Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what front struts? $ vs. How long i'll have the car?

My Cars
    08 BMW 335xi saloon

what front struts? $ vs. How long i'll have the car?

Basically I can't justify spending a bunch of money on bilsteins or koni's or something when my car has 157k miles on it. I don't know if I really need struts however i know the ones I'm on currently have at least 40,000 miles on them and they were used before that.

I saw a few on ebay...
    I have HUGE doubts about these considering they are priced so low and some no name brand mookeeh mk1's or something? My only justification is i can put these on basically to sell my car within the next year.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-T...ltDomainQ5f100

The next are the Monroes.

I feel more confident about these considering that's what monroe is known for his shocks and struts plus this price is inexpensive but not dirt cheap so these look like a good option.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MONRO...Q5fAccessories

the other option is keep looking for something used on here but you never know how many miles or how "used" something like struts are.

What do you think I should do to minimize $ spent on these since I will probably sell the car within the next year or so?

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Get the Monroes

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Honestly, between the 2, I'd go with Monroe any day of the week. Might not be the best shock in the world, but Monroe has been churning them out for as long as cars have been in existence so at least you know they wont blow out in a week.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    As soon as I get to a computer instead my iPhone I'll find a link to the ones I bought. They sound like just what you're looking for

My Cars
    2003 Imola 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by jskin1510 View Post

What do you think I should do to minimize $ spent on these since I will probably sell the car within the next year or so?
    If you put a decent quality product on the car you can use that to sell it. Don't dick over the next owner with shitty parts that are going to break on him... Karma will (I hope honestly) catch up with you. The PO of my car used some cheap parts in several areas, shocks were one of them... not cool.

My Cars
    92 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayGetaway View Post
    If you put a decent quality product on the car you can use that to sell it. Don't dick over the next owner with shitty parts that are going to break on him... Karma will (I hope honestly) catch up with you. The PO of my car used some cheap parts in several areas, shocks were one of them... not cool.
    +1 im having the same issue use a quality and cost effective part

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    this is the set that I got on ebay. they are listed for a 325 but they are the same set they sell for coupes sedans, 325's and 328's.

Before everyone laughs at me let me tell you that I have 15,000 miles on them so far. They fit perfect and I love them. The ride is just a tiny bit stiff over bumps but what the heck...its a sports car. I know they are only $175 shipped to your door, but for that price I can afford to replace them if they only last 30k miles. who knows...they might even last 50k.

If you just need something to put on and your budget is super tight and you only plan on keeping the car for a year, maybe a bit more then I would give these a serious look. Besides...for $175 you can put these on and saveup for a set of $600 Billsteins.

If you're looking for serious performance then maybe not. I would recomend them for any daily driver or a weekend toy like mine.

Sorry guys but we don't all have money to throw around and I like these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-94...item4cf393d3c7
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 03-25-2011 at 06:33 PM.

My Cars
    1994 318is; 2001 525i
    Got Monroe's on the front, and Bilstein Tourings on the rear. No problems.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    I bought Bilstein Touring Class struts for $96 each w/ free shipping last year. Love em

My Cars
    1993 325i
    go to the sponsor section. there's one sponser who sells blistien dirt cheap

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Quote Originally Posted by shlalaw View Post
    Got Monroe's on the front, and Bilstein Tourings on the rear. No problems.
    I've got just the opposite, Bilstein Tourings on the front and Monroes in the rear, work just fine. But consider new bump stops and sleeves.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jskin1510 View Post
    Basically I can't justify spending a bunch of money on bilsteins or koni's or something when my car has 157k miles on it. I don't know if I really need struts however i know the ones I'm on currently have at least 40,000 miles on them and they were used before that.

[...deleted for space...]

First, if you don't know if you need new struts, save your money for other repairs that you probably do need. How are the control arm bushings? How are the tie rods? How are the sway bar bushings? How are the engine mounts? The transmission mounts, the drive shaft flex disc? Oxygen sensors? etc...

Figuring out whether to spend $ on repairs or sell isn't easy. What is the car worth today? What will it be worth one year from now with no repairs, but more wear & tear on the car?

Without understanding your situation or the condition of the car more, I would simply say that if you think the car is in anything less than well-maintained condition, you probably want to sell sooner rather than later. If car is in fair condition, you could sell now for a fair price and save your money for work on the replacement vehicle.

As a cost reference: I just did Bilstein HD struts on my car and replaced the "basics" as well (nuts, washers, upper strut mounts, spring pads, etc...). Total parts cost was just under $500 and I did the labor for the install.

My Cars
    05 325i_99 323IS_94 325i
    If you want to find out how your struts/shocks are, just put your hands on the trunk (do the same on the front) make sure of course not to push on anything thats going to cave in, and push down on it really hard, or just use your body weight, whatever works.
    The point being that if your car bounces 1 and stops, then your struts/shocks are good. If it keeps bouncing, then there shot. Your shock is what keeps your car from bouncing up and down on the springs, If you have ever seen a slammed Cholo ride bouncing up and down like mad, then you know what your looking for (or just watch a cheech and chong movie, and look at cheech's car)

Honestly if your going to change your struts/ shocks, then now would be a good time to get springs as well! It's pretty much the exact same amount of work, and you can get a really good deal this way. The Vogtland combo can be had for $400, and comes with Struts/Shocks and all 4 springs. It will lower your car just a few inches (if that) and is what most people would be happy with, Improve your handling....Along with Retaining pretty much the same ride quality as before.
    If you want your car really low, and very good handling, and you don't mind a stiff ride, then a set of Raceland/Rokkor (there the same poduct) Coliovers may be just what the doctor ordered. Again you get all 4 shocks/struts along with the coilovers, and that will cost you $300-$350.

You can get the Vogtland set at the link below, and Im sure someone else knows the best place to get the coilovers. You will be getting much, much better shocks and struts with the Vogltand kit Vs. Monroes, and you could even just buy the kit, and then sell the springs for $150 on here or on Ebay if you don't want to change them, and save yourself a few bucks in the process.
    http://www.ultrarev.com/960039-vl.html

For Sale: (E36) Trans ECU, OEM amber corners, Stock Mirrors, stock amp,E46 Amp, Need to Use an SRS Reset / E36Code puller? E46 Programming Module PM me
    Wanted: E46 Post facelift Carbon Fiber Hood. Have and E36/46 problem..MSG ME. I would be glad to help you out!

Want error free LED License plate lights for less? Go here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21079814

My Cars
    1998 328iC

Thumbs up Bilstein Touring class+++

I can second the thoughts on Bilstein TC's.They are really good...not too stiff,but great control.Try Autopartswarehouse.com Search online for their coupons(usually 20% off)I got my struts for $84 each with free shipping.In my research last year, found that most hate KYB and Monroe(very harsh ride).IMO if you put on TC's all around you will be able to use that as a selling point when you move the car....not so with Ebay,Monroe or "off" brands.Good luck...hope this helps
    Last edited by Mr onetwo; 03-26-2011 at 12:56 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325is
    If you are in need of cheap suspension, it's probably not a good idea to go cheaper than monroes. Chinese parts may last a while for some, but they also deteriorate at as low as 3,000 miles for others (chinese ball joints, etc.).

Honestly, ebay parts aren't even that much cheaper than monroes. I found monroe struts for 70$ (ea.) and monro shocks at 35$ (ea.), both with free shipping.

The total for monroes is $210 versus the $175 ebay kit. If you're going the cheap route, I think monroe is the best quality supplier for the money.

My Cars
    e39 M5 e39 540i6 e83 e53
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr onetwo View Post
    I can second the thoughts on Bilstein TC's.They are really good...not too stiff,but great control.Try Autopartswarehouse.com Search online for their coupons(usually 20% off)I got my struts for $58 each with free shipping.In my research last year, found that most hate KYB and Monroe(very harsh ride).IMO if you put on TC's all around you will be able to use that as a selling point when you move the car....not so with Ebay,Monroe or "off" brands.Good luck...hope this helps
    That's where I got mine from too

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    ^^^ Me too, like 2 days shipping to the midwest.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    1998 328iC
    Another thought on Ebay stuff.I changed inner and outer tierod ends on my vert and bought them on Ebay after finding out that they were made in Germany by Hamburg Technic(OEM supplier for european vehicles). They are better than Lemforder at half the price! Just a thought....do your research before buying!!!

My Cars
    E39
    nothin is better than the Lems^

I second the bilstein tourings, they aren't much more expensive than the monroes
    Editing by: Blitz355

My Cars
    05 325i_99 323IS_94 325i
    Ebay can be an extremely good, or Bad thing....Depending on the part. Remember that Moron that swore up and down that an Ebay chip would be the best bet for his car after he put in new cams? and no matter what we told him, He just would not believe his motor would, or could be damaged?

For Sale: (E36) Trans ECU, OEM amber corners, Stock Mirrors, stock amp,E46 Amp, Need to Use an SRS Reset / E36Code puller? E46 Programming Module PM me
    Wanted: E46 Post facelift Carbon Fiber Hood. Have and E36/46 problem..MSG ME. I would be glad to help you out!

Want error free LED License plate lights for less? Go here:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...4#post21079814

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Some of my parts have been the cheapest I could find and I will always tell people that they probably wont last as long. I desperately needed new shocks and struts and I just didn't have the extra $50-100 (or more) for anything other than what I bought.

I figure I'm at least a REALLY good source for the absolute rock bottom cheapest option. There is always someone looking for this even if its not the best way to go.

I offer information. Take it for what its worth. No more.... no less. I know first hand why the name "ebay" on anything isn't always a good thing but like I said...if you are on a super tight budget then take a look.

when I say I desparatly needed new shocks/struts.....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9a5Vl5-iIY[/ame]

My Cars
    1993 BMW Coupe
    Looks like it would make for a cushy ride, what are you complaining about!?

My Cars
    '96 328; '85 4Runner
    You pay extra for that kind of soft ride in a Lincoln Town Car!
    David M.
    '96 328 Sedan

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by paniolo View Post
    You pay extra for that kind of soft ride in a Lincoln Town Car!
    my minature tuna boat!!!!

My Cars
    96 328i sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Auto Parts Guy View Post
    I bought Bilstein Touring Class struts for $96 each w/ free shipping last year. Love em

Where?
    '03 530I M Sport black/black five speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast