Thread: Cannot remove window regulator from door, need help to fix it! How?

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring

Cannot remove window regulator from door, need help to fix it!DIY doesnt work in here

Cannot remove window regulator from door, need help to fix it! How?
    Well guys, i am trying to fix my rear right side window regulator but i have some issues in here i cant get this well done without help.

My window regulator has started making some noise like some sort of "click clack, click clack" when i push the button....i mean....is this motor problem or what !?!?! Just does this noise and doesnt move...so i guess its time to repair...

I have a problem....my window its all way up...ok...so i cannot even thing on follow any DIY....i found in net....cause it wont work..

So....window all closed...no way to remove window....so i tried to remove window regulator with my window closed...

I started to remove the motor...i cant...have a bolt knocked out...i mean...i cannot remove one bolt.....so i cant even remove the motor alone...

I suspect my window regulator has been fixed once in time...motor cable/wiring is changed...i mean...they fixed and i guess they changed wires...i guess its PRE or POST restyling motor....

Well after removing all bolts....i can....from the window regulator....and since i cant remove my window....i tried to rotate the window regulator to remove it....i cant....the regulator its stucked on the window....well its kind expected...since the window and regulator are longtime friends...

Now, after these long story....what can i do....i dont even know what is the main problem...motor or other thing...can i remove the regulator in pieces...i mean...try to get it by parts without cutting any cable ?!?! And if i had to cut any cable, is it possible to fix it ?

I mean, i wanna do anything that wont need too much money to fix....after all i may have to also replace motor or window regulator completely....but if i can fix it...will do it...

Thats from my left door but in the right door i have one like these...same issue...i guess its post restyling...cause they changed wiring too..

From my right door, the one i need to fix.....the holes are damaged...i guess last time they fix it...they made it wrong...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 528i tourer; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Did you perform a search on this forum? I found over 7 pages of posts on the subject of "rear window regulator".

The window is removed by first removing the black metal strip that separates the two windows in the door.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    Quote Originally Posted by edjack View Post
    Did you perform a search on this forum? I found over 7 pages of posts on the subject of "rear window regulator".

The window is removed by first removing the black metal strip that separates the two windows in the door.
    Yeah! Sure i read all those DIY over the forum and net...my problem as i said is that i can even move my window on the regulator...cause it doesnt work...so i cannot even remove those black metal strips...

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    You have to cut the cable and you can get the window to move.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    You have to cut the cable and you can get the window to move.

Well now i am....

Ok i have to cut the gray cable in there....on the photo...then i can move the window....how....i dont wanna break that window glass....

I mean...the window is above a plastic piece, i can try to move the window from there and then lower it....manually.....and cable....i can fix it...its just like those bike cables....and its just replace the cable for another one....and what about tension issues on cables....

My Cars
    E31 & E39
    Once you cut the cable, you will have to buy a new regulator, so prepare to spend at least $75 to replace it. If you can successfully replace the cable after you've cut it, then you're a better man than I am...

My Cars
    97 SC 540ia / 09 TL SH
    Got to love that awesome engineering,

fully loaded e39 when new = 50+k

with various parts made cheaper then that of a Ford Tempo

I had to change the regulators and clips on both rear windows, after I was completed I had severe swelling on my arms

good luck amigo

My Cars
    2000 540i

replacing window regs

Its a piece of cake to replace them I have arms like popeye and thick hands and I did all four windows in the same day. there is a blog on Bimmer Forums that helped me from start to finish, Just look for it

My Cars
    2001 ML430
    How is your repairs? PM me if you need any assistance with parts.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    I am on standby situation since i dont know what to do....no way to remove these...cause window is stuck....

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Quote Originally Posted by 528i tourer View Post
    Well now i am....

Ok i have to cut the gray cable in there....on the photo...then i can move the window....how....i dont wanna break that window glass....

I mean...the window is above a plastic piece, i can try to move the window from there and then lower it....manually.....and cable....i can fix it...its just like those bike cables....and its just replace the cable for another one....and what about tension issues on cables....
    Just a pair of wire cutters and then the window will move by hand. You have to remove the window to get to the top regulator bolts. The glass is in the way. Search for DIY's on it. I don't think you will be fixing the regulator. Get one at regulatorusa.com

My Cars
    77 630CSi, 88 325I, 96 7
    Did you try holding down the switch for the window while manually pushing it down. May work without having to cut the cable.
    "On the freeway @ +120- in everyday conditions"

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    I replaced my regulators a few months ago, you have to remove the inner trim between the windows, it just pries off. Take out a couple screws i think it was that holds the outer trim in place. Move the window up or down untill you can get at the bolts that hold the window to the carriage, they go through holes in the window so must be taken out completely. Pull the window up and out of the car toward the outside. Remove the bolts at the pulley locations of the regulator and maybe a couple on the motor bracket and the regulator will come out with the motor. Unhook the wiring plug somewhere in the removal and install a new regulator. If the new regulator did not come with a motor you can swap the old one once its out. It has been a few months but i dont think i missed much, hope it helps.

This looked like a good link for more info. http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/W.../regulator.htm
    Last edited by Hivolt540; 01-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.

My Cars
    528itouring
    I hate these regulators. Either it be OEM or aftermarket, they are bound to fail. I don't even use my windows anymore fearing they may break again.

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by repandpresent View Post
    I don't even use my windows anymore fearing they may break again.
    When you think about it, Bimmerforums is a lot like a therapist when it comes to the E39.

I only have one regulator failure under my belt though.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    Quote Originally Posted by bmdubside View Post
    Did you try holding down the switch for the window while manually pushing it down. May work without having to cut the cable.
    Tried and didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hivolt540 View Post
    I replaced my regulators a few months ago, you have to remove the inner trim between the windows, it just pries off. Take out a couple screws i think it was that holds the outer trim in place. Move the window up or down untill you can get at the bolts that hold the window to the carriage, they go through holes in the window so must be taken out completely. Pull the window up and out of the car toward the outside. Remove the bolts at the pulley locations of the regulator and maybe a couple on the motor bracket and the regulator will come out with the motor. Unhook the wiring plug somewhere in the removal and install a new regulator. If the new regulator did not come with a motor you can swap the old one once its out. It has been a few months but i dont think i missed much, hope it helps.

This looked like a good link for more info. http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/W.../regulator.htm
    I have removed all trims, except the one that goes on the opposite side of the window (i mean, near pillar B, cause the window doesnt leave me to remove it. The problem is that i cannot move my window manually without getting all these trims out...and even then i dont know if i can remove cause that plastic piece under the window, the one from the regulator...also gives me trouble....

So i would like to try to just see if its motor instead of removing all....i have a multimeter, dont know what to measure!!!!
    Last edited by 528i tourer; 01-28-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E31 & E39
    I believe you can remove the motor and separate it from the window regulator. I'm not at home right now so I'm having to remember this from memory, but you can separate the motor from the plastic gear case mechanism. 1st, remove the 4 screws that hold the motor to the door frame. Turn it over and remove the 6 (?) screws and separate them. Then plug your electical harness back into the motor and press the window switch. If the motor doesn't turn, then it is bad.

I will warn you that when you separate the two, there is a good chance the spool that contains the cabling with unravel. If you can keep the spool and the cabling intact, then it would be beneficial - in case the motor is bad and not the regulator, but I'm thinking the regulator is the issue and not the motor - but you won't know that until you test it.
    Last edited by danieldd; 01-28-2011 at 09:27 AM.

My Cars
    1999 540iA Sport (11/98)
    May try swapping switches with another door, see if that is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 528i tourer View Post

So i would like to try to just see if its motor instead of removing all....i have a multimeter, dont know what to measure!!!!
    Motors typically will have a small amount of resistance due to the length of wire in the winding, you could test for voltage at the plug when you operate the switch. Should be able to read 12 volts dc if its getting power, by unplugging the motor and see if your meter leads will go into the plug while you try the switch.
    Last edited by Hivolt540; 01-28-2011 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E31 & E39

Motors typically will have a small amount of resistance due to the length of wire in the winding, you could test for voltage at the plug when you operate the switch. Should be able to read 12 volts dc if its getting power, by unplugging the motor and see if your meter leads will go into the plug while you try the switch.
    This is a good test to try before separating the motor from the gear case.

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    Quote Originally Posted by danieldd View Post
    I believe you can remove the motor and separate it from the window regulator. I'm not at home right now so I'm having to remember this from memory, but you can separate the motor from the plastic gear case mechanism. 1st, remove the 4 screws that hold the motor to the door frame. Turn it over and remove the 6 (?) screws and separate them. Then plug your electical harness back into the motor and press the window switch. If the motor doesn't turn, then it is bad.

I will warn you that when you separate the two, there is a good chance the spool that contains the cabling with unravel. If you can keep the spool and the cabling intact, then it would be beneficial - in case the motor is bad and not the regulator, but I'm thinking the regulator is the issue and not the motor - but you won't know that until you test it.
    I removed all srews i can and i can see too...except one....the one thats damaged on the motor....and i can get to it....its out of reach....so here is the main problem...not even can remove the motor....

In fact i tried to remove the regulator but can even remove it....the window its pressing in and i dont wanna force it.....i am on standby...

I think its not probably the motor too....but ......i cant get to regulator rear to see whats there and know if anything its wrong with it

Well can i cut the cable and fix it then....could i lower the window in these case without cable....I am trying to fix in the best/less costly way....I dont wanna buy anything before i can see what goes wrong....and for now not even can remove it.....so...

THANKS!!

Switches already tested..its not switch problem....

How is the window switch control connected to the motor ?? I mean which wiring goes from the switch to the motor....
    Last edited by 528i tourer; 01-28-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88,m5 95 740 04 XI E90
    Cut the freakin cable and the window will go down. The regulators fail all of the time. Motor should be fine. Too much talk not enough action!

My Cars
    BMW E39 528i touring
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwbob89 View Post
    Cut the freakin cable and the window will go down. The regulators fail all of the time. Motor should be fine. Too much talk not enough action!
    Take it easy....i dont have regulator in here to spend.... so i dont wanna spend that money without having sure.....and of course i dont even know if its regulator or motor....and of course i even cannot remove the regulatorthats my main problem....

My Cars
    1998 540
    it will not be the motor. I just replaced 2 rears and rebuilt driver's front,
    some points that my help you.
    -cut the wires if it's stuck to move your window,you can't fix the reg.because either the wire bead lug on the back has broken the casting(bad design)in which the window is housed or the pulley wheel (plastic) is broken jamming the wire.
    -you can use a fair bit of force, the windows are toughened glass.
    - if the window is still stuck the something is hindering it which needs removing.
    -if still no success you slide rail is bent/damaged/caught so the casting that the window is bolted to will not slide which requires you to cut (grinder), bend (pliers).
    hope this helps.