Thread: Thoughts on this 2001 BMW 525i Sport Edition $5500. List of work done.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

Thoughts on this 2001 BMW 525i Sport Edition $5500. List of work done.

This seems like a decent find, right?

==================

The car has been 90% restored with all OEM parts. It starts, rides, and feels like great
    The interior is in great condition,very clean
    The heater and the ac work great

The car only has 170,000 BMW/ Highway Miles ... These cars are built and designed to run way past 300,000 miles; espeacially the way I treat the car ...

Here is a list of the work done. Most of the work wasn't necessary, I just decided to do it because I am meticulous to say the least...

ALL NEW OEM:

Front left/right upper and lower control arms
    Stabilizer links
    Rear - Left/Right Lower Control Arms and Ball joints
    Rear - Left/Right Stabilizer links
    Rear - Left/Right Ball Joints

Transmission - Brand new filter and complete fluid flush with Synthetic Oil

Engine - All new ignition coils and spark plugs
    new valve cover gasket, new water pump and thermostat
    New intake and exhaust cam sensors, new cold air intake
    new engine oil and filter, New ABS sensors on all wheels,
    New breaks and rotors New ICV, oem fuel filter
    Mass Air Flow Sensor was Thoroughly cleaned
    4 NEW Bosch oxygen sensors

170k miles.
    $5500

Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-06-2011 at 06:42 PM.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Flushing a transmission that old is rolling the dice. That is what I would be most scared of! Or any original Auto transmission at that mileage. Test that transmission from a stop a lot! And be prepared for a rebuild/replacement at some point, expensive.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    While the recent services is encouraging, that gives you little indication of how often all the previous maintenance was performed....which to me is more important. If they had records the oil was changed religiously every 7500 miles and trans and diff changed at least every 60k miles, would hold more weight with me. Most 525 sport had a more attractive wheel than those....those are the sport wheels used on the older 528...which kind of dates the car imo.

Also, I believe most people would enjoy the performance of a 530 Sport package car more than the 525. (230hp versus 195hp)
    Last edited by f355spider; 11-06-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    2001 540 M-Sport (cdn), ST X (KW) coilovers, H&R 15mm spacers, Eibach anti roll bars (28mm/18mm), Beastpower rear antiroll bar brackets, M5 rear chassis reinforcements (traction rods), Strong Strut front upper strut bar, Dinan Stage 1 software, factory M-Audio subs, Bavsound speaker upgrade, Bluebus bluetooth integration, Stop Tech SS brake lines, ATE coated brake rotors, ATE ceramic brake pads.

My Cars
    BMW '01 e39 540i Sport
    Instead of restoring it to sell you should have parted in. I think you could make more money that way (it's not too late, however).
    How much have you spent overall on those repairs?
    My opinion.
    Last edited by Dob3rman; 11-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Dob3rman View Post
    Instead of restoring it to sell you should have parted in. I think you could make more money that way (it's not too late, however).
    How much have you spent overall on those repairs?
    My opinion.

OP is posting an ad, not a car he has. He is considering buying the above car.

My Cars
    BMW '01 e39 540i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    OP is posting an ad, not a car he has. He is considering buying the above car.
    Right. Just misunderstood.

My Cars
    e39 540i/a, e30 325i
    other than the seller cant spell brakes, it looks ok.

I would go through that car with a fine tooth comb. It seems like the owner hasn't had the car long and has refurbished it to sell the car.

If the owner has owned it a while I would want to know when these services were done, as that would make a difference in how I would perceive the maintenance history.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Quote Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
    Flushing a transmission that old is rolling the dice. That is what I would be most scared of! Or any original Auto transmission at that mileage. Test that transmission from a stop a lot! And be prepared for a rebuild/replacement at some point, expensive.
    What's a tranny rebuild going to run in NY?

On the plus side, the car is priced at rock bottom.
    You're not going to find this car any lower, even with zero work done.
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-06-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Updated asking price of $4800

Seller is a nice guy, and a car enthusiast.
    He paid in the $3's for this, and put in a long of parts and labor.
    He's taking a loss on this, as it wasn't for profit, but as a hobby.

It's just a matter of deciding if I want a 525 (vs. 325) and dealing with an automatic,
    which does partly defeat the whole risk/splurging for upgrading to a "luxury driving machine".
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    cheap price , a lot of miles but maybe a good deal

My Cars
    M3
    OP, you found a decent car that comes close to what you desire and thats easy for this forum to understand. Now take a step back and reconsider what youre about to spend your money on.

This car might have the sport package or color combination that you desire but in my opinion still isnt worth it. The price also seems to be almost too attractive to be true, which in majority cases means there are hidden problems so that the buyer can justify the low price. Instead of buying this I suggest you spend more time looking and find one that might be slightly more expensive with the proper millage and service history. The price difference will pay itself off.

This still doesnt mean you shouldnt take it around the block and see what its worth, you never know it might turn out to be worthwhile.

Good luck

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Arctic, why isn't is still worth it?
    B/c it automatic? Or b/c of the 170k miles?

My Cars
    e39 540i/a, e30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    2 reasons.

A problem car continues to be a problem car. One that has high mileage and was not taken care of, is not always set straight when one owner tries to make up for its previous life.

No amount of Post maintenance can make up for a lack of preventative maintenance and car. Just think of the small things that were probably never taken care of, if big things are issues.

With that said, the seller of this car put lots of money into the car and likely helped it out alot, maybe everything is fixed, but I would be super leary because if it all was fixed why would the seller need to get rid of the car at a loss, unless the seller has discovered its a never ending battle with the car.

Final problem is with 170k, there are far cleaner and less suspicious cars, for the same money or even less.

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    +1 to the above. Don't decide based on emotion. Some other things to consider:

What about the cooling system? That is way overdue.

While the suspension links have been replaced, the struts are still original.

If he replaced the suspension links with cheap aftermarket brands (i.e. Hamburg Technic, Meyle, etc.), you will need to redo them in 20K.

The same goes for the CPS and other parts. If they aren't OEM brands, expect to replace them shortly.

The Vanos seals are still original.

While the purchase price appears reasonable, the cost to maintain this car may be high. There is a bit of risk associated with this. If he did this for a hobby, look at the parts receipts. If the parts used were not OEM

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesthebikeguy View Post
    ...Final problem is with 170k, there are far cleaner and less suspicious cars, for the same money or even less.
    I've got a late 2000 (6/00 build date) 528i, 5 speed with Sport Package, that just turned 170k. $4k in parts/labor and $1200 in upgrades within the past two years (not counting wear items like tires, and the M5 front bumper that I haven't installed yet). I've got service records going back to the second owner (2003 CPO).

I wouldn't even consider selling for $5500, let alone $4800.

Anyone that has properly maintained their E39 and has a car that is running reliably is not going to sell it that cheap. No matter what the mileage is.

The chrome on that car for sale in NY gives it away as a non Sport Package car. And the automatic transmission is a time bomb.
    --
    2001 E36 Z3 3.0 5MT/Sport - back to 3 pedals, current FUN car, part time DD
    2000 E46 323iT 5AT/Sport - damned AT lost reverse, sold on an project car
    2009 E92 335i 6MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, sorely missed
    2000 E39 528i 5MT/Sport - escaped the PRC, sold to a good home, missed

My Cars
    2002 530i w/sport
    Quote Originally Posted by NoTempoLimit View Post
    The chrome on that car for sale in NY gives it away as a non Sport Package car.
    If the seller is misrepresenting the car to sell it, I would run away as fast as you can. I smell a rat...

My Cars
    M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
    Its a combination of things, I would say the maintenance history looks poor at best.

I am quoting a good friend of mine that works as a master tech for bmw when I say that the transmission thats in this car is made by GM, personally I have not seen one last longer than 200k miles, therefore I would be leery of purchasing something with this many miles. It really all depends on how its been driven, but the manual transmissions in these cars are far superior.

There are other assumptions I can begin to draw but my advice to you would be to save up a little more and find a one owner, well maintained, accident free car rather than try and save a small fortune on this one.

- Marek
    Last edited by Arctic///M3; 11-30-2011 at 03:14 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    I'd pass for no other reason that 525i slushers are real snoozers.

Plus, trying a 0-60 will simply bore you to death.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    I think if I'm going to do a BMW, I might as well wait for the 5-speed. But, that said, doesn't the "steptronic" feature give you the control of a stick?

Thanks for the advice and wisdom. Yes, the history of the car may not be well documented. I'll try to find a suburban finance type who is selling. I am in no rush whatsoever.

I also agree with Geezers "snoozer" post about the automatic being unremarkable. In general, like I said in another thread, I don't really even see a huge difference in driving an auto 2001 525i and my 1999 Camry 4-cyl. I have now driven 2 BMW's and they're "fine". I guess the steering feels a little more "sticky/molasses-like" ...Meanwhile, I was expecting to see rainbows the way people here talk. Maybe Jap cars are seriously underrated, b/c I think it's an awesome ride, and its a 130k Camry shitbox for crissakes. I can't even imagine what a higher end, later model Jap car drives like.

Good point on the tranny timebomb. What do you think a tranny rebuild goes for?

It doesn't make sense that he'd take such a loss after just a few months, unless he truly just got bored with the car or needs a truck, or doesn't want a 2nd car anymore. (parking space, etc)
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 11-30-2011 at 08:35 PM.