Thread: E46 M3 strut bar will it fit my 330ci zhp

My Cars
    e91, e36, e21

E46 M3 strut bar will it fit my 330ci zhp

As the title states, I own an 2006 330ci zhp that dooes not have a strut bar. I have come across a factory strut bar off of a e46 m3 vert. It looks to be n good shape and is well priced. I do not have the car with me to be able to test fit.

Thanks for the help.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Fits just fine. You may have to move and/or modify the positive terminal though (applies to most strut bars though). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the nuts to fasten the bar are single use, so you may need to buy new ones.

My Cars
    e91, e36, e21
    cool, thanks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Fits just fine. You may have to move and/or modify the positive terminal though (applies to most strut bars though). Also, if I'm not mistaken, the nuts to fasten the bar are single use, so you may need to buy new ones.

My Cars
    2003 ZHP 6MT, 1997 M345
    Some E46 strut bars say they are specific to the M3 vs. non-M. Others use the same bar for both M3 and non-M. My theory is the distance between the strut towers and the bolt pattern on each tower is the same, but some non-M bars might hit the top of the M3 engine. Or possibly some M3 bars might not clear the hood properly if the M3 hood is taller in the middle.

Edit: For example the UUC StrutBarbarian for E46 fits both M3 and non-M. The bar is higher in the middle than at the ends, probably to clear the extra metal rail that's on the M3 (S54?) engines that's not on the non-M (M54) engines. If engine clearance is the only fitment issue, then I would suspect all E46 M3 bars also fit non-M, but not all non-M strut bars fit the M3.
    Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 03-28-2011 at 02:13 AM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Some E46 strut bars say they are specific to the M3 vs. non-M. Others use the same bar for both M3 and non-M. My theory is the distance between the strut towers and the bolt pattern on each tower is the same, but some non-M bars might hit the top of the M3 engine. Or possibly some M3 bars might not clear the hood properly if the M3 hood is taller in the middle.

Edit: For example the UUC StrutBarbarian for E46 fits both M3 and non-M. The bar is higher in the middle than at the ends, probably to clear the extra metal rail that's on the M3 (S54?) engines that's not on the non-M (M54) engines. If engine clearance is the only fitment issue, then I would suspect all E46 M3 bars also fit non-M, but not all non-M strut bars fit the M3.
    pretty sure he was asking specifically about the M3 bar, which fits non-Ms just fine. It's actually the same bar as the OEM performance bar (the non-CF one) - only it's painted black instead of having a chrome finish. It is true that some non-M bars won't fit the M3, mostly because the M3's fuel rail gets in the way.

The M3 does have the power bulge which theoretically gives it more room under the hood, but I don't know if a bar that takes advantage of that extra space exists. The OEM M3 bar definitely fits fine on the non-Ms. (Exception being the 325 SULEV, since the valve cover gets in the way)