Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Locked inside my car

My Cars
    90 €850i /04 545/08 335

Locked inside my car

last night I unlocked my car got in closed door put key in ignition turn key no crank. All cluster lights are on I try again nothing. So I go to open door to check fuses,only door is locked and will not open I pull lock pin up pull handle nothing. I try all door nothing. Great I am locked in my car quite strange. I try windows no power sunroof no power. Cluster is still lighing up radio works ,ac works, interior lights work horn works. long an short I call AAA and let them know they have never heard of some one locked in a car. Tow truck comes 45 min later I am still in car. He says never seen this I tell him to check fuses for me as I pop hood. He is clueless to what I am asking. He finally says he has to call police. They arrive and I actually know one of them. After trying to open door Nothing I am now on an hour and 15 mins in car. I am a minute away from breaking a window. I decide to push soonroof open in tilt postion enough to pass my key to officer. He puts key in door, door opens all systems are normal car then starts right up.. What the hell just happened. I have never been locked in a car and not been able to open the door no matter what. What caused this and why would it be impossible to open door I am not closterphobic but what if this happened in an accident. Any Input Please.

Thanks

My Cars
    95 540i, 87 325i vert
    Your car hates you. No seriously, I have no idea. I locked my wife in one night when she was drunk so she couldn't walk off, man was she pissed,lol.

My Cars
    03 M3
    ?? alarm system went haywire

My Cars
    93 525ia, 92 535it/5
    Sounds like maybe a fault in the central locking system, or maybe the cylinder in the door was not fully unlocked.

It actually says in the owners manual NOT to lock the doors with someone inside, as they WILL NOT be able to get out. Did you maybe hit the lock button before you got the key in the ignition ?

My Cars
    95 525i, 05 545i/6
    Is your car named "Christine"?

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    I LOL'D when I read this .... sorry man but thats hilarious. I can only imagine the 911 operator.

You know your in an E34 when.....
    * Discounted Price * Style 8 Wheels, Brembo Rotors, Stainless Brake Lines ETC. For Sale All New.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post21382181

My Cars
    1995 M5T Elekta
    and then you woke up right?

My Cars
    90 €850i /04 545/08 335
    Luckily I am a patient person but Yes this was pretty damm funny especially for the wife and kids busting my chops.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 525i
    Lol Im glad you made it out without loosing your mind though. I'm not sure I would have made it that long.
    * Discounted Price * Style 8 Wheels, Brembo Rotors, Stainless Brake Lines ETC. For Sale All New.
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1#post21382181

My Cars
    97' 328i, 01' 320i
    Wow!! that is realy strange indeed. I have no idea of what could have happen... Good idea to pry open the sunroof!! ill keep that in mind if im ever locked in

I'm surprised window didin work if cluster lighted up and everything... My bet is on the alarm device, if you have any.. Or the car double locked itself anyhow, and you got stock. as to No start? I dont know. Someone have to try and double lock someone in with the spare key so he can try to start the car and see if it work.
    Error 404

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    I'm very curious to this. I have actually been locked in my car but not in that situation. I was at the mercy of my little brother haha My car does it if the passenger door is locked with the key, then all doors lock and can not be unlocked unless the passenger side door is unlocked with the key. I used to press the lock down on that side and it would come back up immediately. Only lately has it started opening from the inside but still has to be locked from the outside. The keyless entry has no influence on that side at all. When I leave it unlocked and try to lock it with the key, it locks all doors then unlock until the second attempt, which then still leaves my passenger side door unlocked... Annoying.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Double locked inside... interesting. I'd always wondered what it would be like to be double locked inside an e34 and even have a key in your hand.

DUDMD is offline BMW Maniac Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    95-540i/6 98-750iL
    This is actually kind of funny.
    Try having your sunroof always tilted up a little or drivers window car down some from now on.
    Performance Tuning and EWS Delete for MSS52/MSS54/MSS54HP/MS41/MS42/MS43/ME7.2/M5.2
    Virgnize DME service available to unlock DME to sync to another vehicle on EWS3 vehicles 98+. M5.2.1, M7.2, MS42, MS43, MS45, ME9.2 and more.

Easiest way to contact me is to send me a message on my facebook page "DUDMD Tuning"

My Cars
    Kansas City,MO
    wow. That was funny but crappy for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimped525 View Post
    Heater stays on and think water pump is. Leaking also smell of fuel after caneing it about any ideas guys

My Cars
    1992 740I
    Go to dealer with your vin and registration, they had my key the next day.

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    mine double locks me inside on a daily basis, i have to roll the window down and use my spare key to unlock the car from the outside

PITA

also you know you can manually open your sunroof right?

My Cars
    2003 325i
    I lock my friends in my car all the time. It's pretty fun. That does suck though, my only guess is that somehow it got double locked. You may want to get some sort of keyless entry system, although you'd still be screwed if your entire electrical system went down.

Quote Originally Posted by pennpen View Post
    also you know you can manually open your sunroof right?
    How do you do this?

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Wow. Electrical gremlins are, sadly, the swan song of a car for me. Once these "anamolies" start rearing thier ugly heads and especially if safety is compromised (imagine if there had actually been an emergency) then no matter how much I appreciate a car, I have to question if it's what I need to be driving.

Glad it worked out well, but that's pretty odd overall.
    2002 525i 5-speed. 111k and just getting going.
    Build date: 05/2002

My Cars
    95 540i, 87 325i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaganr34 View Post
    I lock my friends in my car all the time. It's pretty fun. That does suck though, my only guess is that somehow it got double locked. You may want to get some sort of keyless entry system, although you'd still be screwed if your entire electrical system went down.
    Keyless entry won't do anything against the good ol double lock although I would like to hear more about opening the sunroof manually. OP has me scared.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    You pop the cover on the sunroof motor and you can use the allen wrench in the trunk to operate the motor manually. You would need to keep this tool in the car with you instead of the tool box for this to work.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    93' Turbo e34, 04' Ram
    that's insane! lol. Sucks. But what a story. lol. SOunds like the beginning of a Criminal Minds episode or Saw or something.

TRM Turbo, Hybrid Audio Technologies stereo, S50 Cams, list goes on and on and on...

My Cars
    BMW E30 E36 E34 E39 E38
    mine locked me in during a failed attempt to sync all my remotes on my 95. another time, the alarm system went haywire when i was replacing the electrochromatic rear view mirror without disconnecting the battery. right now, whenever i work on anything one the car whether electrical or not, i always leave one window open.

My Cars
    Bimmers and Ducs
    Last edited by Boom n Zoom; 02-18-2011 at 11:25 PM.

PB Lap Times:
    QR
    (Clubman Circuit) 1:12.5, Now 1:09.3
    (Sprint Circuit) 1:06.8
    (National Circuit) 1:32.3

(on Street tyres, Koni 'Yellows', Eibach sport springs, S3.45, RD Sways, 4-Wheel Camber and Toe adjustability ... oh and a 5 speed Automatic )

Lakeside Park: 1:07.4, Now 1:06.9 as of the 02/09/11 (with R-Comp Tyres)

My Cars
    1992 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    You pop the cover on the sunroof motor and you can use the allen wrench in the trunk to operate the motor manually. You would need to keep this tool in the car with you instead of the tool box for this to work.
    Very good point, thats why I keep that tool in the glove box.
    =(||)(||)=

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgreensr View Post
    Keyless entry won't do anything against the good ol double lock
    The keyless entry on my 740 will double lock and un-double lock the car. It's the same Alpine unit used on E34's.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBimmer View Post
    My allen wrench is clipped to the back of the sunroof motor cover. Maybe that's just a touring thing? Seems like a better idea. I wonder if all panels have the clips there to hold it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast