Thread: How to attach cruise control cable to OBDII throttle body?

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S

How to attach cruise control cable to OBDII throttle body?

Upon installing my TS, I had to switch from the OBDI throttle body to the OBDII throttle body. I am unsure however, how to attach the cruise control cable to the TB. The OBDI throttle body has a lever type action, and the cruise control cable simply has to pull on the lever arm to actuate it, while the OBDII TB has the rotating cams that the cable wraps around (see pics for comparison):

OBDI

OBDII

The end of the cruise control cable has a 3" long rigid section, how does this wrap around the cam for the OBDII throttle? I looked on realoem and the same cable is used from 9/94 on; my car was a 12/94 build however, so it should be the same.

Cruise control cable with rigid end:

Is it the same cable? Does anyone have any pics of how these go together? I just don't initially see how that cable can wrap around that cam . . . any help greatly appreciated!

My Cars
    98 M3 TTS2
    I'm at work right now so I don't have a pic for ya but I have two cruise control cables in the garage somewhere. Both of them were from OBD2 cars and I'm pretty sure that neither of them had that rigid section.

I wonder if a new cable may need to have the rigid section clipped off and then have a new crimp installed on the braided part of the cable.

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    Yeah mine is NOT rigid.
    Its flexible.

I wonder if the cruise cable for the TS set ups is specific to another model?
    Anyone with a 96-99 M3 verify their cruise cable has a fLexible end (at the TB)?
    Last edited by milKt; 05-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    wrong cable
    Garrett

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    wrong cable
    Problem is that both realoem and Pelican Parts said it was the right part #, and I can't find any alternate part #'s to order.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 300ZXNA View Post
    Problem is that both realoem and Pelican Parts said it was the right part #, and I can't find any alternate part #'s to order.
    Yep. I know.

Search on the e36 M3 forum for the correct PN.

EDIT:

PN 65‐71‐8‐380 077
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 05-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
    Garrett

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    Yep. I know.

Search on the e36 M3 forum for the correct PN.

EDIT:

PN 65‐71‐8‐380 077
    Huh, does anyone know why these are listed as wrong in BMW's actual parts catalog? Just for fun I looked up the TB for a 99 M3 and it showed the lever style TB, not the OBDII TB. Weird.

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    Ok, I need some more backstory here. Pelican Parts is refusing to accept the part back because it was a special order, and are claiming that I was sent the right part and that the part # I just gave them from this thread is for a 323i. I had bought the TB off of an OBDII S52 and am really confused. Who is wrong here? Pelican claims they called BMWNA who confirmed they sent the correct part, yet they obviously aren't compatible if you view them in person.

Is this an actual mistake in the ETK, or did I unknowingly buy a 323i TB instead of an OBDII S52 TB?
    Last edited by 300ZXNA; 05-11-2011 at 07:51 PM.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by 300ZXNA View Post
    Ok, I need some more backstory here. Pelican Parts is refusing to accept the part back because it was a special order, and are claiming that I was sent the right part and that the part # I just gave them from this thread is for a 323i. I had bought the TB off of an OBDII S52 and am really confused. Who is wrong here? Pelican claims they called BMWNA who confirmed they sent the correct part, yet they obviously aren't compatible if you view them in person.

Is this an actual mistake in the ETK, or did I unknowingly buy a 323i TB instead of an OBDII S52 TB?
    RU actually questioning the info I supplied based soely on what Pelican Parts and BMW have told you? Ricockulous!

Seriously, just order the PN I gave you. I've been there done that. Glitch in the system, yo . . . it happens.

According to the ETK, the PN I gave you is for 323 and 328, which, according to the ETK, share the same TB and cruise mechanism PN with the obd2 M3. Common sense dictates that they all share the same cruise cable, as well.
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 05-11-2011 at 08:39 PM.
    Garrett

My Cars
    2014 Porsche Cayman S
    I'm trying to put together info for Pelican Parts so that I can return the wrong cable, as they think I'm crazy. I explained that they are obviously not compatible parts, and that people on BF.c confirm, but of course they then went off on a 'are you going to believe some yokels on a forum or us' rant. I do believe you, I'm just trying to convince Pelican that this is a real issue, as they think I'm trying to cover for ordering the wrong part.

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    I went through this same ordeal not too long ago....I finally gave up and just bought a slightly used one that I luckily found.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    maybe send them a link to this thread? That has cleared a few things up for Me in the past.
    "If you can leave black marks from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." --Mark Donohue