Thread: DIY: Say Bye Bye To Night Vision Goggles. ZKW Content. Easiest Retrofit Ever !

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport

DIY: Say Bye Bye To Night Vision Goggles. ZKW Content. Easiest Retrofit Ever !

Hey all.

In this diy I'll try to show you how to do a retrofit into your ZKW headlights so that you can see again at night.

A little background, I own a 03 330i M-Sport and it was unfortunate that this car has ZKW headlights which are completely burnt. Just to give you an idea of how bad it was, when I turn on my low beams at night , it would be like nothing happened. I would sit in my car in the darkness, then turn on the headlights and I couldnt even see past 2 feet away from my car. Everyone who rides with me told me to turn on my headlights, and when I tell them "they're on" they get confused as they couldnt see anything. I've been using my 5000k fogs, while I tried to figure out solution.

Below are my headlights. Car and headlights build in May of '03.
    ">
    ">">

My options were:
    -Get new projectors and retrofit them in the housing
    -Send it to someone, who will do the same thing, which is dumb.

What I did was different and very easy, I put in coupe AL/Bosch projector frame with Bosch projector.

Here is a picture of what I bought, its a complete AL/Bosch bi-xenon frame with everything (shroud, bulb holders) from a coupe. (by my understanding coupe and sedans ALL had the same frames, given they are both bi-xenon and made by AL/Bosch)
    This is exactly what I bought from this seller. He has an option "Make an Offer" I did, $110 and he agreed. http://cgi.ebay.ca/02-05-BMW-E46-BIXENON-PROJECTORS-D2S-BEZELS-SHROUDS-/160523823063?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item255ff727d7
    ">">
    I scored these frames on eBay for $110+ postage, which I think is a good price, given that a pair of projectors only usually costs $90.

***Before we start, ZKW frame is Yellow/Brownish like color and AL/Bosch is White. Remember this.

Anyway, onto the DIY.

What you'll need:
    -Pair of AL/Bosch frames with projectors
    -2 wire to 3 wire adapter, so that you can connect your high beams and use your bi-xenon. I bought mine from here http://www.wolstentech.com/products/bixenon/bixenon.php
    -Tape (painters or electric )
    -Knife (a good quality carpet knife)
    -Flat head screwdriver
    -Torx screwdriver
    -Super glue (in case you brake something and need to put in back)

What you DONT need:
    -Dremel
    -JB weld
    -Skill
    -Lots of money

Zkw frame and AL/Bosch frame have the SAME mounting points for the headlight housing, BUT it wouldnt be a retrofit if there wasnt some cutting. The only part that needs to be trimmed/cut is the Top Angular adjustment bracket on AL/Bosch(make sure that the frame you buy will come with it) I'll explain the process later.

Onto some pics.
    ">">
    ^ZKW on the left, AL on the right
    ">">
    ^ZKW frame
    ">">
    ^AL frame.

">">
    If you notice on these pictures ZKW has a ball like pivot point on the top left part of the frame that is molded into the frame itselt, BUT the AL frame has a bracket that is detachment from the frame and also is a ball like pivot point(that little white bracket is the ONLY part that needs to be modified )

Ok, lets start by dissembling the housing
    ">

Start by removing the weather stripping
    ">
    Then remove the lens (just undo the clips that run along the lens with a flathead screwdriver, but make sure you put some tape on the tip, so you dont scratch the lens )
    ">">

Then remove the trim inside (4 clips at each corner, just pull out) and your angel eyes(if any)

Now, lets go to the top of the housing.
    ">">
    Get your Torx driver and turn these knobs Clockwise until they cant go anymore, I forgot which one was is, maybe a T25 or T27.

From the back of the housing, remove the 2 dust caps.
    ">
    Now you will have access to the back of the frame.

">
    In order to remove the frame you need to undo this ^^top clip with a thin flathead driver(very simple, 2 tiny clips on each side, you have access to both sides since you removed the 2 dust caps.)

">
    Now you need to take that auto leveler arm out of its bracket, the way you do this is you need to stick a big Flathead driver into it and with your other hand pull the frame outward. You can also try prying the arm down.

">
    The frame will pop out, be sure to be ready to catch it(I know I wasnt and it just dropped on the floor, lol)

Ok, now look at the picture below. It shows AL fame and the part that I called "ball like pivot" that needs to be modified.
    ">

Why does it need to be modified? Because the "ball like" part is a little to big, also the bracket itself needs a little shaving.

">
    The bracket is removed by prying it with a little flathead.^^

">">
    Now go back to the housing and remove the bracket where the "ball like" bracket needs to fit it. This will make it very easy to test and fit.
    To remove the bracket, use your little flathead and first pry off the little metal clip then pry the bracket off.

The bracket needs to be trimmed in the following areas:
    -the ball pivot needs to be a smaller diameter(just keep cutting and making it smaller, at the same time test if it fits into the bracket ). Note here: the movement should
    be free/loose. If its tight, trim some more.

">">

You also need to trim a bit of the bracket itself. Cut away the red shaded area.
    ">
    ">
    This ^ is how the bracket needs to look.

">">

Here ^^^ is a picture of both brackets fit together.

Now you need to put the frame back into the housing.
    ">
    ">
    First start by putting some tape on the middle top mounting point as its a little to small and will be loose, dont put alot of tape, just a bit. Put the Top side bracket back on and make sure that the top side bracket is all the way in and the center top bracket is all the way out. * the picture shows otherwise BUT dont mind it, I tried both ways and the ONLY way to put the frame back into the housing is by twisting the knobs to get the Top Side bracket all the way in and Top Center all the way out.

Now you need to get the Auto leveling arm back into its bracket, do this by prying it UP and pushing the frame in (as opposed to prying in down and pushing the frame out when removing)

Now cut off the bi-xenon connector from your ZKW and strip the wires, take your 2 to 3 wire adapters and connect the 2 ZKW wires to 3 from AL.

">

Note here *** Green wire from ZKW is Ground (-) the rest is straight forward, as the adapters are marked.

Reinstall in reverse.

Done!

Here are some random pictures, hope this helps anyone trying to get rid of their night vision goggles.
    ">

">
    Please excuse my grammar mistakes and thanks for viewing.

Cliff notes : retrofit zkw AL Bosch lens cut off diy burnt projector housing
    Last edited by Blocked Out; 03-22-2011 at 10:38 AM.

aka fonz is offline License Revoked BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    deutsche warrior
    well done sir!! pics from end result/ lighting comparisons??

My Cars
    2005 330i ZHP

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Damn fine job right there.

You sure you don't have a zhp?

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by aka fonz View Post
    well done sir!! pics from end result/ lighting comparisons??
    I will post pictures later, but its nothing exceptional. The light output is the same as any other Bosch equipped E46s.

Quote Originally Posted by jjcools View Post
    Nice!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn fine job right there.

You sure you don't have a zhp?
    Thank you.

No, I dont have a ZHP. I drive an M-Sport 330i, it has every single option that a factory US ZHP has but cams and 3.15 diff.Everything else is the same, suspension was the same (control arms, dampers, 23.5 sway, everything...), interior (old owner opted for leather instead of alcantara ) exterior. But since I have a 3.38 diff and my car has more HP then a factory ZHP you could say that I do have a ZHP.

Here are some pics of it http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1313
    Last edited by Blocked Out; 01-09-2011 at 10:44 PM.

My Cars
    '09 E92 335, '05 330 ZHP
    Nice work, Blocked.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
    I will post pictures later, but its nothing exceptional. The light output is the same as any other Bosch equipped E46s.

Thank you.

No, I dont have a ZHP. I drive an M-Sport 330i, it has every single option that a factory US ZHP has but cams and 3.15 diff.Everything else is the same, suspension was the same (control arms, dampers, 23.5 sway, everything...), interior (old owner opted for leather instead of alcantara ) exterior. But since I have a 3.38 diff and my car has more HP then a factory ZHP you could say that I do have a ZHP.

Here are some pics of it http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...p?albumid=1313
    OK.....took a quick glance at the rims and thought they were 135's (clearly not-nice sig)

My Cars
    Yes
    Nicely done!

Have you checked to make sure the AL frames don't bind when the auto-leveling motors do their self-test?

Also, there are some AL/Bosch projectors that have just two wires for the bi-xenon solenoid. The WolstenTech adapter is not required for the two-wire solenoid. The WolstenTech page tells you how to identify the two-wire solenoids before purchasing. If you get projectors with the two-wire solenoid, the plug in the ZKW housing appears to be a direct fit to the receptacle on the AL solenoid - but you'll have to reposition the pins in the ZKW connector before plugging it into the AL solenoid.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    Nicely done!
    Damn OP....you just got a "triple clap" from G.P.

My Cars
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn OP....you just got a "triple clap" from G.P.

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
    Nicely done!

Have you checked to make sure the AL frames don't bind when the auto-leveling motors do their self-test?

Also, there are some AL/Bosch projectors that have just two wires for the bi-xenon solenoid. The WolstenTech adapter is not required for the two-wire solenoid. The WolstenTech page tells you how to identify the two-wire solenoids before purchasing. If you get projectors with the two-wire solenoid, the plug in the ZKW housing appears to be a direct fit to the receptacle on the AL solenoid - but you'll have to reposition the pins in the ZKW connector before plugging it into the AL solenoid.
    Thanks.

Yes, I did make sure that AL frame doesnt bind with anything when the auto level activates. The frame doesnt hit anything, but people should note that depending on what type/size/thickness angel eyes they have, some may encounter some contact of the angel eyes with the inside trim. I, myself have LED angel eyes from Khoalty and all is fine.

I was aware of some Bosch projectors having 2 wires just like ZKW, but I've yet to see those ones on E46. All E46 bosch projectors that I've see on internet forums and eBay have 3 wires.

There are however some E93 M3 and Benz Bosch projectors that have 2 wires on eBay for sale. I do agree that one should check if they have 2 or 3 wires for the bi-xenon BEFORE ordering an adapter.

My Cars
    MKIV VR6,MKV VW, E46
    so you basically put the AL fram in the ZKW hedlights?

My Cars
    '03 330i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
    so you basically put the AL fram in the ZKW hedlights?
    Correct.

I later put my old ZKW lenses in the new Bosch projectors for a sharper, crispier cut off and over all look.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Correct.

I later put my old ZKW lenses in the new Bosch projectors for a sharper, crispier cut off and over all look.
    Same

I followed this when I did my retrofit a few months ago

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    1999 323I
    I just want to say thank you to the OP for this. I have only done one side thus far (having trouble sourcing parts) but I am hopeful I will have them soon.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I just want to say thank you to the OP for this. I have only done one side thus far (having trouble sourcing parts) but I am hopeful I will have them soon.
    Which side do you need? I have an extra driver side

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330i
    I just did the retrofit and my beam won't come up to the proper hight. Nothing is binding and the auto level performs the startup self check no problem. The two adjustment knobs work freely as well. I'm going to take it apart on my next day off I think I'll need to shave the back of the upper adjuster with the ball joint so it will retract farther. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My Cars
    BMW E46 325I -03
    How do you managed to put your high beam bulbs back? AL bulb holder is different than ZKW. I did this retrofit but i canīt put high beam bulbs back. Do you have more pictures from this project?

Edit:
    I solved the problem by cutting the AL bulb holder in half.

(Sorry my bad english...)
    Last edited by jukipuki; 09-13-2012 at 03:11 PM.

My Cars
    E30 & a ZHP
    What I did was different and very easy, I put in coupe AL/Bosch projector frame with Bosch projector.
    Would this retrofit not be easier using a set of AL's from an E46 sedan? Is it a whole lot more expensive to go that way, even if sourcing used assemblies?

My Cars
    92 325i & 03 TL-S
    I just did this retrofit. Thanks for the DIY Blocked. I have no clue what to do with my high beams. Mine AL projector set didn't come with a twisty cap that matches the back of the high beams. Any thoughts or suggestions (with pictures)? =)

Thanks,
    Chris

My Cars
    2003 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by vypercat View Post
    I just did this retrofit. Thanks for the DIY Blocked. I have no clue what to do with my high beams. Mine AL projector set didn't come with a twisty cap that matches the back of the high beams. Any thoughts or suggestions (with pictures)? =)

Thanks,
    Chris
    I'm about to start mine. Did you solve the high beam holder issue?

My Cars
    92 325i & 03 TL-S
    nope, I bought a matching high beam holder for $30 but sold the car before I could put it in. I was going to cut the old bulb holder and splice in the new ones.

My Cars
    02 wrx wagon, 00 9-5 aero
    I'm Looking forward to doing this over the weekend. I have the Wiring adapter kit, a set of AL projectors and frames, new headlight gaskets, and my burnt up bixenon ZKWs.

I'm not sure what everyone is talking about in regards to the high beam issue. I was under the impression that the high beam is driven off of the shutter on the xenon bulb.. What is the issue that you are all experiencing?

Thanks!