Thread: OBD error code P1553 - Engine Position System

My Cars
    2007 BMW 530xi

OBD error code P1553 - Engine Position System

Getting error code P1553 on my 2007 530xi. In the past week or two, the "Service Engine Soon" light has gone on and off a couple times, so I checked it out with my OBD II code reader. When looking the code up, it says "Engine Position System 'B' Performance (Bank 1)". Anyone know what this means?

Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    2006 325i
    Im getting it also on my 325i
    2006 325i Schwarz over Terra Leather....Navigation!

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325i w/ SP

Ever Diagnose the problem?

Did you guys ever take the car in to see what BMW said the problem was? If so, what was it and is it specific enough to have BMW work on it over another garage?

I'm getting the same code, but also have P0303, which is cylinder mis-fire...so I'm not driving it at the moment.

My Cars
    2006 BMW 325 i

P1553 meaning

According to Irvine BMW, P1553 is a code attached to the Vanos solenoid (valve positioning system). There can be several causes:

1. Solenoid is bad and needs to be replaced ($650 parts and labor)
    2. Engine oil is dirty and causing Vanos to stick. (much cheaper)

My Cars
    2004 BMW 745i sport
    Bank 1 refers to inlet/intake camshaft. The intake vanos solenoid is faulty(cleaning it/changing oil wont fix it). Theres two solenoids on the front of your cylinder head, the top one is the inlet.

My Cars
    328I, 1999.
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreen94z View Post
    Bank 1 refers to inlet/intake camshaft. The intake vanos solenoid is faulty(cleaning it/changing oil wont fix it). Theres two solenoids on the front of your cylinder head, the top one is the inlet.
    I had 1554 code a few months ago, I took out the Solenoid valves, cleaned them in petrol (without opening them while submerged), and changed oil. Took care of it, and after 5 months got another msg... i.e. 1553 this time .

Replacing them is easier than cleaning them. Anyone knows how much is the part alone? In addition, what can I do to check before actually replacing them?
    Thanks.
    umermariner

My Cars
    328xi 2007
    It takes about 20 minutes to replace both on 328. The original part costs about $135 from a dealer.

My Cars
    328I, 1999.
    Funny thing, after I cleaned them in 2012, I got error code again after 7 years (P1553 now) .... I changed the oil about couple of months ago, so that shouldn't be the issue. It comes and goes, when its extremely cold, when I start up. Once it warm, and I restart the car, it usually goes away.
    Lets see what I do this time ...
    umermariner