Thread: Radio issues... advice please.

My Cars
    98 740i, 98 528i

Radio issues... advice please.

CD changer and all the speakers work fine, but the radio only works intermittently. Sometimes when i turn on the car it will work, sometimes it won't. When it does work it sometimes cuts out while driving and stops working again.

when it is not working, it won't catch any stations when i try to seek. it will just keep going through all the frequencies with no sound.

is this a common ignition switch issue? or something related to my antenna/connections?

the tape deck no longer works.

also, in the past i had problems that were, apparently, classic ignition switch ones. the MID would often not work at all until I restarted the car or played with the driver's sunshade light. that problem is no longer there, but now the radio doesn't work.

advice?

side note: my antenna got knocked off my back windshield years ago (when my boss wanted to do me a favor and clear snow off of it) but the radio always worked fine after that until recently.
    btw i'm parting out a 98 e39 528i - white 118k ran perfect, some front body damage = total out
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1154862

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Sounds like a antennae issue to me.
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Seen this a few times now - as Ice says, it's an antenna issue, it is actually where the antenna plugs into the radio module (far left side of the trunk, behind the carpet). They develop a fatigued joint on the antenna connection. It can be successfully repaired by re-flowing the joint.
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    9/98 D740iS
    ^ I'm listening...

My Cars
    98 740i, 03 Victory
    I do not think that this is an antenna issue. The radio is intermittent, and the tape deck does not work, but the cd changer works. I am pretty sure that the cassette player is the problem. This is a pretty typical problem for older cars.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by rmz
    side note: my antenna got knocked off my back windshield years ago (when my boss wanted to do me a favor and clear snow off of it) but the radio always worked fine after that until recently.
    Just an FYI: the antenna that was stuck to your rear windshield didn't have anything to do with your car's radio reception...that antenna was for your car's cellphone reception. The car's radio antenna is embedded into the rear windshield along with the defrost wires & antenna for the car's (FZV) keyless remote entry system:

But since you tell us you have a MID...that means that you have the in-dash cassette tape deck which is also your car's radio receiver (it's not in the back trunk area like those that have the Nav screen). Your radio antenna cables run from the antenna (built into the rear windshield) to an amp (#2) & a module (#1) in each C pillar...then the antenna cable (#3) runs up front to plug into the back of the cassette/radio receiver:

TIP: If you have another BMW or a friend that has a BMW from about 1993 to 1999 which has a "single DIN" BMW radio (one that's the same shape as your in-dash cassette/radio)...you can retract the wings that secures it into the dash (by turning the screws behind the little flap doors on each side counter-clockwise) and swap the radios. Your issue could be a failing radio receiver...and swapping in one that you know works...could easily verify this. The wiring harness is designed the same for the BMW single DIN [anti-theft] radios for just about the entire decade of the 90s...then BMW moved away to the separated components (MID/cass-tape/radio or MID/CD-radio or Nav/cass-tape w/radio in trunk) that are MODEL SPECIFIC

For example, a CD43 indash CD/radio or C33 indash cass/radio from an e36 or 34 or e32 can hook up to our cass tape/radio harness to test if the problem is your radio receiver:
    -
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    98 740iL,98 740i,95 525i
    I am pretty sure you need a new cassette/radio head unit. There is a guy on Ebay who fixes these radios. I went through two used ones until I found this guy and he fixed it perfect for about $80 and guarantees them. I can get his contact info if you want it. Don't waste your $ on used units. (no affiliation)
    1998 740iL, 1998 740i, 1995 525i 5 speed, 1995 325 5 speed

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740iL
    Humm...... Got me thinking - I had the non nav radio and replaced it with an aftermarket one. My radio signal is still awful. Can someone point me in the correct direction as to how I can resolve this?
    G.I. Joe

Vehicle:
    95 BMW 740iL
    20?,??? Miles (Broken ABS module) Lol
    (Thinking I will have a brand new car by the time I replace everything)

My Cars
    2/95 740i, 94 Suburban
    I was having the same problem with my radio replaced it with a good use one. Haven't had a problem since.