Thread: Clunking / Thumping Noise From Rear End

My Cars
    TSX, M3, RDX

Clunking / Thumping Noise From Rear End

Alright so the other day I notice a thump, thump, thump noise when I pull onto the Highway and I'm not on the gas (not under load) - coming from the drivers side rear. As soon as I touch the gas peddle the noise goes away. So I get home and check the following things.

Jack the car up and see if the wheel is loose or has any movement to it when pushing on the top or bottom. - No Movement

Check the shock tower mounts even though they have already been replaced. Those are good.

Remove the wheel and start looking around for anything out of the ordinary. Can't find anything that is missing, loose or cracked.

Check the the drive shaft and it looks to be centered and firmly in place.

Not sure what to do next, except to start taking things apart - which I don't want to do. It's definitely motion related as the noise will increase and decrease in speed as the car is moving.

So I turn to the internet in hopes of finding my answer - nothing yet.

Thoughts?

My Cars
    turbo m3, Z4M, M5,
    Try using a pry bar between your diff and your diff casing. If it is not solid and moves a bit then most likely your front diff bolt is bent and may soon snap.

My Cars
    81 323i Baur, 98 M3/4, 8
    Mine clunked on acceleration and then went away, and then a while later it cluncked all the time, which was right after the diff bolt snapped off....

Then it I had to pull the diff out to extract the broken bolt since there isn't engh room to do it in the car... I also went ahead and changed all the diff bushings since it was out, I have a friend with the right tools to press in and out the bushing under the car.

So hopefully you fix it before it breaks, it becomes a much larger problem if you don't fix it right away.

The Frozen Baur (AKA The Frozen Ground) now on Netflix (John Cussack is driving the Omega behind the Baur)

My Cars
    TSX, M3, RDX
    I'm going back under the car today and let you know what I find... I just want to figure it out already, it's annoying not knowing.

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    +1 for a diff bolt (bent/loose/already broken)

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Check your e-brake. Mine was clunking pretty bad and or was due to a loose e-brake.

My Cars
    95M3, 78 T/A
    It's probably not this but I chased down a 1 year rattle/clunk finally after a year and I had to rebuild my rear calipers.

95'///M3 Cosmos Black with AA intake, Gen III Exhaust, AA chip, BMP Front strut bar, Koni S/A's, H&R OE springs.
    Origin ID: RomCommm

My Cars
    1997 M3
    +1 on diff bolt. I'm on my third. modified a grade 8 construction bolt and washer to fit. works like a charm

My Cars
    2007 Z4MC
    Rear shock mount.
    1988 325ic Turbo | 1992 325is | 1995 M3 | 2007 Z4MC | 2008 Z4MC

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3, '02 Camry
    Might be your Rear Shock Mounts. Mine clunk so much. I have to replace them, but I'm waiting to get coilovers and just do it all at the same time.

My Cars
    TSX, M3, RDX
    Negative on the Shock Mounts - E46's with Z3 reinforcement plates / maybe blown struts? But it's rotation related and only makes the noise when coasting, clutch depressed etc so I don't think it's that though they need to be replaced.

Front Diff Bolt is on Tight with no apparent damage. I cannot get the rear end to budge with a pry-bar. All of the bushing look to be in good shape also.

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by PARZ M3 View Post
    Negative on the Shock Mounts - E46's with Z3 reinforcement plates / maybe blown struts? But it's rotation related and only makes the noise when coasting, clutch depressed etc so I don't think it's that though they need to be replaced.

Front Diff Bolt is on Tight with no apparent damage. I cannot get the rear end to budge with a pry-bar. All of the bushing look to be in good shape also.
    Try checking your e-brake like I said. I had the same issue, everything else was fine. Found out that the E-brake needed a little adjusting and bam, the clunking sound was gone.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3 Roadster

Any update?

Did you discover the cause of the problem? My '01 Z3 seems to have the same problem. It seems to be worse when I ease off the gas, like you described in your original post. Thanks.