Thread: anyone have to replace a turbo in a 335i yet?

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.

anyone have to replace a turbo in a 335i yet?

looking at a car that needs a new turbo. Just wondering if this is a terribly long/difficult job as I am not too familiar with the e90/e92 chassis. Can the stock turbos be found fairly easily and cheap, or does it pay to do a turbo upgrade? Thanks!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    1XXXwhp 996TT, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    looking at a car that needs a new turbo. Just wondering if this is a terribly long/difficult job as I am not too familiar with the e90/e92 chassis. Can the stock turbos be found fairly easily and cheap, or does it pay to do a turbo upgrade? Thanks!

Turbo upgrade, but they really dont have a turbo upgrade, its just a compressor upgrade. You have to drop the engine somewhat to do the swap. Do you have a tune already? I know either piggyback from Terry or Shiv will work with the upgrade turbo.

The best turbo showing the most power is the RB Turbos by Rob, but I believe you have to send in your old turbos too and the wait is quite long but I havent checked in a while. Check out www.N54tech.com thats terry's site and he is very helpful. IF you want I have Terry's cellphone number (i was very close with him back in the day when pioneering the modding of that platform).

My Cars
    TurboVert, MCoupe, 335xi
    bigugly would be a great guy to ask about this. If you Google "bigugly fabrication" I think you can find his number. He has done a lot of 335 work.

Used turbos are relatively inexpensive. Upgrades are serious money and would only be worth it if you are going to mod the car and keep it. Probably not that great for resale.

If you are sure the car only needs turbos (motors are supposedly rock solid)...and the price is right...it could be a great car.

My Cars
    Out of Service

My Cars
    E36 GOODNESSSS
    Yes bigugly is the person to ask/work with

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    i got these parts for sale

front corner light for a 4 door E36 $20plus shipping
    headlight eyebrows $20 plud shpping
    M3 OEM radiator $100 plus shipping
    M52 cams with trays high miles $150 shipped
    M3 front calipers $150 plus shipping
    18x8 offsed 35, front 18x10 offset 40 rear bsa motorsports wheels $400 plus shipping
    obd2 valve covers $50 plus shipping
    intake manifolds $50 plus shipping
    estoril blue doors of a 96 M3 2door $200 plus shipping each
    rear glass $50 plus shipping
    rear trunk lid $150 plus shipping

new 1/4 is 800 ft away ))

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Haha $40?!

My Cars
    BMW E30 318i
    No way!

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    Support the engine from above. Drop or hang the subframe and then take about 8 hours swapping out the turbos.

This is on a full sized lift and at a BMW Dealership. Co-workers have done the job a few times and there really isn't any "fast" way of doing it. Just gotta work smart and understand a lot of things have to come out before touching the turbos and breaking a new sockets/bits

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Yep, my friend had to replace two turbos his first week at the dealer, it took him a little over a day. Experienced techs can MAYBE get it done in a day with proper resources.

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    jesus christ! 8 hours?! thats insane. Anyone know how to identify that the turbo is the issue rather than something else? I started the car and it seemed fine. No CEL, no strange noises, etc. jsut the seller telling me that a turbo is bad. Any tips on what I should look for specifically? Maybe its something else not so difficult to deal with. I wish I was more familiar with these cars/motors.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    97 M3/4, 06 M5, 03 X5
    What advice did he have that the turbo was bad, is there dealer documentation? Why not take it to the dealer and get a PPI, and use it as a negotiating tool.
    1997 BMW M3/4 Cosmos Black Luxury Package 437whp 378 ft/lbs torque Dyno Dynamics Dyno
    10 psi Stage III KO Performance Vortech supercharger,

My Cars
    '99 M3 TT stg II
    yes its a long process.

My Cars
    hellrot Ti
    engine cradle.

and done in one day.

Also with replacing them, you have to swap over the wastegate actuator, and you will have to adjust it.

Proper BMW adjustment is using a vacuum machine and setting it to a specific pressure to adjust the clamping pressure of the wastegate valve.

Edit: PM me for any more info if you need it

andrew

My Cars
    turbo m3
    What are the failure rates of the stock turbos?? I've heard of wastegate failures/problems

And, I did not know it was all that work to swap turbos. To me, that makes the n54 motors almost unattractive.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    yeah, looking into it a bit more, the manifold and turbo seem to be integrated as one - similar to how the e46 m3 has the cats integrated into the header. Annoying to say the least if you have an issue that requires a replacement. From what I have heard they are pretty stout and fast motors if your fuel pump doesnt die.
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    06 Impreza Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    yeah, looking into it a bit more, the manifold and turbo seem to be integrated as one - similar to how the e46 m3 has the cats integrated into the header. Annoying to say the least if you have an issue that requires a replacement. From what I have heard they are pretty stout and fast motors if your fuel pump doesnt die.
    the exhaust housing is built into the manifold, it will come seperate

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by ZimDoc View Post
    Support the engine from above. Drop or hang the subframe and then take about 8 hours swapping out the turbos.

This is on a full sized lift and at a BMW Dealership. Co-workers have done the job a few times and there really isn't any "fast" way of doing it. Just gotta work smart and understand a lot of things have to come out before touching the turbos and breaking a new sockets/bits
    Actually there is a "fast" way. If you drop the engine/trans/subframe together on a table(shouldn't take anyone with BMW experience more than 45 mins to do), gives you all the room in the world to do a turbo swap. If you're on your game and don't let anyone bother you, job can be in in less than 5 hours or so. That's we do them along with engines.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    E90 335 Msport / E70 X5D
    I would find out why they think they have a bad turbo. If they are getting a rattle at startup then it's a WG issue. And jack is right, dropping the motor is pretty easy if you have a lift and the proper table. If not, hang the motor from the top and lower the subframe. Either way, not a fun job.
    11 335i M Sport MT - VTT stage 2 DBB : JB4 stg 2 Backend flash + E85 + TBI : FBO : M3 suspension : Performance Diffuser, Sideskirts, Splitters : M3 mirrors