Thread: Rear brake/tail light bulb replacement

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL

Rear brake/tail light bulb replacement

Can somebody tell me which bulbs i should get, i need to replace the rear tail light and brake light bulbs... I've been searching for an hour and have not found a definite answer

They are 01 tails in a 98 if it matters...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvinder View Post
    It's not a tractor mate, you can't just keep going up in tire size.

My Cars
    2007 328i, 1987 635CSI,
    The dual element bulbs are 1157's at any auto store. I just replaced mine this past weekend.

Tom in PA

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    I always heard that if you don't stay with Sylvania, it'll throw codes.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by tgmedin View Post
    The dual element bulbs are 1157's at any auto store. I just replaced mine this past weekend.

Tom in PA
    Thanks, i went last week to Advanced and they sent me home with 5007 (really small bulbs) and 7506 dual filaments. The 7506 looked similar to what was in the car, but they bulbs were all mix and matched so i could not tell what should go where.

Tail lights should get 21/5w dual filament bulbs and brake lights are just 21w? Are they both 1157s?

Quote Originally Posted by meteck View Post
    Thanks i read this too, as well as to make sure you get silver vs brass...

My Cars
    540iT, 750iL, Cooper S
    Sorry, this is a go to the dealer item for me. OEM bulbs match the resistance of the rest of the bulbs. This prevents tripping of the bulb out indicator. Not worth messing with.
    99 540iT, Jet Black on Black. Dinan mods ( CAI, MAF, TB, Brace, Stage 4 engine and tranny software ). 00 750iL, Jet Black on Black. MPars, Sport Steering wheel, alpina replica lip. 05 Mini S, Dinan CAI, Strut brace, UUC exhaust.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Anybody who can help out?

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    I've had a "CHECK REAR LIGHTS" message since '08, it's no biggie. That's the price you pay for LED lights.

The brand does not matter, any incandescent 1157 bulb (1156 for the signals and reverse lamps) will work and should not cause an error message on the OBC.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    I've had a "CHECK REAR LIGHTS" message since '08, it's no biggie. That's the price you pay for LED lights.

The brand does not matter, any incandescent 1157 bulb (1156 for the signals and reverse lamps) will work and should not cause an error message on the OBC.
    1157s are for the tail lights AND brake lights? Shouldnt one be single filament and the other dual? ( i forget which was which... if brake light serves as spare tail light if a bulb is out, or vice versa?)

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    There are only two brake light bulbs in the lamp assembly, in the bottom corner. It is the only bulb in the entire assembly that requires two filaments, since it is on when the tail lamps are on, and brightens when the brakes are applied. The rest of the bulbs are 1156's (single-filament).

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If your brake light is on when you turn on the headlights...then something is wrong. I would check to make sure that one of the filaments for the rear tail lights isn't burnt out. See the paragraphs on REPLACEMENT LIGHTING in pic below

The brake lights should only illuminate when you are braking (or have a burnt out tail light if your car has the LCM III)

(the info below ONLY applies if your e38 was built from 9/98-up - LCM III)

As for those with face-lift tail lights...check your owners manual (or download a 99-01 PDF manual found at www.e38.org ) for the bulb index and wattage required for your tail light assemblies. Where I live...every auto parts store has a bulb catalog in the aisle where you can look up the bulb # based on whatever brand of bulbs they sell. I'm sort of flummoxed that some are having issues...unless your part of the country doesn't have the bulb mfg catalog in the stores that tell you what their bulb nbr is used for your application.

Perhaps if you go on line to the website of the bulb mfg...you can find a bulb nbr index. Or you can take the info from the owners manual PLUS the bulb into the store and find the 5w, 21w, and/or 21/5w bulbs that have the correct "nibs" on the base to fit your bulb holders.

(bulb index from my 97 owners manual)
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-21-2011 at 02:27 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Sorry you're right, it should just be the two tail lamb bulbs that are on when the switch is on. I haven seen my car in 7 months, so my memory is a little foggy.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by meteck View Post
    don t tell me you believe that..............

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/ and input your car and it tells you which bulb types go where

conversely, go to an auto parts place and ask the attendant to help you replace a bulb...........not only can they look up bulbs there, they'll be able to help you replace them then and there........aside from the front corner (screwdriver) and sidemarker (flathead screwdriver or trim pulling tool) bulbs, only your hands are needed to replace light bulbs on these cars

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    HINT: if for some reason you find that your 5w (single filament) or 21/5w (dual filament) bulb has the incorrect nib offset on the base...as long as the wattage is correct...you can file off the offending "nib". The bulb will remain secure in the bulb holder as long as it has ONE of the nibs line up. Since the bulbs have to be "pressed" and given a 1/4 turn in the bulb holder...that one remaining nib will hold the bulb secure.

-
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    yes, I have cars
    Quote Originally Posted by noodlesandsam View Post
    Sorry, this is a go to the dealer item for me. OEM bulbs match the resistance of the rest of the bulbs. This prevents tripping of the bulb out indicator. Not worth messing with.
    Pffft.

No such thing as OEM bulbs.

Bad advice.
    Randy V.
    San Diego, CA
    '98 740iL (Black/Tan/NAV-TV & all the gadgets)

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy V View Post
    Pffft.

No such thing as OEM bulbs.

Bad advice.
    Anything can be OEM in a special baggy with a 200% markup

So the 4 tail bulbs are just straight 5W, and the 2 brake lights are 21/5s? Do i have this correct please? My local advance doesnt have the book anymore, just a smuck at the counter...who sent me home with the wrong stuff last time...
    Last edited by Gendy; 10-21-2011 at 06:11 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    ...So the 4 tail bulbs are just straight 5W, and the 2 brake lights are 21/5s? Do i have this correct please? ...
    Did you click on the link given in post #12? Its a direct link to Sylvania's website where you can look up the bulbs for your car's "upgraded" rear tail lights. Input info for a 2001 e38.

Do you have another auto parts store in your area...perhaps a NAPA, AutoZone, O'Reillys? You may even get lucky at Walmart, Target, or Kmart.

Again, if you can find bulbs that match the base & wattage (see my post above with pics of the 1156/1157 bulbs)...you can even modify the nibs on the base if they have the wrong offset.

Below, you can see the page from my e39's owners manual...the same wattage applies...5w and 21w for the rear tail lights:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-21-2011 at 10:04 PM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post
    don t tell me you believe that.............
    I do. And Ive seen it.

Anything else?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1996 740iL

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Q...I have always used the Sylvania LL bulbs and coated the connector with bulb grease. The Firebird had a bad habit of blowing the front corner light, until I went with the LL bulbs and the grease. Knowing BMW likes to do things differently, is there any issue with the LL bulbs and using bulb grease? I am about to get a complete of spare bulbs other than the high beams. Do you know of any issues with the Long Life bulbs? I use the bulb grease to keep corrosion away and it seems to aid in cooling of the bulb at the connection to the socket.
    Jack
    Be Kind To The Elderly. Life Without Parole Means Nothing To Us.

Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by SirReal63 View Post
    Q... is there any issue with the LL bulbs and using bulb grease? I am about to get a complete of spare bulbs other than the high beams. Do you know of any issues with the Long Life bulbs? I use the bulb grease to keep corrosion away and it seems to aid in cooling of the bulb at the connection to the socket.
    SirReal, I would think not (no issue). Especially since BMW offers a regular bulb & a LL bulb...it's the buyers choice. And I have nothing bad to say about applyling "bulb grease" (I assume this is actually dielectric grease) on the base of the bulbs as this will prevent the seizing of the bulbs to the bulb holder at best.

Check it out at the link below (for the face lift rear tail light assembly)...bulb #6 (21/5w bulb) & #7 (21w bulb) both have a regular & LL BMW part nbr:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Ok, good. Yes it is dielectric grease, on the Firebird the two worst bulbs were the nose ones, had to dissemble the front wend to change, after the third time I went with the grease and the LL bulbs, that was in 2005, haven't changed them since. I was hoping the LL bulbs were a correct fit, as I plan on having replacements on board.

Thanks for the confirmation.
    Jack
    Be Kind To The Elderly. Life Without Parole Means Nothing To Us.

Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."

My Cars
    1998 BMW 740iL
    I made it to a couple other car stores today, most only sold bulbs with the brass base. Then i went to a pepboys, and they had the silvania LL silver based bulbs as well as the small computer lookup unit. I looked at the 1156/7s and i noticed they were rated at higher watts, ex: 8w and 27/8w...and i know based on the diagrams, that some of you so greatly helped out by posting, i needed 5/21ws.

I looked up what I needed and sure enough, for both the 98 and the 01, they recommended 7506 (21w) for the brake lights and 5007 (5w) for the tail lights. So i stand corrected! Funny thing is though, the 5007 are the same base size, but the glass portion is about half the size. That is not what the car had it in previously, and that's why i was thrown off after my first purchase...but they seem to be working.

I got 4 5007 bulbs, and 2 7506s and i'm back in business!

meteck is offline Houston CCA Houston 7ers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    1997 BMW 740iL, 2011 528
    I just went to wally world when mine burned out. They carried Sylvania and I used it without problem.

Totally stock 97 740iL except for SatRad