Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW Scanner 1.4.0 DIY Read error messages/code car options

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 DIY Read error messages/code car options

I posted this in the e46 section but figured I would do one here too since it's relevant to many other models

DISCLAIMER Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong. You can damage your car if you are not careful, you have been warned. ALSO BE SURE TO SAVE YOUR OLD CODING BEFORE DOING NEW CODING!

Having said that, here we go.

What you need.

A laptop or very accessible computer (to reach the car) running windows XP (you can use VM ware to run a virtual version of XP Like I did since I run windows 7 64 bit on my laptop)
    Soldering iron
    Solder
    BMW Scanner 1.4.0 plus software (link below)

I recently purchased the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 online at a huge steal. The real deal scanners can cost several hundreds to several thousand dollars, but there are a few companies that make knock offs that work just the same.... Sort of.

What does the scanner do exactly? It allows you to read and erase error messages. When your check engine light goes off codes are stored in the cars computer, this will allow you to read the actual errors (not just code numbers that you need to look up) and even erase them. The scanner will also code features in your car i.e. one touch window roll down and up with the use of the key, no more day time running lights, or reactivate them, flashing lights when you lock/unlock the car, even tell the car that you now have HID's and also deactivate some of the OBC (on board computer) checks if you run LED lights and dont want error messages etc...

Please note, in order to do the recoding you will have to have access to a soldering iron to connect two leads, I found this out the hard way, now you know so you can do this quicker and easier than me.

Where to buy the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 here.

Now once you buy it you can already read and clear basic error messages, if you want to do coding you will need a small (very small) phillips head screw driver, soldering iron and solder.

Remove the 4 screws and open up the OBD scanner to reveal the circuit board.

Turn it upside down (red and green LED lights are now facing down and locate pins 7 and 8 as shown here

Solder them together as so. Please note, that I have never soldered in my life, this was the first time and I was successful so don't be afraid, just take it slow.

Once cool put it back together.

Run the software disc that comes with it (must be used with windows XP or older) Unzip the installer tool

Run the installer program and save it to your desk top.

Plug in the scanner using the provided USB cable into your computer

Your computer will recognize new hardware and search for drivers, it will not find any.

On your computer go to My computer then to the C drive then click on the folder marked BMW Scanner. Inside will be a folder marked drivers with a PDF telling you how to install them.

Once that is done you are ready to rock. Open the file on your desk top and it should say that the drivers are installed and give you the option to continue (dont click it continue yet).

Under the dash on the driver side is the access port. Open the latch and plug the scanner in.

Turn your car key to position 1

Click continue, it will tell you to turn the key (you already did that, no need to go past position 1) then press continue, click continue.

It will do a quick scan then it will tell you what car you drive and every single option that came with the car (neat huh?).

Next you will be greeted by this screen.

On the left click scan, it will run through every diagnostic and report back all errors. NOTE, it will not be able to connect to every singe one listed on all 3 pages, I have no idea why. But honestly I dont need to access them all so I didnt care.

Once it is done scanning it will tell you of any and all errors that have been stored. Double click on the line with the errors and it will let you access that section to see what is wrong and even erase the errors if they no longer exist.

Now, to change your features.

Double click on the ZKE line and a new window will pop up.

On the left will be a button marked coding. Click that, then click recoding. The window will change to another that will give you access to windows roll up and down, auto door locks and all sorts of other features.

Once you have selected what you want to enable and disable click WRITE on the lower right.

It works the same for any of the lines you double click in the main window, as long as the scanner can access them you can check them out and change certain features. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT, YOU CAN CAUSE DAMAGE.

Having said all that, was it worth the money and the wait? Hell yes it was. I can now use the remote to close all my windows (a feature not available in the usa), I disabled my sunroof from opening with the one touch feature but will still close, my doors no longer auto lock at 5mph, however they will auto lock if I unlock the doors but never open them after 2 min, and when I install HID's into my car I can now program the LCM (Light control module) to tell it I have HID's and not get error messages and if I want the Bi-xenon feature it will activate that as well.

So there you have it, again DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, DON'T CRY TO ME IF YOU BREAK YOUR CAR.

I am still learning this system my self (PaSoft) so I am not sure if I can answer every question but I will do my best, my advice, research it using google and learn like I am
    Last edited by spoonerDee; 05-23-2012 at 08:11 AM.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Wait Wait Wait. Are you saying that by simply soldering the two pins, you were able to get all of those features window to show up without doing anything else?

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    The reason you have to solder the two points is because with out that connection it cannot read/connect with any of the other diagnostic points, I don't know why.

If you look at the screen with the errors on it only the top two ( DDE, EGS)will connect. When you bridge the points by soldering them it allows you to make the connection with about 80% of the others listed.

From there if it allows, you can code (program your ECU) for different options.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Hmmm, I have the exact same kit you linked to and with the additional connector that goes under the hood, I can connect to almost all the modules listed. But I don't think I have that additional recoding menu on the ZKE. I'll have to check tonight.

Actually it looks like I do have those menus. So basically you can either get the 20 pin adapter or do the trick posted here.
    Last edited by Vipsa; 10-14-2011 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    For older models e36 for example there is the round scanner adapter that you can buy in the second link to connect to the car like you mentioned so that you can expand the range of model years that you can work on.

Forgot to mention that.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci (6 speed)
    Hey, do you know if this scanner can code an adaptive headlight unit to the car? I'm replacing mine with a used one, so I believe since it's not new it doesn't need to be programmed then coded, just coded. Would this do it? Or do I need to purchase one of those diagnostic cords and start messing with NCS Expert (which I'm a bit intimidated by b/c I don't have a background in programming computers and don't want to mess this car up)? Thanks.
    Last edited by invictvs; 12-03-2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: grammar nazi

My Cars
    08 M6, 85 M635 Euro
    my bmw scanner worked to recode functions out of the box with no modifications and im able to access all of those submenus. maybe you have a different scanner module? Mine has a picture of a E39 bmw on it.
    Vickumar

E63 M6/F10 535i xDrive/E24 M635/E46 SC 328Ci/Gen2 Viper GTS

My Dummies Guide to Basic coding and understanding NCS Expert

Coming soon... Dummies Guide to using NCS Dummy to translate/code your ride!

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by invictvs View Post
    Hey, do you know if this scanner can code an adaptive headlight unit to the car? I'm replacing mine with a used one, so I believe since it's not new it doesn't need to be programmed then coded, just coded. Would this do it? Or do I need to purchase one of those diagnostic cords and start messing with NCS Expert (which I'm a bit intimidated by b/c I don't have a background in programming computers and don't want to mess this car up)? Thanks.
    There are options to activate adaptive headlights (self leveling turning etc).

Quote Originally Posted by vickumar View Post
    my bmw scanner worked to recode functions out of the box with no modifications and im able to access all of those submenus. maybe you have a different scanner module? Mine has a picture of a E39 bmw on it.
    It seems to be hit or miss, some have to solder the connection some don't.
    Last edited by spoonerDee; 12-12-2011 at 04:26 PM.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 330 xi
    good DYI, thanks

My Cars
    M3's, CTS-V
    Awesome!

My Cars
    bmw 750il, MB 230GE

BMW Scanner 1.4.0

I just got my 68 dollar Scanner, installed the newest software and driver, opened the box to solder the jumper and discovered it was already done. Reading error codes straight away and will try to check the programming features over Xmas. Great so far.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)

My Cars
    BMW E46 328I, 1999
    is this work with Euro spec?
    With this software, can I program the side mirror to move down automatically when go reverse?
    Thanks.

Can this work with carsoft cable?
    Last edited by Maxi; 12-28-2011 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    BMW e46 328i, Deep Blue.

My Cars
    2004 M3 Coupe TiAg
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerc View Post
    I just got my 68 dollar Scanner, installed the newest software and driver, opened the box to solder the jumper and discovered it was already done. Reading error codes straight away and will try to check the programming features over Xmas. Great so far.
    When you said "installed the newest software and driver", did you mean the software that came with the device or the one you downloaded from PA Soft?

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
    is this work with Euro spec?
    With this software, can I program the side mirror to move down automatically when go reverse?
    Thanks.

Can this work with carsoft cable?
    It should, it gives me options to activate euro only options so I don't see why you can't use it on a Euro spec car.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Good post. I appreciate it! Thanks for guiding

My Cars
    99 323i, 99.5 a4, 76 c10
    will this allow you to disable monitoring of the post cat o2 sensors?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by stockgp View Post
    will this allow you to disable monitoring of the post cat o2 sensors?
    No. Need to reflash the DME for that.

Also, I just want to say that while PASoft does have some useful functions, most people would be better off with NCS Expert. More functions, and much easier to fix an issue if a mistake is made. I have both, and I'd say I use NCS Expert (and the various other BMW tools) about 10x as much

My Cars
    99 323i, 99.5 a4, 76 c10
    Are there modules like this out there with this function?

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by stockgp View Post
    Are there modules like this out there with this function?
    Have to do it through DIS v44, SSS, or WinKFP. So you'd need to get an ediabas interface and do all the setup to get it to work properly. There are no "plug and play" solutions out there (except maybe Autologic, but you'd pay $10k+ for that)

My Cars
    BMW 525iT, 530d
    Hi, is there any way to increase idle speed with this software? (pa soft)

My Cars
    My board is very different to the one OP posted.

will post pics tomorrow.

mine wont find/read the abs either .

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by monag View Post
    Hi, is there any way to increase idle speed with this software? (pa soft)
    I don't believe so, I could be wrong, its not something I have or would have messed with.

Why on earth do you want to increase your idle speed?

My Cars
    BMW 525iT, 530d
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerDee View Post
    I don't believe so, I could be wrong, its not something I have or would have messed with.

Why on earth do you want to increase your idle speed?
    My car tends to stall when comming to a stop and I get a hard downshift (auto tranny). This only happens with A/C off. It seeems to be idling too low. I have read that if the idle speed is increased by about 100 rpm, it may solve my problem.
    I have done the usual vac leak, maf sensor, etc checks.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    What's your idle? I remember I once cleared the adaptations on someone's 325, and his idle went up from 550 to 750

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast