Thread: does the 335i fuel pump recall work?

My Cars
    1998 318i

does the 335i fuel pump recall work?

Looking at a 2007 335i that replaced the fuel pump after failure then was checked at a recall and deemed good. Is the problem fixed or should i still worry about it?

My Cars
    2011 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by dbronk11 View Post
    Looking at a 2007 335i that replaced the fuel pump after failure then was checked at a recall and deemed good. Is the problem fixed or should i still worry about it?
    Unfortunately there are reports coming in that HPFP are failing on the new N55 engine in the 2010+ 335i.

6 years and counting BMW, disappointed!

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Statistically speaking, you are more likely to be ok than not.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2010' 335i & 328, Vette
    LOL Had my 2010 335 a year just barely put on 1,000 miles. But when went for
    a check, they said had to replace it. So ended up in a loaner.

Thing is when got the car back, headed off and about 3 miles from home lost
    power, and notice came on the message center. So drove 30 miles back to the
    dealer. Left the car again. They claimed a turbo hose was off and one kinked.
    ????

I haven't driven the car any long distance, so can't say if fixed or but it did
    make it back home again with no problem.

My Cars
    '07 335i E92 JB4
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Statistically speaking, you are more likely to be ok than not.

I agree with this comment even though I am on my fourth pump in less than four years. Despite all the negative hype from the media and a few malcontents, it gives me peace of mind that BMW is backing us up for ten years or +100K miles. Each time I had to have it replaced, the SA's were very accomodating and willing to make things right. I know this may not be the case with everyone out there but my experience with the HPFP issue has not dissuaded me one iota from the brand in general or my car in particular.

My Cars
    2008 335
    I have a 2008 335. I never went into limp home mode. I just had a few instances of cold start long cranks. The pump was replaced around the first of the year and I haven't had any problems with it at all since then. The dealer also did an check of the injectors and replace 4 of them. The fuel pump is noticeably louder when I unlock the doors. So it's obvious that they not only replaced the pump, but updated the software to pressurize the system to a higher level before a cold start. Before the pump change and reprogramming, I could hear a faint buzzing sound, but it's much louder now. It's nice to know there is a long term warranty, but if you get stuck in a remote area where you can't get easily to a dealer, it won't be much comfort knowing the pump will be replaced out of warranty. I'd rather have a car that I know will go 100k before a pump replacement is necessary.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by love2xlr8 View Post
    I agree with this comment even though I am on my fourth pump in less than four years. Despite all the negative hype from the media and a few malcontents, it gives me peace of mind that BMW is backing us up for ten years or +100K miles. Each time I had to have it replaced, the SA's were very accomodating and willing to make things right. I know this may not be the case with everyone out there but my experience with the HPFP issue has not dissuaded me one iota from the brand in general or my car in particular.

The HPFP warranty is 10 years and 120,000 miles, FYI.

And OP: Yes, you'll be fine with a new pump (statistically speaking. ). It's been months since we've had a replacement pump go bad. For awhile there, we were having cars come back after just a week or two. Now we're fixing them and they're staying fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    08 E90 335i
    I had it done a few months ago and had no previous issues with the car. I am noticing longer cranks now all the time, but by longer I mean longer than what it was before the recall. Not a super long time but it is for sure noticeable. No limp modes or power loss noticed, just longer cranks......The car is still a beast but I am now thinking about it more than I did before the recall.

My Cars
    2011 328xi
    I don't think this was ever confirmed, but apparently most cases of HPFP failure happens in North America, and this issue is definitely not as prevalent in Europe.

Some of the BMW enthusiasts are suggesting that this is due to the quality of oil we have here in the States/Canada (higher sulfur contains), or because of the added ethanol in the gas.

My Cars
    2011 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by love2xlr8 View Post
    I agree with this comment even though I am on my fourth pump in less than four years. . . . has not dissuaded me one iota from the brand in general or my car in particular.
    Seriously? The car has had to go in for service an average of once a year for the same thing and you still drink the blue and white cool-aid? Wow!
    2011 535i Deep Sea Blue/Oyster 6MT As all proper BMWs should be
    2000 M5 Black/Black 6MT (as all proper Ms are)
    2008 R1200GS Namibia Orange Motorcycle 6MT
    2008 335 Jet Black/Gray Coupe 6MT sold

My Cars
    2008 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
    Seriously? The car has had to go in for service an average of once a year for the same thing and you still drink the blue and white cool-aid? Wow!
    Not to speak for him, but I love everything about my 335 so much that I think if I were in his shoes I would feel the same way. Sure it's annoying to have to take your car in....but if its covered under warranty and you still love everything else about your car...it's probably worth it to some/most.

Anyways, 53k on my 08 335i. It had the original HPFP replaced under warranty at ~42k I believe (that was the first owner). I bought the car at 49k and so far no issues. We'll see.

My Cars
    14 JGC/13 E88 128i
    39K miles early 2007 335 never missed a beat. BMW did the recall using the 466 pump ending numbers and reprograming a few months ago.
    I am not concerned and yes pumps have failed world wide. Siemens was replaced with Bosch on the pump manufacture after BMW lost confidence in Siemens.
    I don't know too many pump manufactures that are much better than Bosch.
    Love the car it lives up to my expectations.

Not sure that this problem is completely solved but fewer and fewer reports anymore

mattjw916 is offline I had something for this BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2011 335xi, 2006 325xi
    Bosch pumps are FTW in my experience. Anyway, the HPFP recall included the latest (4th I think) revision of the pump. My '08 335 didn't have any problems before or after the recall so failure is not a certainty by any means.

Don't waste time "worrying" about cars breaking. They all do at some point after all.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 335 convertible
    I think it must be something to do with fuel, never had any problems with mine, 50 k on it now. I had mine replaced about 3 k ago under the recall. Seems to run the same as before or maybe more powerful but it could be because they cleaned the injection system as part of the recall.
    I only use “approved” gas stations and always burn premium.
    I heard all manufactures are up in arms because there is a plan to up ethanol content even more, which manufacture’s say will damage the engine.

My Cars
    99MC, 06MR, 85M6, 97M3
    If you can help it, put 100% gas in there. No ethanol!
    99 M Coupe
    06 Z4M Roadster (1 of 1)
    85 M635CSi (Euro)
    97 M3 Coupe (Track)
    95 M3 Coupe
    91 850i 6MT
    11 E93 M3
    16 X5 35x
    16 Chevy Tahoe 4WD