Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: radio will not turn on

My Cars
    1998 750IL

radio will not turn on

Hello All,
    I have a 1998 528, and the radio will not power on. The clock still works fine, but no radio. All of the fuses have been checked? maybe a problem with the unit in the dash?
    Thanks,
    John

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540I
    Helllo John,

Sounds like we have similar problems, I have a 1998 540i and my radio also won't power on. I fave found out that the radio has it's own fuse and may need to be replace and a second alternative is disconnect battery brown first then red then reconnect red then brown. let me know what u find out.

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Bad amp.

My Cars
    98 m3, 97 528i
    Mine did the same thing occasionally and I never had fm. Anyways, I replaced the radio with an aftermarket and havent had the problem. Since Im using the same power/ground/antenna wires now I pretty sure it was the oem head unit and not wiring or fuses etc.

Wouldnt the radio still turn on without the amp working properly?
    Last edited by JoeH; 09-13-2011 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    Radio will come on with the amp not working, it just won't play any music. I had this problem when I first got my touring. Replaced the amp and she works fine now.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by evertoconquer View Post
    Radio will come on with the amp not working, it just won't play any music. I had this problem when I first got my touring. Replaced the amp and she works fine now.
    +1

Got an amp off ebay for pretty cheap, and it resolved the issue. They are different amps through out the e39 life span

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    thanks for all of the help. The radio has its own fuse, wherevis it located?
    thanks again. I also noticed that the cd changer was also not getting power. the cassette player also powerless.

thanks all. where is the separate radio fuse located? also, the cd changer or cassette player do not power up.
    Last edited by jmindler; 09-14-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    07 Maxima SE
    I can't help you with that. My changer hasn't worked since I've had the car but my casset works. Have you found the fuse guide in the glovebox?

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by jmindler View Post
    thanks for all of the help. The radio has its own fuse, wherevis it located?
    thanks again. I also noticed that the cd changer was also not getting power. the cassette player also powerless.

thanks all. where is the separate radio fuse located? also, the cd changer or cassette player do not power up.

fuse #56 in the rear fusebox (above the battery) is the main fuse for the CD, Amp and radio

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by Rigmaster View Post
    fuse #56 in the rear fusebox (above the battery) is the main fuse for the CD, Amp and radio
    not sure what else I can tell you.

There's no separate fuse, it's in the rear fuse panel, above the battery.

IIRC, it's a 30a fuse (green).

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    Thanks. The fuse is good? Amp maybe?

My Cars
    too many
    That seems to be the next thing to look at.

I had a bad amp in my 2000 528iT when I first bought it, I replaced it with an amp out of an E36 M3 that had the same connections and it works fine. I know there are some differences in amps throughout the years, but I think as long as the plugs are the same, you should be fine.

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    Thanks again. Will look on ebay

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    There is a fuse behind the radio itself isn't there? I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure there is one. Take the radio out and see.

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    thanks all. I took the radio out. no fuse. is there a central module or amp that the cassette player radio and cd changer plug into? all three units are not powering up.
    Does anyone have a schematic for this circuit?
    Could there be a fuse that I am missing?
    thanks again.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Did you take the radio out or the MID out?

There are several modules to the radio.

MID- Multi-Informational Display. The long LCD with all the buttons and crap.
    Head Unit- The actual place you put the CD/Tape
    CD-Changer- Unit in the trunk that stores/plays CDs.
    Amp- Well. It's an amp.

The Head Unit is the actual piece that controls everything without this the MID will only show the time and nothing else. If your radio is not turning on, more than likely their is something wrong with this. Do you have a Tape player or a CD Player for a head unit? Are you sure there isn't a fuse behind it? I could have sworn that their was a small 5amp fuse on the CD Players. I have no idea with the tape players.

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    thanks. I took the MID out. The only thing that is working on the MID is the clock.
    I will pull the tape player out tomorrow and look.
    How does the tape player come out?
    thanks again.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Yeah, it comes out. There should be two small T5? T8? screws under the tape player. They were previously hidden by the MID. Unscrew them and the cassette player will slide out. The screws will not come out. You probably only have to rotate them 10 times for each one to let go.

My Cars
    1979 320i Golf
    Mine does this too, but the turn signals also go out(on the interior). Have read that it can be corrosion in the cd changer cord. Haven't investigated yet.
    1979 320i Golf

2008 328i White on Black

2000 M Coupe Imola on Imola/Black.....Retired

1998 BMW 540i Auto Black on Black......Retired

My Cars
    1997 BMW 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by yacob555 View Post
    Mine does this too, but the turn signals also go out(on the interior). Have read that it can be corrosion in the cd changer cord. Haven't investigated yet.
    got the same problem on my 97 523i. Radio sometimes work, sometimes not, clock (MID) sometimes shows up, sometimes it does not.

when the clock display is there my turn signals (cluster), Hi beam (cluster) and reverse light (AT tranny) all work, but as soon as the display goes out (the radio/MID just shuts off/dies out), then signals and high beam indicator and reverse light all stop working.

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    pulled the tape player out today. the fuse is there and it was good. I replaced it anyway. does anyone know the exact locations of all of the fuses that have anything to do with the sound system?
    maybe a schematic.
    thanks again in advance.

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    update: I took the tape out and checked the fuse. the fuse was good. so pulled the plug off the back of the tape player and checked for constant power, switched power and ground. all where present. it looks like there may be a problem with the tape player it looks as though it may serve as a head unit also, so I ordered one off eBay.
    I will keep everyone posted.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Yeah, sounds like a bad tape player. Try to find someone on here or in a local dump for a new tape player. Ebay seems to be overpriced. 120 dollars for a 13 year old tape player? No thanks.

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    what about the fuse in the radio itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a bad tape player. Try to find someone on here or in a local dump for a new tape player. Ebay seems to be overpriced. 120 dollars for a 13 year old tape player? No thanks.
    you can get the business CD for about same price

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    1998 750IL
    thanks. found a tape player on eBay for $30

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast