Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1M vs Z4MCoupe

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition

Question 1M vs Z4MCoupe

Somebody explain to me why the 1M is so coveted when the Z4MCoupe was sho shunned? Basically they are the same car... lightweight (relative) sports cars. The 1M is a bit bigger and has a bit more torque. The Z4MCoupe was a little smaller.

Both cars have/had applicable M suspensions, brakes, wider stances, and interior dressings. Yet when people talk, they shun the Z4MCoupe and drool over the 1M.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    People see the 1M as the modern incarnation of the E30 M3. The Z4M, being a low-slung sports car, doesn't fit that template. The enthusiasts disillusioned by the growing weight and power of the M3 wanted something more light, simple and "pure," in a package that harkened back to the silhouette of the original M3.

Besides, I think a lot of people were turned off by the styling of the Z4 roadster, and were thus unwilling to consider the coupe (miles better-looking, IMO).
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    2005 Z4 3.0i
    I drool over both. But wasnt the z4 alot more expensive? I think an m version of the current z4 would be much more successful.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    To me the Z4M lacks that "X factor" that both the Z3MCoupe and the 1M possess. Its that feeling that they were made in the "skunkworks" engineering dept. of BMW M, not in a corporate board meeting or focus group. It was always a competent, but bland addition to the M family imo.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    The difference I see between the two cars is the in the Z4MCoupe you sit lower and behind the engine while in the 1er, you sit higher and more in the middle of the car.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    The difference I see between the two cars is the in the Z4MCoupe you sit lower and behind the engine while in the 1er, you sit higher and more in the middle of the car.
    A lot of people don't like / aren't used to that either. It's a much more traditional sports car seating orientation compared to the 1M. Personally, I see both sides of the coin. I still need to drive the 1M, so it's a bit early to say which I prefer.
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    96 M3
    the 1M is a limited edition

/thread

My Cars
    95LTW - 06 Z4Mc
    I'll take the over on the number of 1m coupes produced this year vs: the total 1800 three year run of the z4mc.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1Hearm View Post
    I'll take the over on the number of 1m coupes produced this year vs: the total 1800 three year run of the z4mc.
    Thats not what i meant tho. I know there wasnt alot of Z4M's but for some reason BMW has seemed to stress how the 1M is a limited production. I could be wrong tho, as I dont know if they said the same about the Z

My Cars
    German
    Quote Originally Posted by BoldUlysses View Post
    The enthusiasts disillusioned by the growing weight and power of the M3 wanted something more light, simple and "pure," in a package that harkened back to the silhouette of the original M3.
    if they really wanted to harken back to the e30 m3, they would've put a non-turbo engine in it

Besides, I think a lot of people were turned off by the styling of the Z4 roadster, and were thus unwilling to consider the coupe (miles better-looking, IMO).
    i'm also guessing the reason was because it was bangled

Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    To me the Z4M lacks that "X factor" that both the Z3MCoupe and the 1M possess. Its that feeling that they were made in the "skunkworks" engineering dept. of BMW M, not in a corporate board meeting or focus group. It was always a competent, but bland addition to the M family imo.
    without regards to looks, the z4m is better than the z3m in every single way.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
    I drool over both. But wasnt the z4 alot more expensive? I think an m version of the current z4 would be much more successful.
    z4m coupe started at ~$49k, 1m starts at around ~$46k
    Last edited by mike87; 06-29-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    Quote Originally Posted by mike87 View Post
    if they really wanted to harken back to the e30 m3, they would've put a non-turbo engine in it and delete the idrive
    AFAIK, 1M Coupe doesn't have iDrive. And 6-speed only. So they got those things right. True about the N/A engine, but given BMW's current lineup, the 1M is as close as it gets to the E30 M3.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    German
    AFAIK, 1M Coupe doesn't have iDrive. And 6-speed only. So they got those things right. True about the N/A engine, but given BMW's current lineup, the 1M is as close as it gets to the E30 M3.
    you are correct, it doesn't have idrive. i changed my original post, but looks like you quoted beforehand :p

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    I don't think that's the case nowadays... but if you're referring to when the z4m was new than it is likely because the z4 competes with the vette & boxster/cayman, while the 1m is more of a sedan.

Also by msrp I believe the 1m is cheaper than the mz4 was in 06-08.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    Also by msrp I believe the 1m is cheaper than the mz4 was in 06-08.
    Not when BMW was throwing a $7,500 "trunk cash" on the car starting in 2007. I've seen MZ4 Coupes going out the door for less than $44,000 brand new.

And as far as the MZ4 Coupe not being "skunk work" enough, it's got all the fixin's of BMW's ///M division before the ///M stood for Marketing. That's right. The MZ4 Coupe was the last car that they concocted before they sold their soul to the devil and put M badges on turbocharged automatics and called them X5M and X6M.

I'll tell you exactly why the MZ4 Coupe and Roadsters wasn't as coveted. It's called the E46 M3 factor. BMW did not want to price the MZ4 C low enough so that it competes with E46 M3s, which, when the MZ4 C first came out, were still on the shelves. And they had no plans to put the S65 in the MZ4 C since it will cannibalize E9X M3 sales, which started at the end of the MZ4 C run. So here's the conundrum. How do you sell a car that cost about $8,000 more than it should, because its cousin, your bread and butter, your money maker, is still being sold, and its immediate nephew, again, your bread and butter, your money maker, is sitting on the wings being bigger, badder, faster than ever?

You don't.

The "failure" of the MZ4 C was that it was out at the wrong place, during the wrong time. Had the MZ4 C been made 2 years earlier or 2 years later with the new M engine? BMW probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with production. Or had they planned on "limited production" of only 1 year, like they had done with the 1M, you would not hear the end of it, and would see the same "mark-up" and heat present on the 1M. Heck I waited 6 months and paid full MSRP for mine in 2006.

It coming on the waning side of sales for the Z4 probably didn't help either. And the 1M being built on an inferior but popular chassis also means there's already more potential adapters familiar with what the chassis can potentially do. There weren't that many Z4 owners to begin with and nobody really knew how freakishly fantastic the Z4 chassis is on the track except for TC Kline (just as a point of reference, TC Kline's Z4 racer was regularly beating up other E46 based chassis in whatever class it competed in, and that same chassis/car ran competitively after TC sold them).

But, from an academic perspective, the MZ4 Coupe really is the LAST true BMW M car, in that it has a distinct Naturally Aspirated engine shared with no other non-M cars, full and unique M aerodynamic kit, suspension parts unique only to M cars, only comes in a manual (SMG wasn't even offered) and still to date, the stiffest chassis BMW has ever built and at least 100 lbs lighter than any current BMW on the U.S. market.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    BMWs and 'Yotas
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    1M has an "x factor" for you? I am kinda surprised to hear that.

Its a 135 with ugly bumpers to me. SANTAHAT

Quote Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

But, from an academic perspective, the MZ4 Coupe really is the LAST true BMW M car, in that it has a distinct Naturally Aspirated engine shared with no other non-M cars, full and unique M aerodynamic kit, suspension parts unique only to M cars, only comes in a manual (SMG wasn't even offered) and still to date, the stiffest chassis BMW has ever built and at least 100 lbs lighter than any current BMW on the U.S. market.
    What about the e92 M3?
    Last edited by ///36M; 06-29-2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Reigning and Longest Tenured OT President to Date

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    Not when BMW was throwing a $7,500 "trunk cash" on the car starting in 2007. I've seen MZ4 Coupes going out the door for less than $44,000 brand new.

And as far as the MZ4 Coupe not being "skunk work" enough, it's got all the fixin's of BMW's ///M division before the ///M stood for Marketing. That's right. The MZ4 Coupe was the last car that they concocted before they sold their soul to the devil and put M badges on turbocharged automatics and called them X5M and X6M.

I'll tell you exactly why the MZ4 Coupe and Roadsters wasn't as coveted. It's called the E46 M3 factor. BMW did not want to price the MZ4 C low enough so that it competes with E46 M3s, which, when the MZ4 C first came out, were still on the shelves. And they had no plans to put the S65 in the MZ4 C since it will cannibalize E9X M3 sales, which started at the end of the MZ4 C run. So here's the conundrum. How do you sell a car that cost about $8,000 more than it should, because its cousin, your bread and butter, your money maker, is still being sold, and its immediate nephew, again, your bread and butter, your money maker, is sitting on the wings being bigger, badder, faster than ever?

You don't.

The "failure" of the MZ4 C was that it was out at the wrong place, during the wrong time. Had the MZ4 C been made 2 years earlier or 2 years later with the new M engine? BMW probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with production. Or had they planned on "limited production" of only 1 year, like they had done with the 1M, you would not hear the end of it, and would see the same "mark-up" and heat present on the 1M. Heck I waited 6 months and paid full MSRP for mine in 2006.

It coming on the waning side of sales for the Z4 probably didn't help either. And the 1M being built on an inferior but popular chassis also means there's already more potential adapters familiar with what the chassis can potentially do. There weren't that many Z4 owners to begin with and nobody really knew how freakishly fantastic the Z4 chassis is on the track except for TC Kline (just as a point of reference, TC Kline's Z4 racer was regularly beating up other E46 based chassis in whatever class it competed in, and that same chassis/car ran competitively after TC sold them).

I know I owned one. The problem with the mz4 is that people don't buy bmw sports cars, bmw buyers like sport sedans. To be honest the small sports sedan is what bmw does best, as much character as the mz3 & mz4 have neither were ever the best car in their class.
    Last edited by Serious; 06-29-2011 at 07:16 PM.

My Cars
    m3, gtr
    People see the 1M as the modern incarnation of the E30 M3.
    they shouldn't

My Cars
    E91 328iX, 1995 540i/6
    I haven't had the privilege to drive either, but in both style, statement and numbers I like both. But they are very different. The Z was a 2 seater no string attached sport car that looked wild while the 1 is a 2door coupe with a trunk, four seats and is sensible looking. Different crowds.

My Cars
    E46, S2000
    I was unaware that people didn't like the Z4M.... must not have ever driven one.

Forum Rules___Info for New Members___Teen Driving School in So Cal
    "It's the internet by my rules."--Kevlar

My Cars
    German
    +11111 couldn't have put it any better myself

My Cars
    E36 M3
    It's all in how you market the car.

BMW built too many Z4M's and didn't compare it to an E30 M3.

Advertise the hell out of it, limit production, compare it to an E30 = fanboys come running.

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious View Post
    I know I owned one. The problem with the mz4 is that people don't buy bmw sports cars, bmw buyers like sport sedans. To be honest the small sports sedan is what bmw does best, as much character as the mz3 & mz4 have neither were ever the best car in their class.
    That is certainly one of the reasons why it sold so poorly, in that anyone looking for a pure 2 seater experience with a fixed top to excite them wouldn't be looking at BMWs first.

I still think that the 1M has the luxury of not being priced to NOT cannibalize the E9X M3 sales. Had the MZ4 Coupe been priced at ~$42,000 like BMW had done after the first year of sale via trunk money, which is much closer to what the perceived value is of the car, it would have been potentially a commercial success and an immediate cult legend.

I mean, look at all the people snatching up used MZ4 Coupes right now at $25,000-$30,000. A 5 year car with decent mileage like mine could potentially still command 60% of its original price.
    "Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.

My Cars
    '03 M3, '92 525i
    That is certainly one of the reasons why it sold so poorly, in that anyone looking for a pure 2 seater experience with a fixed top to excite them wouldn't be looking at BMWs first.

I still think that the 1M has the luxury of not being priced to NOT cannibalize the E9X M3 sales. Had the MZ4 Coupe been priced at ~$42,000 like BMW had done after the first year of sale via trunk money, which is much closer to what the perceived value is of the car, it would have been potentially a commercial success and an immediate cult legend.

I mean, look at all the people snatching up used MZ4 Coupes right now at $25,000-$30,000. A 5 year car with decent mileage like mine could potentially still command 60% of its original price.
    I'm curious where these cars will bottom out. I think another year or two and I'll be ready to make the switch into a MZ4 Coupe.
    '03 E46 M3 - "Brittney"
    '92 E34 525i - "Ivanka"

My Cars
    MZ4C, Veloster, Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
    I'm curious where these cars will bottom out. I think another year or two and I'll be ready to make the switch into a MZ4 Coupe.
    It has already bottomed out. 2 years ago when I refinanced to purchase the car out of lease, the remaining residual was $24,xxx. 2 years later with another ~8,000 miles added I can probably sell this car for the same.

My Cars
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ*)
    I'd take the Z4M coupe any day of the 1M. I think the 1M is ghastly looking. The Z4M really churns my butter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast