Thread: can salvaged air bag control module be swapped for failed unit in 97, 528i

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i

can salvaged air bag control module be swapped for failed unit in 97, 528i

Can a salvaged airbag control module be used as a replacement in a 1997 528i build date 6/96 with side air bags. I'm told that later models were programmed for the specific car and are not interchangeable. How difficult is this to get at. I'm told it's under the console about even with the cup holders. Any suggestions for replacement source would be helpful. Thank you, fmac

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    We can't say yes or no as to the "salvaged" air bag you're looking at because you don't say what model year/build date it's coming from.

BMW had a 1999 model year "mid-production" split where there are two different air bag systems depending on which month the car was built. If an e39 was built UP THRU 2/99...it has a SINGLE stage air bag system. If an e39 was built FROM 3/99-up it has a DUAL stage air bag system.

I would suggest looking up the 11 digit BMW part nbr for the module using your car's VIN (the last 7 digits) on one of the major online part databases...then using that 11 digit BMW part nbr in a google search (type "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" where "x" equals the 11 digit BMW part nbr). You'll probably find someone selling it...and you'll have a better chance of getting the correct module for your car's build date.

I just looked up the module (#1 in the diagram below & in the part nbr index at the embedded link) for my 4/99 build date e39 and it does indicate that the modules need coding...it has a specific part nbrs based on specific build dates...and if the car is equipped with side airbags...so shop wisely:

Here are links to 3 of the major online part databases (feel free to SAVE or BOOKMARK them for future references) that you can use to help find parts specific to your car:
    1. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
    2. http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/
    3. http://www.bmwmobiletradition-online.com/bmw
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-15-2011 at 07:15 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Thanks Qsilver,The car is a 1997 BMW 528i with a build date of 6/96 I'm getting conficting info hope you can help. When I went to dealer they said couldn't read anything no cades etc coming from air bag controller. They wanted to diagnose etc. if new module needed over $1000. Ebay salvage I can get for as little $50.00. (then $125dealer coding) Started taking console apart from the back forward and found a sensor unit(PN# 65.77-8369023 [MRSZ13176801] ) below the vent in the console that blows into the back seat. Ebay salvage company says thats the brain dealer parts guy says thats the sensor for the passenger seat. Having trust issues with dealer about now. Do you know where the air bag controller is located? If I remove and replace this do I have to disconnect the battery terminals? I'm thinking that this may be my cheapest troubleshooting option. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks for your speedy reply last time. I've just gotten achance to start working this problem again.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    BTW...I'm answering your questions in a vacuum...you have never stated what's wrong with your car and how you came to be looking for an airbag control unit. In your last post, you mention that the dealership did some type of check and didn't get any fault codes. Why? The SRS (supplemental restraint system) requires specific equipment to diagnose or read any fault codes...and it sounds like you rejected their offer. But yet you're still looking to replace the control module...but again, you've never explained why? (just curious...because I don't want to lead you down a path to spend money on a component that won't change anything about your situation)

Since you have the 11 digit (numerical) BMW part nbr for the item you found (65 77 8 369 023)...all you need to do is look up that part in one of the 3 websites I posted previously.

If someone is not being truthful about the part...you'd know right away because you'd already know what the part is.

So highlight and copy the BMW number (bolded above)...then go to this site and paste the 11 digit BMW part nbr into the box next to the RED text that says Part Nbr Application Search: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do

Click the links that will take you to the diagram & part nbrs for you model BMW...look at the part nbr index that is BELOW the illustrated diagram...and it will tell you what the part is. If it says it's for seat occupancy or for the co-driver...then it would be for the passenger seat. The driver's seat doesn't have an occupancy sensor...since it's a given that if the car is being driven, there will always be someone in that seat.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-25-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Q, have done all that. Let me start from beginning. Took to local garage for a ball joint, ABS and traction control lights on were also on. They didn't know if their scan tool would work. I'd had this diagnosed by dealer as right front wheel sensor but that was 6 months before this and the lights were intermittent (usually after snow, slush or washing.) then started staying on all the time. They changed out the ball joint and supposedly the left wheel sensor After I left the air bag light stayed on for a few minutes then went out. About 10 minutes later came back on and stayed on. Brought to BMW they told me they couldn't get any readings from the air bag controller or ABS but that the engine sensors appeared to be working, so they couldn't diagnose what was causing the light to stay on. Replacing the control unit with a salvaged unit and recoding seemed like the cheapest trouble shoot.

My Cars
    Turbo E39/06 525i
    I should still have a complete airbag system for a 98/528i. let me know if you need parts.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Thank you for the offer on the complete air bag system Boosted, I hope it doesn't come to that. And thanks for your input Qsilver. I'm going to start with replacing the Air bag controller unit PN 65.77-8369023 that I just picked up on Ebay for $50+14 shipping. I may have to have this programmed ..I'm not sure if this is required or not in 1997. If so that'll be another $125 at dealer. I'm also replacing the right front wheel speed sensor #34521182159. New cheapo from Ebay $19 plus ship (hope it works). Part didn't come with new screws (needed 2 of PN# 07119900190) so I'm going to try to pick up stainless steel m6X20 in any of the different pitch sizes in the hope that one will fit. [Does anyone happen to know the thread pitch on these types of screws?] Not trying to be cheap but don't want to throw lots of money in, if this isn't the problem. Open to suggestions from anyone. Please feel free to comment. All of this is new to me. This just seems like the cheapest trouble shooting I can do.

Qsilver, I see that I didn't answer your question completely from post #4 on 10/25. I brought it to the dealer and they plugged into do the diagnostic but couldn't get any codes or readings. The air bag light was on but nothing was showing up on the Their diagnostic equipment. The next step for them was to disassemble the console check the air bag control unit connections and replace if necessary. Guestimate was 3hours and about $500 for controller then program if thats what the problem turned out to be. Why the diagnostic system isn't talking to the on board systems is a mystery to me. Possibly the small shop near my home that worked on it first burned something out (fuses were checked).I'm hoping it wasn't the entire on board diagnostic system. I don't even know what's involved with that or if that's possible. Just ordered a Bentley's BMW two volume set hoping to get some education. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fmac
    Last edited by fmac; 10-29-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    e34, e39
    continuing this thread...

does anybody know where the main control module is?

my local indy just diagnosed mine as being bad. i'd like to check the connections before replacing. i'm also looking for a good used module locally, but if it has to be coded i might just have the shop replace it with a new one and code it properly.

thanks!
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgearhead View Post
    continuing this thread...

does anybody know where the main control module is?

my local indy just diagnosed mine as being bad. i'd like to check the connections before replacing. i'm also looking for a good used module locally, but if it has to be coded i might just have the shop replace it with a new one and code it properly.

thanks!
    Here's the instructions from the online TIS: http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/06/84/63

My Cars
    e34, e39
    Thanks Q. The quote for a new module, with installation and coding was $800.

I think I've found a used one locally that I can buy and have coded for $300, so I'm going to try that route first.

I wish I had my GT1 laptop set up, but but for some reason my daughter would prefer that I hold and feed her instead of working on it.
    No current BMWs.
    1994 Roadmaster Wagon
    1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    I have the same problem with fault code "airbag driver, airbag module"
    and its a temic according to diagnostics software.
    Did it work wit a used from ebay did you need to code it in?
    Where is it located in the steering wheel or underneath the console between the seats?

How did you solve the problem?
    My car wont pass inspection with faulty airbag.
    The light must come on and then turn of it can't be instant on.
    Last edited by andy78; 02-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by andy78 View Post
    I have the same problem with fault code "airbag module faulty" on driver side.
    and its a temic according to diagnostics software.
    Did it work wit a used from ebay did you need to code it in?
    Where is it located in the steering wheel or underneath the console between the seats?

How did you solve the problem?
    My car wont pass inspection with faulty airbag.
    The light must come on and then turn of it can't be instant on.
    What did you use to read the error codes? What was the error code exactly? Usually it's the control module not the air bag that is faulty. Temic? If you change the control module you need to code it. NCS expert will code the new module in under 60 seconds.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    The code was read with carsoft.
    Temic is the brand of the module
    01 is the fault code.

airbag BAE (Driver and passenger airbag.)

Part Nr 6 900 727
    Hardware Nr 3
    Software Nr 5
    Diagnose index 8
    Release date 40/99
    Supplier Temic
    Code index 4

01 Airbag Fahrer / E36 und vor Mod 2000 : airbag steuergerät.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by andy78 View Post
    The code was read with carsoft.
    Temic is the brand of the module
    01 is the fault code.

airbag BAE (Driver and passenger airbag.)

Part Nr 6 900 727
    Hardware Nr 3
    Software Nr 5
    Diagnose index 8
    Release date 40/99
    Supplier Temic
    Code index 4

So you meant the manufacturer of the module.. Well it could be just simple connection problem in the wiring. The error codes that carsoft gives can be quite vague as can be seen here.. If someone has experience diagnosing airbag errors with carsoft maybe he could tell you what the problem is.. All I can do is to tell you to get the codes pulled with some other code reader that will pinpoint the problem. I use INPA and it will give you clear codes telling you the exact problem. So I can see few options here:

- Buy INPA
    - Find BMW enthusiast that has INPA and ask him to read the codes
    - Google around to find the solution
    - Take it to shop that has adaquate code reader
    - Start changing parts at random

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    I don't really understand what you mean by clear code from inpa.
    Isn't carsoft codes clear enough?
    But of course a different diangostics software might tell you something else but it never 100 % sure.

I pasted the clear code from carsoft.

Module faulty in german.
    The thing is its not that common with fault airbag module and i have never heard anyone that needed to replace it.

A lot of threads claim that it could be the ignition switch especally when you have varnings on the dash about lights and transmission , and flickering stereo.
    A have a varning about broken taillight even do its not broken and saw a flickering stereo the other day.

Also have a CAN buss error on the abs module ( it was repaired two years ago ) so i don't think its the same problem again.

Everything goes true this switch so i picket one up from bmw yesterday for the cost f 101 $ and going to replace it this weekend.

Im going to start with cleaning it with oxide clean if i see a difference after that i then know that its the cause of the problem and can replace it.

I read about inpa and might try to find the interface on ebay from Germany.
    Last edited by andy78; 03-09-2012 at 05:24 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 528 E39
    I went for replacement of the ignition switch right away, ill keep you updated.

Ok this did not solve my problem but it takes longer time before the light illuminates onthe dash.
    Last edited by andy78; 03-20-2012 at 05:31 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 740i
    Hi Splitforce (or anyone willing/able to help),

My E38 likely needs a new airbag control module (after trying to clear/disable using DIS, INPA, NCS Expert), can you please advise how to recode the new ECU in NCS Expert?

Here's a quick synopsis on how I came to this conclusion:

DIS: Unable to clear the following codes: (03 MRS) Power Supply - Under Voltage / (01MRS) Internal Control Unit Fault Currently Not Present / (06MRS) Belt Tensioner Resistance Too High / (18MRS) Seat Occupancy Open Circuit.

INPA: Receive a [ERROR_ECU_REJECTED] error when trying to clear the following codes: (24) Seat Occupancy / (6) Ignition Circuit Passenger Seat Tensioner / (1) Internal Control Equipement Fault / (3) Supply Voltage.

NCS Expert: when trying to disable Seat Mat and Belt Tensioner, I can read the ECU but when I "excecute job", I get "coapi-2020 ecu does not answer: No response from cntrol unit"

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!