Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where should I go for my internships?

My Cars
    WagonR
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ1998BMWM3 View Post
    I go to my local community college for automotive technology and I'm almost done with my degree. I need to complete this semester, take auto electronics 2 next semester, and complete my interns. I was wondering what type of garage I should try to get into for my interns. I like to work on foreign cars like subaru, bmw, etc. I hate working on dodge, ford, or anything like that. I don't own many tools though. I have a small carry tool box and some air tools but thats about it.

On a different topic, maybe im not sure if I'm cut out for this line of work. Everytime I work on my car I end up screwing something up. I understand it may be due to my limited work space and tools. I usually have to make shift with what I have and sometimes things get banged up and arent perfect. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and impatient at the same time. If something isn't fixed perfectly or it gets slightly damaged I bothers the crap out of me to the point I will buy completely new parts and redo the job perfectly. I also want to get things done fairly quick so I do what I have to do to get the job done. Like for instance, I'm working on refreshing the rear suspension on my M3. I was trying to figure out a way to get the (rear of rear) subframe bushings pressed out. The front (front of rear sub frame) bushings pressed right out. But the rears wouldn't budge. So I decided to drill them out like I've read on the forum. I've never dealt with a bushing like this before so I had no idea where to drill. I was using my air drill (which only has forward capabilites).I started by trying to remove rubber from the middle of the bushing but my bits either kept getting jamed up or broken. Then I notice there was a thin layer of aluminum that was on the outer wall the bushing. I decided to drill through it. I managed to drill through the bushings aluminum casing and remove the bushing but in the process I removed some of the sub frame. I couldn't tell how close I was to the wall of the sub frame while I was drilling through the bushing. After removal I noticed I took off a good amount of sub frame material. I would say about 30% of it straight down the inside wall. These types of mistakes make me think I won't be a good tech.

What do you guys think? Maybe I need more training or maybe this type of work just isn't for me.
    really i don't have any information about the internship. that's why i can't share any information....

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2000 Impreza RS
    My subaru needs a mid pipe. I havent started the interns yet but the paperwork is all set. Would it be bad to ask for the dealer discount?

First car:Avus1993 325is Second car:Titan.Silver 1998M3 Current car:Cosmos 1999M3

nickdrivesm3 is offline <---Retired from that BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs
    Don't *uck up the landing. Do it after you're hired.

- Nick: Pacific Region Vice-President for BMW CCA
    San Diego BMW CCA Past President
    Join the BMW Car Club of America!!!

My Cars
    '09 M5 & '06 X5 4.8is
    OEM midpipe? Pshh...time to upgrade.

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2000 Impreza RS
    Quote Originally Posted by kellie View Post
    OEM midpipe? Pshh...time to upgrade.
    Ok send me one for $80 cuz thats what i can get a pipe for. Cant afford more its my dd anyway

First car:Avus1993 325is Second car:Titan.Silver 1998M3 Current car:Cosmos 1999M3

My Cars
    '95 BMW M3,'87 BMW 325is
    i dont know about any of you, but i work in a volkswagon dealership, and there is NO refusing work, sure certain people get jobs that there particularly good at, but everyone does alittle bit of everything, back breaking work? grow a pair, maybe hit the gym alittle if your so frail and fragile that you cant to a damn tire rotation, wrenching, most of the time, is much more enjoyable than electrical problems, no such thing as electric gravy work
    1995 Avus M3-Shrick Cams, Conforti Intake, Turner Chip, Bosch 24lb Injectors, Bilstein Struts, Eisenmann SS Muffler, Zionsville Radiator,
    Stewart Water Pump

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12