Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BMW Diagnostics - Inside view

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

BMW Diagnostics - Inside view

Diagnostics, Coding and Programming. DIS, INPA, NCS, SSS, What do they mean?

First off, lets set out some definitions:

• Diagnostics are any tool that can be used to troubleshoot, offer advice, and help you fix a problem.

• Coding is when some small setting is changed to offer a different result.

• Programming is when an entire module gets re-written with variations of factory programs or updates

Now lets explain what some programs are:

• DIS – Diagnostic Information System - Is the DEALER diagnostic program that offers service resets, diagnoses problems, give routines used to help further diagnosis, error code reading and clearing. DIS also does some coding and programming in version 44. After v44 (12/2005) all coding/programming was split off to:

• SSS/Progman – The DEALER coding and programming tool

INPA – The factory engineering tool used for diagnosis of problems and error code reading/clearing, service resets, tweaking, activating….etc

• NCS – The factory coding tool used to tweak settings for altered results.

• WinKFP – The factory programming tool for module updates and re-writes

• ETK – Electronic parts database showing supercessions, weights, qtys, etc

• TIS – The factory/dealer electronic service manual showing all the repair diagrams and pictures for service

• WDS – The electronic wiring diagram system showing fuses, modules, wiring, etc

Now lets discuss some interfaces:

• ADS – This is for any Pre-OBDII BMW (1995 and earlier) cars (E31, E32, E34, E36, E38) ADS uses 3 lines to send/receive data.

• OBD – Any OBDII compliant car after 1995. (E31, E38, E39, E46 etc) 2- line send/receive data

• D/K CAN – Most chassis after 2003-4 depending

The later E38 can use either the ADS or OBD interfaces. I recommend the ADS/OBD switchable as that gives you such a large range of cars for the money.

Must be noted that the ADS interface does require a serial RS-232 port on the computer.

If interested in more information, you can build your own system (via the Diagnostic forum) or contact me for information on how to acquire a running system for your needs.

As you can see from all this information, it’s a must have tool to anyone with multiple BMWs and DIY capability.

BMW dealers charge by the hour for these tools. (Dealer tools as they don’t have the factory ones… )

The following posts will show some of the power of these programs based upon E38 use:
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 11-16-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

Inpa

INPA

Main page:

Main page showing Old Models:

Showing E38 modules:

DME was selected and takes you to DME Main page:

F4 Error Memory:

F1 read memory:

F2 Clear memory:

Misc pics of various Digital and analog pages:

You can also test all of the cars modules simultaneously versus module by module as Ive shown here above. Keep in mind that this was just the DME engine control module shown.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

Dis

DIS

DIS Main screen:

DIS Model select:

DIS E38 Home (Modules in black are modules found in the car, each car may be different depending on options. Modules listed as X have errors. ! means no errors)

DME error main page:

Expert mode to read/clear errors:
    Last edited by IcemanBHE; 11-16-2011 at 02:04 AM.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

SSS/Progman

SSS/Progman Showing the E38 CKM (Car key memory settings menu)

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36

Ncs ckm

NCS
    The exact same NCS CKM option list as shown in the above SSS/Progman post. Notice the options are in German. You must know what your doing.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Questions?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740il
    Very nice. I've had hell getting DIS to work on one of my laptops, even following the threads. I've had a hard time finding a good copy of SSS/Progman as well. Of these, which would you consider the most valuable to have? I also need to buy a good connection cable as well, but haven't heard anything good on most of the ebay ones.

Frauke: 2001 BMW 740iL -91k

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Its not easy. You have about a 50/50 ratio of getting each program to work. Thats after you spend about 40 hours collecting the programs and 10-12 hours setting them up.

Personally, I hate DIS and Progman. I like the factory tools.

Most ebay cables are junk. Its about 50/50 there also. Thats why I only use Rv8FlyBoys ADS/OBD swtchable interface. Guaranteed to work.

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    And you post this why?

More people to screw up the car??

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    e91, e38, c4, b4
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post

Most ebay cables are junk. Its about 50/50 there also. Thats why I only use Rv8FlyBoys ADS/OBD swtchable interface. Guaranteed to work.
    1+

INPA and NCS are great, so light sofwares so they work fast on almost every laptop.

The $10 VAG-COM usb-cable from dealextreme works like sharm when you mod it by the instruction found on this forum. The cons are that they broke quite easely if it's connected to the car and the engine is started for livedata view or something. Well 2 of them have broke down in 3 years and after about thousen readings/programmings.

BMW 320d Touring e91 -06 ----- BMW 740iA "ALPINA" e38 -00
    Audi UrS4 Avant 2.2T Twincharged @624hp/737Nm -93 ----- Audi 80q B4 2.2T @500hp/620Nm -92

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Gr8 write up! Helps some people understand their software a bit more...

My Cars
    98 740i, 03 Victory
    I think this is an excellent post. It gives us a good idea about what is out there and some of the capabilities of the systems. Personally, I like to have the ability to diagnose and even program when needed.

If only it was a bit easier to set these programs up. They can be time consuming.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Dont buy ebay cables. Theres a member who makes/sells a quality tested no mod needed cable or get from ICE i believe he uses the same cable...

My Cars
    1998 740i - 2009 318i
    As computers are particularly stupid in interacting with the real world, you can choose between trying to set up a system by yourself, wasting hundreds of hours with an uncertain outcome or, as me, buying a 100% operational one from an expert guy that delivers it to you loaded with so many programs and lots of info.

As time IS money, I think buying an Icebox is definitively the way to go.
    Sweet Car of Mine, You make me so happy...
    '09 E90, just clean
    '98 E38, Oxford Green, new 18" wheels, new tires, new front & rear suspension, new rear struts
    New tail lights, new headlights, 6000°K xenon lamps
    New Zimmermann rotors, Akebono pads, new valve cover gaskets.
    New spark plugs, new MAF, new Lambda sensors, new ICV, new camshaft sensors
    New Radiator Hoses & Coolant Fluid, new steering hoses, new OSV valve, new TPS, new ASR sensor.
    Icebox Owner&User, Leather seats treatment & restoration

This is definitively a endless list.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Thanks Ice - excellent post with lots of effort put in to help us plebs!

Showing a few example pages gives us a good idea of what the interface looks like - and what we can program and fiddle with. As Edwin says, there's a good chance of completely mangling the car if we are stupid enough to fiddle with parameters that are outside our knowledge - but it is still good to know what is available and what it can do.

I for one, am better informed now! I was a confirmed Carsoft fiddler - but INPA is so much better, a really simple interface, easy to install and does everything a diagnostic tool should do.
    Last edited by Timm; 11-16-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1990 735il, 1997 740il
    great cable from rv8flyboy, I use it to check live running data with INPA often, been fixing problems 1 by 1...saving tons of $$$

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740IL, 205k
    Its not easy. You have about a 50/50 ratio of getting each program to work. Thats after you spend about 40 hours collecting the programs and 10-12 hours setting them up.

What is the icebox? I'm looking for a diagnostic system. When I search I see your name and mention of the icebox. Is there a link this? Thanks.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    DIS, NCS, and INPA have been great for me. Especially with the nav retrofit and the xenon retrofit, DIS made things really easy.

This may be a basic noob question, but can any of these reset the oil service light?
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    2001 740i
    I really do think that having a dealership or an indy shop to diagnose these cars can help us to remember how complex they are. Edwins point is well taken. If you don't know what your doing then ask for help or leave to those who do this on a daily basis. The cost of all this data and upgrade has to be something else.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan77
    great cable from rv8flyboy, I use it to check live running data with INPA often, been fixing problems 1 by 1...saving tons of $$$
    U got it. Best cable for ads and obd! Well worth the $.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Quote Originally Posted by Timm View Post
    Thanks Ice - excellent post with lots of effort put in to help us plebs!

Showing a few example pages gives us a good idea of what the interface looks like - and what we can program and fiddle with. As Edwin says, there's a good chance of completely mangling the car if we are stupid enough to fiddle with parameters that are outside our knowledge - but it is still good to know what is available and what it can do.

I for one, am better informed now! I was a confirmed Carsoft fiddler - but INPA is so much better, a really simple interface, easy to install and does everything a diagnostic tool should do.
    Thks Tim. Knowledge is power. I did this post to show various programs and capabilities. Contrary to Edwins belief...I think that serious owners should be equipped. Ill add more to it later for WDS, ETK, TIS etc....as I think of them

I have Carsoft also. It sux.

My Cars
    2005 E66 740Li
    I have DIS set up on a laptop, took me 3 hours to configure it and it seems to work.

Problem is I have no idea how to use it, and I have a computing background.

Any manuals out there?

My Cars
    e91, e38, c4, b4
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    This may be a basic noob question, but can any of these reset the oil service light?
    INPA - E38 - Body - Insrument Cluster - Actvate - Reset...

Hope I remember right..?

BMW 320d Touring e91 -06 ----- BMW 740iA "ALPINA" e38 -00
    Audi UrS4 Avant 2.2T Twincharged @624hp/737Nm -93 ----- Audi 80q B4 2.2T @500hp/620Nm -92

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thuppu View Post
    INPA - E38 - Body - Insrument Cluster - Actvate - Reset...

Hope I remember right..?
    Right on! Worked like a charm.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    728i M Sport Individual
    DIS

DIS Main screen:

DIS Model select:

DIS E38 Home (Modules in black are modules found in the car, each car may be different depending on options. Modules listed as X have errors. ! means no errors)

DME error main page:

Expert mode to read/clear errors:
    I used something like this a few days ago to clear my engine management light on the cluster

and air bag light

also my parking sensors wern't working and it read that the rear right centre sensor is faulty

so i did try to clear the codes and it came up as faulty again and we opened and found the sensor wire worked its way loose so connected and resetted and all was workign fine

shows how good these things are was a small screen with a cable that the my mates garage connected to a plug under the hood and i thought id have a paly with it

so no silly lights on my dash and all is pefect

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast