Thread: BMW Scanner 1.4.0 write up/review

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)

BMW Scanner 1.4.0 write up/review

DISCLAIMER Do this at your own risk, I am not responsible for anything that goes wrong. You can damage your car if you are not careful, you have been warned. ALSO BE SURE TO SAVE THE OLD CODING BEFORE PUTTING IN NEW CODING!

Having said that, here we go.

What you need.

A laptop or very accessible computer (to reach the car) running windows XP (you can use VM ware to run a virtual version of XP Like I did since I run windows 7 64 bit on my laptop)
    Soldering iron
    Solder
    BMW Scanner 1.4.0 plus software (link below)

I recently purchased the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 online at a huge steal. The real deal scanners can cost several hundreds to several thousand dollars, but there are a few companies that make knock offs that work just the same.... Sort of.

What does the scanner do exactly? It allows you to read and erase error messages. When your check engine light goes off codes are stored in the cars computer, this will allow you to read the actual errors (not just code numbers that you need to look up) and even erase them. The scanner will also code features in your car i.e. one touch window roll down and up with the use of the key, no more day time running lights, or reactivate them, flashing lights when you lock/unlock the car, even tell the car that you now have HID's and also deactivate some of the OBC (on board computer) checks if you run LED lights and dont want error messages etc...

Please note, in order to do the recoding you will have to have access to a soldering iron to connect two leads, I found this out the hard way, now you know so you can do this quicker and easier than me.

Where to buy the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 I bought mine from here, it was the cheapest I found it with free shipping from China. Be warned that it will take aprox 2 1/2 weeks to arrive since it needs to clear customs.

If you want it faster and don't mind spending more you can buy it here.

Now once you buy it you can already read and clear basic error messages, if you want to do coding you will need a small (very small) phillips head screw driver, soldering iron and solder.

Remove the 4 screws and open up the OBD scanner to reveal the circuit board.

Turn it upside down (red and green LED lights are now facing down and locate pins 7 and 8 as shown here

Solder them together as so. Please note, that I have never soldered in my life, this was the first time and I was successful so don't be afraid, just take it slow.

Once cool put it back together.

Run the software disc that comes with it (must be used with windows XP or older) Unzip the installer tool

Run the installer program and save it to your desk top.

Plug in the scanner using the provided USB cable into your computer

Your computer will recognize new hardware and search for drivers, it will not find any.

On your computer go to My computer then to the C drive then click on the folder marked BMW Scanner. Inside will be a folder marked drivers with a PDF telling you how to install them.

Once that is done you are ready to rock. Open the file on your desk top and it should say that the drivers are installed and give you the option to continue (dont click it continue yet).

Under the dash on the driver side is the access port. Open the latch and plug the scanner in.

Turn your car key to position 1

Click continue, it will tell you to turn the key (you already did that, no need to go past position 1) then press continue, click continue.

It will do a quick scan then it will tell you what car you drive and every single option that came with the car (neat huh?).

Next you will be greeted by this screen.

On the left click scan, it will run through every diagnostic and report back all errors. NOTE, it will not be able to connect to every singe one listed on all 3 pages, I have no idea why. But honestly I dont need to access them all so I didnt care.

Once it is done scanning it will tell you of any and all errors that have been stored. Double click on the line with the errors and it will let you access that section to see what is wrong and even erase the errors if they no longer exist.

Now, to change your features.

Double click on the ZKE line and a new window will pop up.

On the left will be a button marked coding. Click that, then click recoding. The window will change to another that will give you access to windows roll up and down, auto door locks and all sorts of other features.

Once you have selected what you want to enable and disable click WRITE on the lower right.

It works the same for any of the lines you double click in the main window, as long as the scanner can access them you can check them out and change certain features. BE CAREFUL NOT TO MESS WITH ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW ABOUT, YOU CAN CAUSE DAMAGE.

Having said all that, was it worth the money and the wait? Hell yes it was. I can now use the remote to close all my windows (a feature not available in the usa), I disabled my sunroof from opening with the one touch feature but will still close, my doors no longer auto lock at 5mph, however they will auto lock if I unlock the doors but never open them after 2 min, and when I install HID's into my car I can now program the LCM (Light control module) to tell it I have HID's and not get error messages and if I want the Bi-xenon feature it will activate that as well.

So there you have it, again DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK, DON'T CRY TO ME IF YOU BREAK YOUR CAR.

I am still learning this system my self (PaSoft) so I am not sure if I can answer every question but I will do my best, my advice, research it using google and learn like I am
    Last edited by spoonerDee; 05-23-2012 at 08:12 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Very cool writeup.

Coming to Houston anytime soon?

I need some coding done lol.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Very cool writeup.

You come to CT..... 5 Bucks

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)

My Cars
    87 325iC, 00 M Roadster
    Very cool. I really want to change a few features on my car and read codes at home.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Very nice, and for fitty bucks it's REALLY tempting.

If you're a novice at soldering, or just incompetent at electrical soldering like I am, might I suggest electrically conductive glue instead:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/b70c/

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
    Very nice, and for fitty bucks it's REALLY tempting.

If you're a novice at soldering, or just incompetent at electrical soldering like I am, might I suggest electrically conductive glue instead:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/b70c/
    Good to know as an alternative.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 328CI E46
    Thank you !

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Very cool writeup.

Should've met me in Killeen yesterday. I would have done it for free.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    For whatever it's worth, I think the EDIABAS suite (INPA, NCS Expert, WinKFP) + DIS is a better setup to have. I have both, and while PASoft can be useful, it's got issues too. Even the legit version isn't the safest tool out there. BMW's software has more indepth diagnostics, better and safer coding (NCS Expert can change the Vehicle Order/Central coding key, and has the ability to reset any module to its default settings without a backup).

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoLF View Post
    Should've met me in Killeen yesterday. I would have done it for free.
    That would have been awesome.

If I remember correctly you were working in louisiana not too long ago.
    Where abouts in Texas do you hail from?

My Cars
    87 325iC, 00 M Roadster
    Thanks spoonerDee. The unit I bought actually came with your soldering connection already made - even better.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by 87iSee View Post
    Thanks spoonerDee. The unit I bought actually came with your soldering connection already made - even better.
    Even better

My Cars
    2000, BMW, 323i, E46
    You own an e46, with stock key fob?

My Cars
    '00 328i, '03 330i ZHP
    Can you use this to cycle the ABS system when flushing brakes?

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    Quote Originally Posted by trentcdrums View Post
    You own an e46, with stock key fob?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by jmsanders78 View Post
    Can you use this to cycle the ABS system when flushing brakes?
    Not sure, never personally had to do anything with the ABS. I will be doing something soon with my car and can look to see what's available. But that might not be for another week or so.

My Cars
    1999 323Ci
    Hey what's the purpose of soldering those wires together? Thanx

My Cars
    2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsfromday View Post
    Hey what's the purpose of soldering those wires together? Thanx
    OBD2 pins 7 and 8 are the K lines. If you don't bridge them, you will not be able to access all of the car's modules.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    I believe I read somewhere that all the modules sold now already have the "modification" done already (as in they are manufactured as such), but don't quote me on that.

My Cars
    2004 325xi,2004 545i SMG
    Has this system been tried on anything newer than a e46 yet?

if it works on e46 then all cars up till 2006 shoud be covered but what about e90?

thanks
    Level 1 Certified BMW tech.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    The e90 needs bmw scanner 2.0 I believe. 1.4.0 will not work any anything newer

http://www.bmw-scanner.com/