Thread: Steering Wheel Shake/Vibration normal?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330ci

Question Steering Wheel Shake/Vibration normal?

Hi guys, I was out last night and test drove a 2004 330ci. There is currently 76,000 miles on it.
    I was impressed overall with the car but when I first started driving it I noticed the steering wheel was vibrating a bit, enough that you could look and see my hands shake.
    The road I was on was paved but did have a some small loose rocks, nothing major though and nothing that my current Volkswagen would even notice.

I asked the owner why it was doing that at such low speed, first gear, and he told me that the wheels are adapting and trying to center themselves and that it has been like that since he bought it, used from a dealership.

I've never owned a BMW so I am not sure what to think here..

Could I get some comments and opinions on this please?
    I don't want to buy a car if I'm going to have to do work on it right away.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 325i, 2002 X5 3.0i
    Wheels centering and adapting themselves? What?

Three letters: PPI = Pre-Purchase Inspection. Find a good independent shop that will do a thorough inspection before you buy the car. If the owner won't let that happen, walk away.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci
    Over inflated tyres? Give it some time.
    Or could be an alignment. Does the steering wheel veer in any directions while going straight?

I say time will heal this one.
    Now they dropping and yelling, it's a tad too late, Nate K and Rayzah Blade had to regulate.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even thank her." ~W.C. Fields
    Two tone leather boots, CF B&R emblems, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED sidemarkers, CF interior layout, Suwoo highbeam bowls
    Rooted Droid2 running stock overclocked to 600 MHz

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330ci
    Yeah I thought the whole wheels centering themselves sounded kind of sketchy but I don't know.

The alignment seemed to be ok. It wasn't pulling in any direction when I let go of the wheel.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i
    tire mounting or balancing problem
    over inflation in tires
    alignment needs to be done

I would have the mounting and balancing inspected (if that is possible)
    also get a current alignment print out

if all of these check out and are as they should be then it may be a steering column problem, im not too sure but the things mentioned above should fix that issue

EDIT: it doesnt have to pull to be off considering the camber and toe are taken into account, IMO
    Last edited by jreyes19; 09-08-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Sedan Parts for sale EURO TRAY / OEM original books in leather case / misc. exterior

My Cars
    03 325i, 02 Jetta
    I would say balancing, brakes, or wheels could also be bent..all that happened to me before in different occations..so check those..and yes PPI! especially if you never owned a EURO car..this is not a honda or a american car..those cars are useless PPIs cus they will break even if they look good for a minute..lol

My Cars
    2007 BMW E61 530xiT
    It's not normal. Best to have it inspected. In addition to everything stated here it could also need some new bushings.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330i
    I was gonna say, kinda surprised that no one stated it might need new bushings! It could be suspension related.

Does it happen on and off or is it a constant shake? My steering wheel was shaking bad between 40-60 and my rotors were warped and the calipers were ceased so I had to get new rotors, pads and a cailper for the passenger side. Also there could be air in your brake lines.

My Cars
    2004 325i
    I have an 04 325i. Got it about 8 months ago with 58k. Had a small shake when I got it, after an inspection I was told my control arm bearings were a little loose. Recently shake has gotten worse, I can see it in the wheel now and it pulls to the left. Got it checked again and was told control arm bearing was a little loose as well as my ball joints.