Thread: LED Daytime Running Lights

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i6

LED Daytime Running Lights

Alright, here's my first post, I know it's a bit random and may get all the critics going, but here we go.

The LED daytime running lights on the new E-Class have me weak, and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried fitting these LED lights from Benz's to replace their fog lights? Also, I'm not too sure how it would fit exactly.

Thoughts? Concerns? Anyone done it?

Btw. I have a '97 540iA, pretty much stock, minus the air intake silencer delete.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    why why why? why you want to put your car like Christmas tree? why????, leave your car like you have it right now..... if you want something really cool for your daytime running, put a facelift headlamps (OEM of course) and with this headlamps you will have the Angels Eyes, and you can put LED Angels Eyes and that's it...

Don't know why all people try to imitate the Audi headlamps?, do you see it's look so ugly, cheap and COPY?......

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i6
    well i don't want to put the LED's in my headlights, I wanted them to replace my fog lamps.

so more like the e-class not the audi's.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Quote Originally Posted by GBidz View Post
    well i don't want to put the LED's in my headlights, I wanted them to replace my fog lamps.

Then go and get a MB.
    E-39 was not built with LED bars in mind...
    We have AE.
    Don't ruin the looks of the car with some ricer mods.
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    e39 540i
    Just get some nice AEs in there. Whether it may be Hella or Depo UHP, there are several solutions that look good and you'll be happy with. And they all look better than the Audi/MB look imo
    '00 540i 6spd - Depo - Hella - Nitto - Brembo - B&B - Reso-Delete - Racing Dynamics - Dice Electronics

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    on real oem there is a kit for that
    leds on the bumper genuine bmw rice
    leds stripe that go on your bumper grill right next to the foglight i think it applies only for e39 facelift bumpers
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30

I know you want put some cheap LED strips in your fog lights, like MB do or even Audi or Porsche (well all of those are from the same boss, VW), and I told you DON'T, I told you another way, the OEM way, not the ricer way, like all other cheap cars does.......
    If you want to look like a MB, well, sell your 540 and buy a MB and that's it.....

AUDI

MB e-class
    Last edited by jdjg; 08-01-2011 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i6
    alright, i digg. I wasn't trying to make it look like an MB or Audi, just thought if anyone had done it and if it looked any good. I just find it harder to find some of the kits up here in Canada, cause I don't really like buying online.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    alright, i digg. I wasn't trying to make it look like an MB or Audi, just thought if anyone had done it and if it looked any good. I just find it harder to find some of the kits up here in Canada, cause I don't really like buying online.
    not, not look good at all, look ricer and cheaper and COPY.......

if you want led in your lights, buy the facelift headlamps (aka Angels Eyes and if you have the money, buy the OEM one aka Hella) and replace the Angel Eye halogen bulb for a LED bulb.....

be original, be BMW always....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Got to agree with the group and suggest you look into upgrading your current lights to projectors with angel eyes. I realize it's tempting to go cheap and copy someones else's idea of running lights but Bimmers need to be equipped with badass glowing eyes, not fruity ditto-dotted lines.

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 528i
    I agree with all the comments above and that if your going to do this to your fog lights just go out and buy that make/ brand of car that has them already. I have LED european city lights that are located inside my high beam houseing. These lights are not day time running lights and do not come on as day time running lights, they are my parking lights. Mabby this would be an alternativeif you dont wish to update your head lights. (pics are below)

GO Blue... Michigan

My Cars
    2003/E39/525iM/70k
    Bmw actually makes an official retro fit kit for the cars http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...89&hg=63&fg=95

Old car->1992/E34/525iA/70k

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    I think if you want LED running lights you should stick to buying some nice LED Angel Eyes, but I did a few Photoshops to see what it looks like.

Though the first one looks pretty good, I really don't think it fits in with the E39 that well.
    Last edited by Xeniczone; 08-02-2011 at 02:46 AM.

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauanzug View Post
    Bmw actually makes an official retro fit kit for the cars http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...89&hg=63&fg=95
    Interesting to see where these would look the best on an E39. Ideally if BMW wanted to release a retrofit, it should be in the form of an Angel Eye LED bulb update to make the older BMWs as bright as the F10 5 series. Those things are BRIGHT WHITE!! Makes me want to upgrade my E60 LCI to white LEDs!
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Cool let's all go to pepboys and get the west coast custom kits.. Nice big wing a weedwacker exhaust and an underbody neon kit........smh

slammed528i

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjg View Post
    why why why? why you want to put your car like Christmas tree? why????

Its so true who was that guy who just posted pics of his friends car with light strips right under the headlights? What are people thinking!!!

My Cars
    2000 BMW E39 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeniczone View Post
    I think if you want LED running lights you should stick to buying some nice LED Angel Eyes, but I did a few Photoshops to see what it looks like.

Though the first one looks pretty good, I really don't think it fits in with the E39 that well.

NOOOOOO DONT DESTROY MY CAR WITH THAT MERC CRAP HA HA

GO Blue... Michigan

My Cars
    1999 BWM 3 Series saloon
    Quote Originally Posted by united2512002 View Post
    NOOOOOO DONT DESTROY MY CAR WITH THAT MERC CRAP HA HA
    AHAHAHAHA well said friend! DON'T DO IT...

My Cars
    '08 135is and '02 540
    It will look ridiculous on a pre-update unmodified car. A thoroughly modified E39 COULD possibly pull it off, but a stock as a rock, pre-update car will look absolutely ridiculous with them.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Even though BMW released the "OE" LED light bar for the E39, I agree that it would take a highly modded yet classy E39 to pull it off if it's possible at all.
    I recommend going the AE route as others state.

My Cars
    E39it, 03 M5, F10 535
    I agree with the members above! Why, why, would you want to make your car look like a MBZ, Audi. The angel eyes is what makes our BMW's stand out from the rest. Each brand has their signature on their cars so dont try a ruin your individuality (pride). Just my 2 cents worth.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauanzug View Post
    Hmmm. Why didn't BMW just stay with the AE's...upgrade those or something? At least it would seem like an original design flow instead of a copy-cat.

BMW part # 63 30 2 184 000

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt6IjFrQpgw&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 08-02-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2008 M5
    Since you have an e62 as your example, BMW could have easily programmed the orange eyebrow as the daytime running light and sold upgraded LED AE bulbs instead of going with the lightbar. I wouldn't put that bar on my M5 even tho it could prob pull it off. I like the AE look so much better!!
    '08 M5 Sepang Bronze/Portland - Modded-
    '11 328i M Sport Le Manns Blue/Oyster - wifeymobile
    '02 525i Touring Alpine White/Sand - Getting modded
    '06 Mini Cooper JCW GP#1281 - SOLD
    '10 MiniCooper S Laurel Sport Edition 1/100 - SOLD
    '99 M Coupe Laguna Seca Blue/Black - highly modded SOLD
    '04 4.8is X5 Estoril/Black Alcantara - modded SOLD
    '01 740i Shorty Sport - TiAg/Blk - SOLD
    '98 M3/2 Cosmos - Modded SOLD
    '97 M3/4 Alpine - stock SOLD

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    well in the video I only saw Audi.. no BMW.....

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA