Thread: How to reset service engine soon light?

My Cars
    740il

How to reset service engine soon light?

Anyone know the procedure or what i need to do to turn it off or reset it? Thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    You might want to help us out and give us your model year...or tell us if you're OBD I or OBD II.

Create a signature that gives your car's model, model year, and build date and it goes a long way in helping us to help you better.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    740il
    Hi the car is a 2001 sport with the wide screen Nav,not sure of the
    build date,or OBD 1 or 2.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740IL
    Same for mine I have a 2000 il not quite sure how to tell if it's obd 1 or 2 but really need to reset this light it's driving me nuts

My Cars
    2000 750iL
    it's on for a reason. go to auto zone and have them read the code and then fix what's wrong. it's only going to come back on if you don't. they may reset it for you but that's illegal in RI. So they have ME push the button lol.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740IL
    I took mine to autozone and it gave me two codes p1421/p1423 after much research I keep coming back to the secondary air pump but mines is working fine not clogged up no water in the hoses so I'm not sure what else to do

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmcwhipit View Post
    Hi the car is a 2001 sport with the wide screen Nav,not sure of the
    build date,or OBD 1 or 2.
    I recently learned that cars built in 1996 or after have OBDII.

As you open your drivers door, you should see the plate that will have info including VIN and build date.

My Cars
    01 740i Sport
    Your 2001 E38 740iA Sport is OBDII. Plug is located next to your cup holder, forward of your shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JOSHUA J. HAYES
    S E A T T L E, W A.
    2001 BMW E38 740iA Sport
    1974 Mazda Rotary Engine PU

My Cars
    740il
    Thanks ,my gas cap feels a little loose maybe thats what it is,the car seems to run
    normal and very smooth. i hope thats all it is.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    There's no reason to have to guess. I believe that VA does not have any rules or laws that prohibits vendors from hooking up OBD II scanner/readers. So as RI mentioned...you can take your car to AuotZone (or many other auto parts stores)...and they will read the OBD II fault codes for free.

The SES/CEL lights illuminates when a fault code has been registered in one of your car's emissions systems...it could be any one or more of HUNDREDS of codes...so "guessing" is really serves no purpose....especially when you can have the code(s) pulled for free which will point you in the right direction.

When removing the wood trim piece that covers the OBD II connector...make sure that you reach back far enough and pull up on the small black piece seen in the image below...many e38 owners have pulled the wood trim off its backing when not pulling the piece off with the little tab that facilitates its removal:

When you open your driver's door...there are TWO labels that contain lots of information...one is the VIN/mfg date label (seen above the latch in the pic below) which also has your car's manufacture date on it (month/year)...and the other is the tire inflation/wheel chart (in red box) that has the BMW recommended tire sizes and tire inflation info:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750IL

Reset Service Engine Soon Light

So how do we reset the light? Or will it clear itself after the cause is located and corrected?

My Cars
    2001 Bmw 740i sport
    I had the same problem on my 2001 740i sport 2 weeks ago,after filling gas as i was driving the engine service soon light came on,i stopped at a nearest autopart i told them the issues ,they say your gas cap mighty be loose,so i opened it and closed it tighty till i head a click and i also removed boths batteries terminals waited for 10 good minutes and then connected the batteries then i started the car,the (service engine soon light ) went away all was good,maybe u can try that good luck

My Cars
    2001 740i (sport)
    after removing that wood covered plastic cover to access the OBDii port, there is another cover "welded" onto to port. What is the trick to removing this. I tried to gently pry it off. I didn't want to pry with too much pressure & end up breaking something. I tried pushing , pulling, twisting, rubbing, asking nicely, asking meanly, nothing resembling opening occurred.

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
    after removing that wood covered plastic cover to access the OBDii port, there is another cover "welded" onto to port. What is the trick to removing this. I tried to gently pry it off. I didn't want to pry with too much pressure & end up breaking something. I tried pushing , pulling, twisting, rubbing, asking nicely, asking meanly, nothing resembling opening occurred.
    Just pull straight off.
    See my E38 parts for sale on eBay: click here!
    PM me here for a 5% discount on any of them!

My Cars
    1999 BMW 750il
    Mine was difficult the first time I had to get it off my car, but it needs a good forward yank. I thought I broke my cupholders doing this at first. Luckily, they retracted as they should.
    1999 BMW 750il - 128k, Black on Black - mods - bixenon retrofit, DUDMD tune, LED tail lights and side signals, euro front signals, updated trunk chrome, Mk4 navigation, TCU bluetooth, 3.15 diff, M-parallels, voice recognition, xboss homelink

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by kcimos View Post
    Did you pull just the wood off...or did you reach back far enough to the little pull tab on the bottom of the cover (like mentioned in my post above from a few years ago? Sorry that the pic didn't appear...lets try it now:

If the plastic securing cover is still on the pin connector...try using needle-nosed pliars to slip it off. As mentioned...it just slides over the pins for protection:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 06-26-2015 at 07:37 PM.