Thread: Not paying parking tickets - out of state driver

My Cars
    2001 330ci

Not paying parking tickets - out of state driver

What will happen if I don't pay parking tickets I received in NYC? I live in VA and has no plan on parking on the street in NYC again anytime soon. How long will they keep the record? I don't want to get my car towed the next time I park in NYC. Thanks all

My Cars
    2015 WRX, Bmw s1000r
    I think you would get towed if you got a ticket or pulled over in NY. Could even get arrested if my memory serves me right on the movie "In pursuit of Happyness." Didn't Will Smith get arrested for failure to pay his tickets?
    -Xtremsiege2-

My Cars
    95' bmw 525it
    if you don;t pay, plan on never coming to NY again. if you drive and they pull u over your car will be impounded and you will be arrested. if you are here and a cop stops you, if he runs your ID you will be arrested.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport
    If VA has an agreement with NY, they could suspend your license or registration, they will definitely issue a default judgment which will put your car on a tow list and could issue a bench warrant for your arrest. It could get very ugly plus with NY in the budget dilemma that it is in, they will most definitely exercise every option to get the money, including collection agencies and the like.
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport

My Cars
    e46 non-M, e36 ///M
    ^ I'm pretty sure NY and VA don't "talk". But like others have said, don't ever plan to drive in NY again. Just out of curiosity, but how much do you owe? Is it really worth it. If you do want to drive in NY again and don't pay them in a timely fashion it's just going to cost you more later.

~Leslie~
    ~euro.techniks~
    aka InLoveWithE46

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingTheLife View Post
    ^ I'm pretty sure NY and VA don't "talk".
    I was surprised to find out otherwise...

Quote Originally Posted by NYS DMV
    Reciprocity between states:

This is called the Drivers License Compact. Member states report tickets to other member states.
    Here is the list of states participating in this reciprocation agreement.
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport

My Cars
    e36, e39, e32, e30
    i believe thats the case with moving violations but not with parking tickets.
    www.facebook.com/mspecperformance
    ***Looking to buy past/back issues of Performance BMW Magazine!

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieH View Post
    i believe thats the case with moving violations but not with parking tickets.
    could be, it did not specify, but I did get a parking ticket in Chicago like 10 years ago, that popped up in license check here one time, luckily it was not a traffic stop, just a cop friend running my license for me. It probably depends on the severity and how many tickets are owed. Not something I would wanna chance though.
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport

Compactive is offline Helpful. BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    3x 318ti
    Just pay the petty fine I guess
    Want a custom signature? Post requests here, or PM me here | My Flickr

My Cars
    e24. and then some.
    its a parking ticket, not a traffic ticket. Its a big difference.

Dont plan on parking in ny ever again, and they will send a collection agency after you for the fine. Better off paying it.

My Cars
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks Factory View Post
    its a parking ticket, not a traffic ticket. Its a big difference.

Dont plan on parking in ny ever again, and they will send a collection agency after you for the fine. Better off paying it.

hopefully this will end the debate and provide the OP with accurate info once and for all....

From the NYC Parking Violations web site:

"Parking Tickets in Judgment

Drivers are required to pay or contest a parking ticket within 30 days from the date the ticket is issued to avoid penalties. If a driver requests a hearing, the time spent waiting does not count towards the number of days payment is due (or overdue). If there is no response or request for a hearing after 30 days, penalties are added to the original fine amount. After approximately 100 days, the City will enter a default judgment against the registered vehicle owner for the entire amount (fines and penalties) of any ticket that remains unanswered or unpaid. This information will also be turned over to collection agencies for recovery and reported to the registered vehicle owners home state DMV for license suspension.

Finance will not grant a hearing on judgment tickets more than one year old. You will be required to pay the entire outstanding amount for tickets that have been in default judgment for over one year.

You may request a hearing for tickets in default judgment (i.e. more than 100 days old) only if they are less than one year old from the judgement date. However, before you request a hearing on a ticket in default judgment for less than one year, you must complete and submit a Request for Hearing After Judgment form. On this form, explain why you did not respond to the tickets in time.

The Request for Hearing After Judgment can only be submitted by the person to whom the vehicle is registered or their authorized representative, and it can only be granted by an Administrative Law Judge."
    1995 540i/6 M-Sport

My Cars
    89 325ix - 02 M3
    Better off just paying the ticket and try to avoid them next time. Ive heard somewhere that they can come up on credit checks etc... since you owe money that you havent paid. Im sure one or two wont, but if you accumulate them in other states over time it could come back on you. Just pay em' and forget about it.

My Cars
    2015 WRX, Bmw s1000r
    Better not see a thread on needing a lawyer or loop holes around this in the future OP.
    -Xtremsiege2-