Thread: Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBV) fault

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86

Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBV) fault

Hi,

On a 2005 X5 4.4 sports both DIS and INPA report diagnostic fault in Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBV). No warning lights show up in the dash, car performs fine as far as I can feel and there're no other fault codes stored. The EBV fault always come back after being cleared and driving the car for a while.

The interesting thing is that DIS reports that the fault is not relevant to the software version of the EBV control unit, but then recommends to continue troubleshooting in the running-gear control system. I could not find such a system in DIS to verify if this is indeed not really a fault.

Also interesting is that DIS always reports that the model series for which the instrument cluster was coded could not be identified and this can result in false readings. I've re-coded it via Progman but still get same report from DIS.

Now, does the EBV control unit need a software update? I tried to do that via Progman but no such control unit is listed for the car.

Appreciate any ideas on what exactly is the issue here. Or is this by design as probably indicated by the DIS report? Also, is there anyone with an X5 with similar diagnostic reports?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by E39Only; 09-26-2011 at 12:07 AM.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Bump

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Anyone to kindly please try INPA or DIS diagnosis on X5 E53 4.4 sports 2005+ and see if no error reported on Instrument Cluster (EBV error)? Also, if the Instrument Cluster (IKE) is automatically detected in DIS?

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86

Has anyone had the ebv error on X5?

My Cars
    GS430, GSXR600, 318is
    You and I are in the same boat. I keep getting the same error on my 06 4.8is. I can't get rid of it. I must have gone through all the test, even in expert mode, for the cluster. Everything checks out. This stupid message shows up every time.

Any updates on yours?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Does the braking system of your car include a proportioning valve mounted above the rear axle, the purpose of which is to vary brake force distribution according to how your vehicle is loaded? Just a thought, but if you have had suspension work carried out or your springs and/or shocks are shot, the proportioning valve may be sending incorrect brake force distribution info to the ECU. The linkage to these valves is normally adjustable and if this is the case, you should be able to obtain info on the specs and adjustment from TIS.

My Cars
    2001 bmw x5 3.0
    I'm in the same boat with you guy, too. I keep getting the same error on my 01 3.0i. It come out after I clear KOM module. Car performs fine as far as I can feel.
    Should I do something to get rid of it?

My Cars
    E39 M5 840CI 93 850CSI
    Raised from the dead but I cant find any other information regarding this fault after a number of searches, I have an error showing in INPA on my 2003 RHD 4.4 X5 Variant: IKI 0x00BD: EBV Error present Sporadic error. Error Code BD D0 32 has also come up on another test as BD D0 36.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Thanks

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 3.0i
    I have same problem (BMW X5 E53 3.0i RHD). Control module: KOMBI, fault memory entries 0xBD(189): IKE: Electronic braking-force distribution. I can't get rid it.

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbaby View Post
    I have same problem (BMW X5 E53 3.0i RHD). Control module: KOMBI, fault memory entries 0xBD(189): IKE: Electronic braking-force distribution. I can't get rid it.
    Same here. 2001 4.4 Cant get rid of it.

My Cars
    2003 BMW X5 3.0i
    I got rid of the faulty code in KOMBI. Maybe it is caused by faulty of YAW sensor (located underneath driver seat) or speed sensor faulty. I am not sure for that
    There are two options to get rid of it:
    Option 1: Replace a YAW sensor (arround $500 for genuine & brand new ones). I amnot sure it will 100% work after YAW & speed sensor relacement
    Option 2. Cheap fix: Recode KOMBI by using NCS Expert: CAN_EBV set from aktiv to nicht_aktiv. (this option is 100% get rid of faulty code, it worked for me)
    I chose cheap fix. Faulty code (IKE: Electronic braking-force distribution) now is gone.

Refer:
    http://cartechnology.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=13466&pid=140371#pid140371
    Last edited by jasonbaby; 02-21-2016 at 07:29 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 M5, BMW E34 528i
    I don't know, if it is allowed to answer here, because it is a very old content. But I did not find an answer in the comments.

To solve the problem:
    Change CAN_EBV to nicht_activ with NCS Expert in the module: KMB (Kombisintrument / instrument cluster) or if you have higher version IKE.

If the answer is not needed anymore, please delete this post.

Servus
    Hermtm