay

BMW engine bay

Somebody get the lube it's gonna be a tight fit

oil pan hitting subframe

I think it would slide in if i took the trans off and was able to maneuver it a little better. Might need to drop the sub frame a couple inches too not sure yet.

My Cars
    00 E38,01 E38,99 323 is
    Huh that's interesting. My 99 Vortec (in my Tahoe) has a horizontally mounted oil filter. I see that yours is vertical.

Horizontally mounted oil filters always irritate me Make a mess every time I change the oil.
    9/2004 Chevrolet Suburban Z71, black, purchased March 2016, 270k miles.
    6/99 740i Cosmos Schwartz M Sport, 214k miles, purchased May 2017
    2001 740i OrientBlau M Sport, purchased March 2023
    1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes, Blue/White, PCM Ford 351W, PowerSlot, 912 hours, purchased September 2012 (not a car )
    4/99 323is/5. Titansilber, 211k miles. Straight body project.

past BMWs: 5/1994 325isa (Arktisgrau), 3/1997 328is/5 (cosmosschwartz), 9/1990 535i/5 (calypsorot), 9/1990 318i/5 (brillantrot) 7/93 325i/5 convertible (samoablau) 2/92 325i/5 cabriolet (lagunengruen).
    SÜNDE REISEN

My Cars
    1998 BMW 323IS
    Well that HVAC Blower motor will never be any easier to get to...hahahah

Good luck with this

Dwight
    A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove. But the world may be different, because I was important in the life of a child.

for Zach, Everett, and Lilly

My Cars
    2010 BMW x5
    those engines are great and would make that thing fly

My Cars
    05 330Xi 6spd
    if i remember from previous builds, you can take the oil pan and flip it, or maybe thats for m50's in e30's

My Cars
    98 328is
    Subscribed. Looks like fun

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    So I removed the sagging trans tunnel insulation and was able to get the oil pan to clear the subframe. The 700R4 is too big & wide for me to really be able to position the engine at the correct angle so I'm going to remove it before I go further. The manual trans I'm going to use should fit fine though. I need to do something with the steering shaft. Thinking of routing it to the frame rail using universal joints so it clears the exhaust manifold.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 318is
    wow looks cool man good luck with the build

My Cars
    325iC
    Yea good luck, looks pretty interesting, can't wait to see some more progress

My Cars
    '96 328; '85 4Runner
    When you get that wedged in there do you go sit in the car to reflect? ... and make vrrrrroooooommmm .... vrrrrrooooommmm engine noises?
    David M.
    '96 328 Sedan

My Cars
    97 M3, 65 Mustang FB
    Do you own your own shop to do this work?

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
    When you get that wedged in there do you go sit in the car to reflect? ... and make vrrrrroooooommmm .... vrrrrrooooommmm engine noises?
    guilty. but it sounds more like GLAGLALAGLAGAGALAAAH!!! cause I pretend it has flowmasters or glasspacks

Quote Originally Posted by dano670 View Post
    Do you own your own shop to do this work?
    I do, nothing extravagant, but it's definitely handy for projects like this.

My Cars
    '96 328; '85 4Runner
    Quote Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    guilty. but it sounds more like GLAGLALAGLAGAGALAAAH!!! cause I pretend it has flowmasters or glasspacks
    Glad I'm not the only one! I told a female companion I did this and she laughed at me and said Really?!? I was like ... Yeah ... doesn't everyone?? She kind of rolled her eyes and muttered something that sounded like "Guys really are from Mars!"
    Last edited by paniolo; 02-23-2012 at 02:10 PM.
    David M.
    '96 328 Sedan

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    this is awesome, i was glad when i saw this thread. I've had 2 camaros one with a 305 and one with a 350 and these motors are just solid. E36 chasity + American motor = a great street car.

Good luck man! let us know if you need any advice/assitance.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    thanks! I love these motors too. The best balance of simplicity, power, weight, size, cost, etc.. I could use some ideas actually.. I took the trans off and was able to set the motor in the engine bay very easily. Almost too easily... But my concerns at the moment are the manifolds & the engine mounts (particularly on the driver side), and the steering box.

Block hugger headers should work fine on the passenger side but I'm wondering where exactly the header will dump and if I will be able to route it between the oil pan and steering shaft/box. It also could also interfere with the fabbed engine mount on that side. I think i might pick up a set of headers and see... Here are a few pics. Ideas are welcome.

Measurements for Hedman Tight Tube Street Rod Headers

Motor mount is above(ish) the steering box

Front-side view engine sitting in bay quite nicely. Hood should shut fine. I think...

Front view

Driver Side overhead view of steering / frame rail / subframe

My Cars
    '08 750 Li, E36 coupe
    Ever get this going? The E36 is a blast to drive with a decent power plant. The aftermarket support for sbc's makes them hard to ignore for projects like this. I couldn't pass one up for my drag car. sbc/E36/E85= 9.97@135mph. Any updates and pics of install to add?