Thread: Replacing x5 Headlight Lens?

My Cars
    2005 BMW x5

Replacing x5 Headlight Lens?

Hi, all. I just joined the forum, having purchased a 2005 x5 this weekend. I am now in the process of fixing the minor issues here and there. The most significant issue is the clouding of the headlight lenses (by which I mean the clear plastic covering the assembly). It looks like someone attempted to PlastiX (or similarl stuff) them. However, there appears to be a significant amount of clouding on the inside of the lens. It does not appear to be moister. Anyway, I tried to take of the plastic leans to clean it. It seemed like it would be easy enough. I removed the plastic/rubber shield that sits on top and is held in place by several pegs. I then easily removed the 3 clips that appeared to hold the lense to the light assembly and.... the lens wouldn't budge. There does appear to be a gasket between the lens and the assembly. So, what's the problem? Did I miss some hidden clips which require disassembly of the front of the vehichle to get to? Is there some sort of super strength sealant holding it on? Is it possible to take it off without destroying it? And this leads me to my next question, which I'm afraid may answer my previous one.

Where can one buy just the lenses (left & right)? None of the BMW parts sites I have search had just the lens. I can't believe I will have to spend $1600 to replace the whole assembly due to some hazed plastic.

THANKS!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    If I were you I would try the 3M headlight restoration kit. Can be found at AutoZone and the like. It's a 3 step sanding process, then buff and polish. You won't be disappointed. Also what may look like damage or haze on the inside is actually just on the top layer of plastic.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2005 BMW x5

Thanks.

Yeah, I was thinking/hoping that. It looks like someone had tried to de-haze them previously. They either did a bad job, or the lens is too far goone. But, I'll give it a try. Just makes me wonder: The lens appers to be assembled for removal as easily removable clips hold it on (plus, apparently, some sort of sealant/glue). Yet, I have not been able to find just the lens for sale anywhere on the internet.

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5

Just lenses

I can not believe it but I can not find any where to buy just the lenses either, Im thinking it would be a huge business.

My Cars
    545i X5 4.4
    The only way to remove lense to clean inside is using a heat gun to loosen the glue which looks like a gasket. Did it on my e39 years ago, real pain, but I did find replacement lense back then, but having the X5 now with same problem, like you, I could not find lense, so am doing the restoration process. Wanted to install angel eyes, but don't want to break seal if no new lenses are available.

Good luck,

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    On a 05 E53 X5 the lense is bonded to the housing with a urethane adhesive. Your lenses are not removable.

It is not like earlier BMW's that used a Butyl bases adhesive that can be heated, released, and reused.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    z3
    X5 lenses in my experience seem to be some sort of harder plastic or something, but I have never been able to succesfully polish X5 lights after trying it on 3 models. I would recommend using the full corrective process - deep sanding to a new layer of platsic then buffing/polishing. Problem with doing that is the new layer of plastic is soft and will easily pit and haze quickly. So you will be back in the same boat in a few months. 3M protective vinyl over the lights after polishing them out could make it look good long-term.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    03.5 M3 vert
    Polish them, much less work. They will look great

My Cars
    545i X5 4.4

3m headlight kit results

Quote Originally Posted by blackxs View Post
    X5 lenses in my experience seem to be some sort of harder plastic or something, but I have never been able to succesfully polish X5 lights after trying it on 3 models. I would recommend using the full corrective process - deep sanding to a new layer of platsic then buffing/polishing. Problem with doing that is the new layer of plastic is soft and will easily pit and haze quickly. So you will be back in the same boat in a few months. 3M protective vinyl over the lights after polishing them out could make it look good long-term.
    Having polished lenses in the past, no doubt it works, but to make it easy, use the 3M headlight kit which has all the items you need included. I went with the finest sandpaper I could find before, but 600 is all I could find, and this took a lot of polishing with compound to bring back the shine. Used the 3M kit and they have drill attachment and much finer sand paper discs, plus foam buffing wheel which did the trick better than the buffing wheel made of wool which I had used before. Came out great if I must say myself, but I spent hours working on it, so be prepared and don't take any short cuts. Don't know how long it will last, but I did treat finished lenses with nano sealer which I had great success with on black trim items. It lasts longer than anything else I have used on trim, and brings out shine on lenses, so we shall see.

Would like to have installed angel eyes, but seeing someone post that lenses are sealed with a urethane in place of butyl sealer, I would not want to ruin them trying to open lenses up. Anyone ever see someone succeed on getting lenses off? I know some forums have a few stories of success, but I don't know what the break point is when they changed sealer material. I have a 2003 X5, so anyone know?

Thanks,