Thread: How do I know if my Z3 Roadster has remote keyless entry?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster

How do I know if my Z3 Roadster has remote keyless entry?

I purchased my '98 2.8 Z3 Roadster a few months ago. All I got with the car is one valet key. I know that I have virtually no choice but to go to the dealer and get gouged for more keys. (That IS true, no?)

My question is, how do I tell if my car is keyless entry equipped? Did they even offer that system on '98 Roadsters? Can I tell by VIN number? What are my options on a remote if the system is in fact installed? Are the remotes built into the key head, or are they the more common key fob types? I'm lost on this whole remote / key issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Even if I don't have the system, and info on the least expensive place for me to get keys would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks.

My Cars
    1997 M3/4/5
    According to a pin near my trunk light, my 98' roadster comes pre-wired for a security system (including keyless entry I assume). My key, however, doesn't have any buttons suggesting it has keyless entry. You probably have the same deal as me.

My guess is that keyless entry was an add on that you would need to have some receiver installed and programmed to a key fob, something the PO never did.

My car unlocks and drives just fine with the valet key. I took apart my main key once and there didn't seem to be any kind of chip or anything that would only allow it to work with the ignition. All there was, was a little mechanism for activating this LED key-hole light activated by pressing the BMW badge on the key.

My Cars
    01 Z3 Coupe 3.0i, Z4 2.5
    For the alarm and door lock/unlock system, open the hood, look for an alarm siren behind the aluminum bumper. Should also have a Red LED and sound mic either on the center console portion under your AC/Heat controls, or at the very back of the console between the seats. If you have none of these you most likely don't have a factory alarm installed. I'm not sure if "keyless entry" was offered without an alarm system.

~Mike....

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    The local dealership wants $70 for a regular key. Is there a better deal on the web or mailorder somewhere?

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3, 2014 M235i
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerXTreme7 View Post
    For the alarm and door lock/unlock system, open the hood, look for an alarm siren behind the aluminum bumper. Should also have a Red LED and sound mic either on the center console portion under your AC/Heat controls, or at the very back of the console between the seats. If you have none of these you most likely don't have a factory alarm installed. I'm not sure if "keyless entry" was offered without an alarm system.

~Mike....
    I have a blinking LED on my dash... and says my car came prewired for a factory alarm, but I do not have remote lock/unlock, or never came with my key...

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, GC Coilover conversion, IE Subframe Bushings, IE RTABs, M roadster sways, M roadster front control arms, M roadster Front calipers/hubs.
    Engine/Driveline: M54B30 intake Manifold, Dinan CAI, ZHP Cams, Headers, Underdrive pulleys, Conforti Software, 3.46 diff.

My Cars
    1997 Z3 Roadster 1.9
    You can call or go to your local BMW dealer and if you give them your vin# they can give you a print out of your cars specific factory sheet of all the original options it came with. As far as those keys you see on ebay for 10 bucks the guy at BMW told me they cannot chip those to your computer but they can be cut to open doors by a good locksmith or keymaker. The keyles entry keys are over 100 dollars I think and the illuminated keys are 65 to 70.

My Cars
    325ci Cabrio
    Ok, here is the scoop on the Keyless entry. Most of the OEM systems were dealer installed so looking at your VIN will most likely yield no results. There are two ways to tell for certain.

1) Open your hood. If you see the factory BMW siren under there, you have the Keyless Entry / Security System.

2) Drop your Glovebox down. If you see the factory BMW module up there (they are clearly marked), you have the Keyless Entry / Security System.

When I bought my 96' it has a red LED on the dash. I dismissed it as an abandoned aftermarket system. While doing some engine bay cleaning, I noticed the OEM siren. I looked-up some information on-line and decided to remove my glovebox and have a look. Sure enough, I had the module! I bought a factory remote on eBay for $35. I looked-up programming instructions here on the forum. I programmed it myself and have had a great keyless system every since!
    -Dusty

05' BMW 325ci, Sapphire Black
    14' Porsche 981, Guards Red
    17' Tesla Model-X, Deep Blue
    81' DeLorean, Stainless Steel

My Cars
    00 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Bimmer View Post
    You can call or go to your local BMW dealer and if you give them your vin# they can give you a print out of your cars specific factory sheet of all the original options it came with.
    Won't help in this situation. With the exception of the 01-02 Z, keyless/alarm was a dealer installed option. It's possible the dealer that sold the car could still have this info, but I'd say it's a longshot given the age of the car.

The only way I'm aware of to know for sure is to pull your glovebox and see if the module is plugged in. I added keyless several years back from United Auto and have been happy with it.

My Cars
    200 BMW Z3 Roadster
    Dusty - What does your remote for the keyless entry look like? Is it built into the key or a separate fob?
    /z

QUOTE=E36ic4Me;22947097]Ok, here is the scoop on the Keyless entry. Most of the OEM systems were dealer installed so looking at your VIN will most likely yield no results. There are two ways to tell for certain.

1) Open your hood. If you see the factory BMW siren under there, you have the Keyless Entry / Security System.

2) Drop your Glovebox down. If you see the factory BMW module up there (they are clearly marked), you have the Keyless Entry / Security System.

When I bought my 96' it has a red LED on the dash. I dismissed it as an abandoned aftermarket system. While doing some engine bay cleaning, I noticed the OEM siren. I looked-up some information on-line and decided to remove my glovebox and have a look. Sure enough, I had the module! I bought a factory remote on eBay for $35. I looked-up programming instructions here on the forum. I programmed it myself and have had a great keyless system every since![/QUOTE]

My Cars
    Z3lda-Crash/burned RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by E36ic4Me View Post
    Ok, here is the scoop on the Keyless entry. Most of the OEM systems were dealer installed so looking at your VIN will most likely yield no results. There are two ways to tell for certain.

When I bought my 96' it has a red LED on the dash. I dismissed it as an abandoned aftermarket system. While doing some engine bay cleaning, I noticed the OEM siren. I looked-up some information on-line and decided to remove my glovebox and have a look. Sure enough, I had the module! I bought a factory remote on eBay for $35. I looked-up programming instructions here on the forum. I programmed it myself and have had a great keyless system every since!
    Would you by any chance have some pictures?
    Z3lda - R.I.P. 7/6/13 crashed and burned, total loss.

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0i Roadster

Find all factory installed options.

Enter the last 7 characters of your VIN at www.bimmer.work .

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    He probably got it sorted over the last four years.

My Cars
    1996 BMW Z3 1.9
    Did your car also had automatic power windows? (I mean, the ones that closes itself when locking your car)

My Cars
    1999 M & 2001 M Roadster
    Is the keyless entry module the same as the E36 M3? Does this thread apply to the Z3 and M roadster?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...s-Alarm-Thread

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Ours use the two button remote system (at least mine is) and I do believe the E36 components will work if you can find one. The remotes are NLA so make sure you get fobs with the controller.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffPortland View Post
    Is the keyless entry module the same as the E36 M3? Does this thread apply to the Z3 and M roadster?

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...s-Alarm-Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    Ours use the two button remote system (at least mine is) and I do believe the E36 components will work if you can find one. The remotes are NLA so make sure you get fobs with the controller.
    Yes, they are the same and you can use that guide. Just make sure you get the 2 button compnents, or the 3 button components. You can not mix and match the receiver, fob, harness, and LED/Mic*. You can see the differences in the pictures. The siren and switches are the same, and your car is probable pre-wired for the switches. Check for the trunk/hood ones.

Some notes for the Z# that differ from the other E36, as well as tips.

- There were no factory installed alarms in the Z3, except maybe 01-02 with keyless. Everything else was dealer-installed.
    - Check to see if you have a module already and maybe the fobs were lost/led removed/not used. It is behind the glove box.
    - If you are not in the US, your car may not be prewired. Only the ones destined for the US were prewired from the factory without having to be ordered as such.
    - The Siren Connection is under the driver's side fuse panel. The Z3 siren had an extension that moved it to behind the driver's side headlight. You can either extend the wires yourself on the siren, try to locate a Z3 one, or find a way to mount it under/near the fuse panel (or leave it out as I did, since I just cared about keyless.)
    - If you have an aftermarket radio and did not remove the sensor behind it, you'll want to. You can just unplug it.
    - 2 button is newer and has fewer items to not work.
    - 3 button refers to any square remote with the ability to have 3 buttons. Some only had one.

I did this on my 1998. It was not hard to do.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    Since everyone keeps contributing to the revival of this old thread I'll throw in my usual one-liner here.

For about $20 you can get a cheap chinese alarm off Amazon with (in my opinion) just as good looking remotes.

About an hour's worth of work and you can have it wired in and boom - you have keyless entry.

Hell ... at that price - buy two of them and you have spare parts.

This may not work if you are doing a concours level back-to-factory-spec restoration, but my car is my fun car and doesn't need that level of detail.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Since everyone keeps contributing to the revival of this old thread I'll throw in my usual one-liner here.

For about $20 you can get a cheap chinese alarm off Amazon with (in my opinion) just as good looking remotes.

About an hour's worth of work and you can have it wired in and boom - you have keyless entry.

Hell ... at that price - buy two of them and you have spare parts.

This may not work if you are doing a concours level back-to-factory-spec restoration, but my car is my fun car and doesn't need that level of detail.
    Agreed. They are cheap and work well. I've installed them on 3 E36 BMWs, (Z3, 325I, M Roadster), and they all worked without a hitch. One problem, that I learned here: they do not "double lock" the doors, which means that anyone can unlock the doors if they get access to the inside of the car.

My Cars
    -
    You can make aftermarket modules do double locking: http://www.understeer.com/doublelock.shtml

I used a smaller diode (1N4001 or something like that) and it's been working fine like that for a couple of months now.

My Cars
    X5 328i 325iT Z3
    Our 1999 Z3 has all of the components, and the previous owner said it worked in the past. One remote makes the siren chirp, but nothing more. I have had no success programming the remotes that came with it. Thoughts?

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by runnr548 View Post
    Our 1999 Z3 has all of the components, and the previous owner said it worked in the past. One remote makes the siren chirp, but nothing more. I have had no success programming the remotes that came with it. Thoughts?
    If you have the original 3 button Key(s) did you follow this procedure?

1) Insert key into the ignition and turn it to the first position, where the drivers info center turns on and a few dummy lights, turn it back off within 5 seconds.
    2) Pull the key out of ignition
    3) Press and hold the unlock button, then push the BMW roundel (lock button) 3 times, pausing for about 2 seconds in between each press. Release the unlock button. The doorlocks should now cycle between lock and unlock. Now your key is programmed to your car.
    4) Re-insert the key into the ignition, turn forward to position 1 and back off within 5 seconds to End programming.

Do all of this within 30 seconds.

In order to re-program multiple keys, grab your 2nd key after step 3, and do the same thing. It should make the locks cycle again between lock and unlock. re-insert key #1 into the ignition and turn it to position 1 then back off again to end programming.

Hope this helps

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Here’s the instructions for a 2 button remote. I believe the majority of our systems use the 2 button remote. 4312C0E8-7ED9-4524-A3D2-8053E9E85B82.jpeg